The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,434 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I love real hankies and some lovely (to me) ones with teddies.
    I use them mainly to clean my glasses. ��
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Urgh - it's Tuesday!

Bad dreams and chills last night, really must get that letterbox replaced :D

£0.22 paid off a CC, I am reading (and very much enjoying) Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood :coffee:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my .... not a title I was familiar with ... so much reading to do!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    It's rather fab. I have long suspected you are the English Margaret Atwood :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's rather fab. I have long suspected you are the English Margaret Atwood :D
    **gulps** Ooh I say! Notice how English I went just then? That definitely encourages me to go for it, Ed, thank you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for giving me some inspiration for a February goal. Need to get reading again, so 3 books in February seems like a good target.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

And don't get me started on 'branded' tissues. Like branded medicine, they're a !!!!!! attempt by advertisers to cash in on the fact that we feel vulnerable when we're ill and that only their magical snot collection product will deliver the level of care that you want, nay deserve!

Don't wrap it up in cotton wool (or tissues) ed; say what you really mean! :rotfl:;)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Urgh. Toxic work colleague is on a rampage again, having to stand my ground a lot to prevent them taking over every aspect of our team's efforts. I dislike this :( I'd think it was me, but they were basically hounded from their last job for being a workzilla...
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 1:32AM
    Options
    Frankly I worry about the increasing role of HR in who is actually employed. They seem to employ people who tick the correct boxes but totally ignore their personallities & don't seem to have any sense of "them leaving their last job was odd perhaps we should ask their previous employer a specific question".

This can land up with bullies being put in yet another position to bully after having left a job due to that bullying. Such as an employee bragging that he left his last job because he had held a subordinate up by the throat against some warehouse racking.

The more senior bullying becomes the more mental rather than physical it becomes but it will always be buulying.

The more a company relies on tick boxes rather than their guts the worse this is going to get.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    I agree completely badmemory - it's worse in that my boss is completely aware that colleague has a toxic reputation and seemed to think they'd be able to handle them better. It's fine when you don't need to share an office with them! :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback