Argos refund or not.

Options

Comments

• RichardD1970
    Options
    Just out of interest, are there any companies that will allow someone to bring back a used, non faulty item for a full refund, no questions asked?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I still do not think that it is unreasonable to bring back a tv after a few days so long as it is in a re-saleable condition. I don't think someone should be stuck with a tv (that all being well, can be in the house for 10+ years)
    As far as this particular part of MSE is concerned, what someone thinks is reasonable or unreasonable shouldn't matter when giving replies to a question.
    This is because it's the consumer rights part of the forum and the simple fact is that if Argos wish to refuse refunds for goods that have been used and deemed unsuitable then provided this refusal is done in accordance with the relevant laws, they are doing nothing wrong.

If someone wants to comment on returns policies because they don't agree with them then the "praise, vent and warning" forum is the right place for it.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Just out of interest, are there any companies that will allow someone to bring back a used, non faulty item for a full refund, no questions asked?

No, of course not. If there ever were, they would go out of business instantly. Plenty of people would buy everything there, return it after a fortnight and get a different one. Everyone would do this with things that you only need once every few months, using it like a hire shop. How could it possibly work?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Anyway, I'd like to say this generally: Just like we warn our children that when you 'talk' to people on the internet - they may not be who they purport to be - just so on these forums. Through the high profile of Martin Lewis - I and probably others - come to website to gain consumer advice on buying decisions. Companies know this - and every so often there are newspaper stories of people who work for a company and thus have a vested interest - masquerade on the internet pretending to be consumers. So, I say to anyone reading these forums to be careful and try to make your own mind up - irrespective if another poster slates someone - look to whether the essence of what the original poster makes sense. I still do not think that it is unreasonable to bring back a tv after a few days so long as it is in a re-saleable condition. I don't think someone should be stuck with a tv (that all being well, can be in the house for 10+ years) - if they were wanting to access the ITV hub to access say, Coronation Street. I myself, am getting older and have to confess to not keeping up with the new technology. Some of us don't even know the right questions to ask (eg: does this tv have ITV hub installed?) - there aren't many of those local stores anymore, where the person serving you - may well have been the owner or an expert - who would be able to explain everything to you and advise you of the best option. I sit on seats on buses, use cutlery at restaurants etc etc - that I know have been used by people outside of my immediate family - so again, I have no qualms about the tv. Besides, according to the latest research - this constant low-level exposure to other people's germs - is good for us. Too much use of antibiotics and anti-bacterial products is apparently lowering our natural defences!

Smart TVs are presumably in the same category as computers....they need to be set up for initial use, which something they do immediately on powering up. Once you have done this they are no longer new and cannot be sold as new.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

QVC allow you to return used products within the first 30 days, though I would expect that there would be limits as to the frequency with which a customer could use/abuse this policy.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Comet used to have a policy that allowed returns that other wouldn’t have. I don’t know if it was official policy or not but one of my current colleagues worked for them up until they closed and he said they were always told to just accept any return.

It’s obviously a business model that didn’t work out so well for them.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    QVC allow you to return used products within the first 30 days, though I would expect that there would be limits as to the frequency with which a customer could use/abuse this policy.

I would say that although they may well allow returns of used goods, they have a good mark up on some goods to cover any possible losses.

I recently bought a Miele washing machine from an online retailer and this cost me £840 with free delivery
    QVC have the same machine on a special offer at "only" £999 + £50 delivery so buying from QVC with the option of returning it if I didn't like it would have cost me an £209 + the return cost if I decided to send it back.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would say that although they may well allow returns of used goods, they have a good mark up on some goods to cover any possible losses.

I recently bought a Miele washing machine from an online retailer and this cost me £840 with free delivery
    QVC have the same machine on a special offer at "only" £999 + £50 delivery so buying from QVC with the option of returning it if I didn't like it would have cost me an £209 + the return cost if I decided to send it back.

I only purchase from them occasionally, when their price is competitive, which is usually when they have a bundled deal on offer. They actually were the cheapest when we were looking at buying a Vax steam cleaner and it came with a substantial amount of the cleaning fluids too. As we weren't sure whether the machine would be powerful enough to deal with cleaning a whole house (large house entirely hard floored) it sealed the deal as we knew we could return it. Wish we had bought the Dyson Animal from them, even though they were about a tenner more, as that definitely would have gone back. It would have been worth the return postage to not have to hear my husband's daily swearing as it fails to pick up something as simple as a few crumbs.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy a firestick got all the apps u want £25 at the moment.
    Sony tv have usually got great picture quality,in settings check if its set for store display,change to home user. Also does the tv have wifi connection.

Youtube is good for how to set up the tv
  • Nicfaz92
    Options
    I USED to work for Currys specifically on the customer service desk. For those concerned they cannot see the quality of a T.V. from Argos,you should know that while Currys operate a strict UNWANTED/UNOPENED returns policy (with it stated very clearly that the item much be UNOPENED in its original condition should you want to return it because you simply don't want it) they do also have pretty much all of their products out on display for you to look at/touch. Sales assistants are available to show you the specifics of a T.V. in comparison with Argos who have a load of tablets to look at products on and tills to pay at. While I appreciate this doesn't much help online shoppers, for those who want to see the T.V. with its factory settings slightly edited or whatever it is possible to do this before taking the T.V. home (provided of course the item you want is available at Currys)

Again I only USED to work for Currys and I'm not championing them in any way I'm simply saying there are other retailers that make it possible for you to see an item before taking it home and deciding it isn't for you. Also I will add having worked in customer service it mat surprise you just how any people are UNWILLING to take an electrical item that has been opened by another customer. Comparing a several hundreds of pounds T.V. to an item of clothing may be a tad unreasonable :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure