The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,373 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Their chocolates are over expensive & over rated.
    I got a gift voucher for them ages ago.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2018 at 3:38PM
    Options
    I really enjoyed the chocolates Beanie, just not to the extent that I was willing to pay £2-3 per chocolate! :eek:

On a financial note, I just read the report for my pension fund for last year and we're actually fully funded :j
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    When I checked, the Coffee Tamper I coveted was £139! :eek: - So DH will make me one. He is a Tech Teacher and they have to be used regularly or they go rusty (Tech Teachers, not coffee tampers)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    Options
    When I checked, the Coffee Tamper I coveted was £139! :eek: - So DH will make me one. He is a Tech Teacher and they have to be used regularly or they go rusty (Tech Teachers, not coffee tampers)

:rotfl:

What on earth is it made of? The shin of a saint? :D

Work frustrating me a little today. Was just asked to supply the references that I supplied 20 days ago :(
  • beanielou
    Options
    Boo to work :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Suffolk_lass
    Options
    I think it is a trendy thing - I thought I was reckless, spending £500 on the Gaggia coffee machine, about fifteen years ago but the one in said article was sitting there with the "expert" review and a brazen £3k ticket. I do wonder who lives on his planet. I mean, it is London, and there are probably loads of people with more money than I can imagine, but there are also all the trendy "Hoxton Hipster-types" for whom the word of a trend-setter or expert is like the word of the priest before the industrial revolution - "they said, you did". It is probably just the next generation of capitalism, manifesting itself.

Regarding our poor posh machine, that has resided in a cupboard for years because the kitchen here is 1/3 size of our old house, we have just agreed to jiggle some kit around in the house and get it out and deploy it in the Dining Room (if it still works). Just in time for me retiring after Christmas. I'm happy with that.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edited 12 September 2018 at 9:14AM
    Options
    Retiring before :santa2:? How exciting! There has been a wee spate of people retiring in our world - MIL and my mum retired over the last two years and dad will be joining her in January. In fact, FIL is the only person who seems to be trapped by OMY syndrome, possibly because of his work ethic and the fact that he has always been the breadwinner?

I like our posh coffee machine (also £500), but was absolutely disgusted by a recent discovery of two earwigs in a non coffee storing/preparing part of the machine :eek:

(New) work have sought references from current boss, so things appear to be moving again.

I have been reading a bit more about life after matched betting on the Fir3starter blog and am starting to mull over the possibilities of returning to what was the most profitable side job I have ever had :think: Like all these things, I think I need to get my head around how the maths relates to the risk profile of the proposed activities. I can't afford to waste money, but I am young enough and flexible enough to be able to live with variance and unpredictability. On the other hand, MB for a big time suck for me and I need to be able to balance money with family....
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Preliminary toe dipping back into the world of MB took place yesterday and was a very forgiving success :)

Just under £48 profit for about 3 hours of minimal effort, I think that's pretty good going :j

I will not discuss the specifics as I am a bit of an old hand at MB. As I have killed many of my accounts, it is no longer truly risk free, but I am doing everything in my power to be sensible, "diversify" and manage my cashflow in a well behaved, no drama fashion. On the plus side, "new" MB is considerably less effort than old MB, with the biggest risk being sequence of returns, not potentially cocking up with an exchange and losing a fortune :rotfl:

It felt good to be earning some extra money again. I CBA with surveys, earning 50p after postage selling books, or any of the low value crap any more, so this has been a much needed shot in the arm. Long may it continue!
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have done the free offers, but really struggle to understand MB. I wish I did! Seems like a good side hustle to have :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • beanielou
    Options
    MB is just beyond me.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback