PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok looking at week 2 for £50 for 4 of us and I'm struggling to find a way to make it into a week menu I can use on a permanent basis. Is £50 doable as now that the freezer is a bit bare and the cupboards are run down I'm worried I'm not going to be able to manage it.
    Living the simple life
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    £100 again for me, hopefully this month I can stick to it!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please can I go down for £350 for November? Hoping to reduce further for next month, economising starting to bite next month! :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • pajama
    pajama Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Please put me down for £280 Thank you
    Grocery Challenge - Sept £205.56/£350.00

• PennyGrabber
    Options
    Evening all,

I've just made a delish dinner, trying to follow the ethos of Jamie Oliver and only using 5 ingredients. Was well impressed with it. I used onions, chorizo, tinned toms, chilli flakes and spaghetti. Of course, it was served with grated cheese on top, which doesn't count as an ingredient, because, well, it's cheese!! I must hang my head in shame - it's the first time I'd ever cooked with chorizo!

This leads me on to a question... The chorizo is best before/use by (forget which) 2nd Nov. can I freeze it in chunks to use in the future? Think it might need to be a staple now - I only used about 25p worth!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks as always to zippy, Coxy and lynnejk for running the thread and keeping us all organised!

I'd like to set my budget at £165 - This is from 26 Oct to 25 Nov.

This works out at £33 a week for 5 weeks. As usual, it's technically a 4.5 week month, but I am trying to get in the habit of acting as though there are 5 weeks, so I have with extra at the beginning or end.

I have done my first shop tonight: £29.55 in Sainsbobs and 65p in A1di for super 6 mushrooms. This leaves £2.80 for the rest of my first week (weeks start Thursdays for me), and from this I expect to get another broccoli, some salad leaves, garlic, bananas and perhaps clementines, but probably not unless I catch the veg man.

Lost 3 pounds in my first week of Slimming World and also won the raffle! So I have all the ingredients to make a pumpkin curry, a pack of 4 jacket potatoes, a funny pumpkin carving kit plus a pack of slow cooker bags - I hadn't heard of these, but apparently you put them in and the food goes in them and when you take it out it means the slow cooker is clean so you don't need to wash it up or take up space in the dishwasher! I will look forward to trialling these - there are 5 in the pack I won!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Grannymolly
    Options
    Could you pop me down for £300 please! Would be £250 but we’ve got 2 birthdays in November 😖
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please put me down for £120 this month thanks.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    Ok looking at week 2 for £50 for 4 of us and I'm struggling to find a way to make it into a week menu I can use on a permanent basis. Is £50 doable as now that the freezer is a bit bare and the cupboards are run down I'm worried I'm not going to be able to manage it.

I would say it's just about possible, as long as you plan really carefully, and have a few cheap and cheerful meals throughout the week. Good luck!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I join this month's challenge with a budget of £360 please?

This works out at an average of £90. Last month I came in at an average of £92.88/week which is the best result I have had in about 3 years! :eek:

I think we could get lower than £90/week but I will be covering our Christmas food out of November and December I will wait until the new year to cut back further.

We got our stuffed turkey joint in Mr T today (there are only 3 of us for dinner this year) for £5 and it's GF!! :D Christmas won't cost much this year as we are not catering for anyone and not going mad on the extras.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills