We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: BT gives broadband customers free speed upgrades and extra cloud storage

Options

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    that's a good idea. Has speed test increased?

You can see if the improvement is worth while purchasing a new dongle
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Well I guess a number of users will benefit.

I'd have 3mbos for free

Quite amazed bt have done this. Must be trying to retain their remaining customers

doubt it, just trying to get rid of the lower priced package.

then when you come up for renewal it'll be oh that will be £20 extra per month, no we don't do the lower speed package anymore.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 848 Forumite
    Options
    I got a speed boost, I had 52 M and it has gone up to 57 M (all these numbers would have been a dream 6 months ago when I struggled to get 1M) BUT being as my house is less than 300 meters from the cabinet shouldn't it be faster still?

just because you're close to the cabinet doesn't mean your line is that long, it could go on the loop all around your area and then back to the cabinet

but up to about 600m line length and you should get the full speed, then the drop off it pretty sharp for any longer lines.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2017 at 8:57AM
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    doubt it, just trying to get rid of the lower priced package.

then when you come up for renewal it'll be oh that will be £20 extra per month, no we don't do the lower speed package anymore.

If they did this, then their customers would have a penalty free way of leaving for another ISP that does offer a lower speed package ,and the current real world difference between 1 and 2 is £5-£10 , not £20, and there will be customers that won't benefit from this free speed boost because the line speed is already as fast as it can be ....a more likely theory is Infinity 2 will become 'G.fast' lines , and offer speeds upto something like 330Mb/s

At the moment they appear to be upsetting people who pay more for Infinity 2 but receive the same as those on Infinity 1 but have been speed boosted upto Infinity 2 speeds but paying Infinity 1 prices, you would imagine a freebie will be along at some point for Infinity 2 customers
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,599 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2017 at 9:35AM
    Options
    Hmm I tested my broadband on my phone and it is 71Mb but on my laptop it tops out at 54Mb. So yay I'm upgraded even more than I thought, just need to figure out why it's only on my phone.

There are various Wireless standards that are faster than 54mb/s. Either your laptop doesn't support any of them, or it only supports ones that the router doesn't.

My new laptop tops out at 65mb/s, while my old laptop could bond more channels on 5ghz and was over 100mb/s.

You need to do research on what WiFi standards the laptop and router support, then see if there is anything in the configuration that can be changed.

Like this:
    https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    .....You make an interesting point, however please note most other peoples fibre 1 package is upto 38Mb.

After leaving TalkTalk, we firstly went to BT and got a Homehub 5 router on an 18 month contract and I believe we were on 17mbps. When that contract finished, I swapped to Plusnet because they were offering a cheaper contract and I knew I could use the BT HH5 router with Plusnet, and our speed package increased to 38mbps and we coped with that just fine. Once the 18 month contract was up with Plusnet, I went back to BT because this time BT were offering a cheaper contract with higher fibre speed plus, I wanted a brand new BT Homehub 6 and a 12 month contract and our package increased to 52mbps.

So you can see, we've experienced a range of different speeds on the line, but it finally seems that we have reached the 'maximum' limit our line will handle, hence why I stated I wouldn't 'waste' money seeking a package offering a speed any higher than the 55mbps we are now getting because I don't believe a higher speed is attainable on our line.
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    seems I need a ac protocol wireless card but mine is only n
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Bungaroosh
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    At the moment they appear to be upsetting people who pay more for Infinity 2 but receive the same as those on Infinity 1 but have been speed boosted upto Infinity 2 speeds but paying Infinity 1 prices, you would imagine a freebie will be along at some point for Infinity 2 customers

Yep ... "upgrade" as an existing Infinity 2 customer and get £18.50 a month off for 18 months ...
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5732026
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2017 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Just go to you router address which will be :

Select 'Status', it then shows your download and upstream sync speed, If you have been upgraded, your upstream speed should be nearly 20, if it's still around 10, keep waiting..
  • majorchudley
    Options
    I have BT Infinity 2 and although we were promised speeds of up to 75mb we have 1.0 to 3.5 so an upgrade would be a joy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure