PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Black Friday ,will you be tempted ??

Options
I was watching part of the Martin Lewis show on TV and he said that apparently its often better to wait for the January sales if you can for better deals

This 'Black' friday seems to be another U.S.import to this country

Yesterday I got a promo code via my computer which I used and did save almost £90. on ferry tickets and it was a genuine offer as I had already priced up the tickets a couple of weeks ago so knew how much it would normally cost for two cars next August for our family holiday to the Isle of Wight.

But the shopping frenzy today seems a bit excessive at times and unless you really want something (as i did for our holiday ) I don't think I could warrant spending out four weeks before Christmas as a lot of people do .So will you all be splashing out or will you be hanging on to your cash ? For the shopkeepers its obviously a chance to get their tills ringing ,but with the cost of living rising and money getting shorter for most people I think encouraging folk to splurge perhaps on things that if they stopped and thought about they maybe wouldn't buy.
I certainly find it funny that anyone would need to spend over £500 on a TV with a curved screen ,won't make the programmes better and I think I would rather have the 500 in my pocket to help pay the bills in January Perhaps this 'Black friday spending spree' is what gets folks into debt so quickly. What do you think ??

Comments

• firefox1956
    Options
    Not at all interested in Black Friday..........
    Sorry to all the retailers
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    Ditto.....I am not one of the people who will spend us out of a problem.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I won’t be diving into that particular pool. Pah!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great minds an'all that, JackieO! I've just posted a Buy Nothing Day thread! :T
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 November 2017 at 10:41AM
    Options
    I don't buy stuff as I've not got the spare income to buy stuff.
    I've never bought anything in the new Black Friday promos - it's just a promo.

If I genuinely had something on my list of "wants/needs" that was actually spotted by me and was an actual saving over the cheapest price I'd already researched/found then I'd buy it - but, in the main, I'm never looking at the prices of things as I don't buy stuff :)

I also "couldn't cope with" the whole fear of missing it/missing out ... I'd be sad forever if I thought I spotted something and then thought I "missed out" :(

I'd doing my usual today: watching TV and eating yesterday's leftovers. No online buying for me!

As for a telly with a curved screen at £500 ... I had absolutely NO idea such things even existed. I've got a regular TV "cheapest at Argos" bought 6 years ago that's 2nd hand to me, cost about £100 at the time.

I'm watching my TV on my sofa I bought for £40 - and typing on the £200 PC I bought in 2006.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a list of things on Amazon in my wishlist that family would appreciate, or that we want. Newish board game that in laws would love (drunken game playing with them is something we also relish!). It was £30 which I found a wee steep, but down to £15 was acceptable, so I bit the bullet. Will make them some reusable shopping bags too :) Nothing else I'd already identified as wanting/needing was on sale, so I swiftly exited the browser tab.

I also checked eurotunnel/eurostar for any deals but looks like best ones come in January so I'm holding off for our various planned trips, for now.

I don't see anything wrong with taking advantage of discounts IF you already know you want/need it and know you can afford it. We budget £500 for Christmas by tucking away £40 a month, so it's all sitting there waiting for me to buy little bits for immediate family.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm looking at deals for xmas presents but never buy anything I didn't want anyway :)

The MSE Deals Team is working hard to highlight the deals (and the duds) - and to remind you it's only a bargain if you were buying it anyway!

Check the dedicated alerts page to see the latest info:
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Like some of you guys, I only buy if I was planning to anyway and it's cheaper.

I've got my list of things I need and would happily get a discount on (give me a shout if anyone sees a nice sturdy non-plastic garden composter going cheap!) but that's it.

I got my kids to do their letters to Santa the other day so I know what they want. Of course mums has to check what they've asked the big man for to make sure he'd be able to fit down the chimney with the sack :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it in the first place. Otherwise it's a waste of money. Black Friday IMO encourages people to spend money they don't have on rubbish they don't need but are convinced that they want.
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I was going to make a festive purchase today, as it's Pay Day and I've got a quiet morning at work. I hadn't realised it was Consumer Frenzy Friday.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport