PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Evening All.

Just wrapping up October and starting to think about November

Can you please put me down for £150?

That will cover food and drink plus any social activities - given I normally go somewhere with a friend and we take turns paying for either tickets or food to split the costs.

Next month I need to buy cat food/litter and be prepared to pay for vet trips for Stupid Face with the Broken Tail (that's his indian name...)

I'm also planning two lunches with friends plus possibly a cinema trip - because I really want to watch Thor :o

I've got a meat delivery from muscle food already paid for so that came from the October budget and as far as buying things for Christmas - there's only me to worry about so I sometimes wait for the reductions and have my Christmas dinner in January ;)

We'll see...
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • BearPearSun
    Options
    I've just finished my first main shop of the month. It was more expensive than usual so maybe the meals we have planned this week are more expensive.

I still need to buy coffee, I've recently dropped a brand from Douwe Egbert, I don't like the Asda or Lidl own brand so I go to Sainsbbury just for their own brand coffee! There's a few bits to get from Lidl And the local Chinese supermarket. I feel like I'm failing on day 1!

£31.85/£245
    32 year old woman with a husband and 3 cats...

November 2017: -£26423
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I still need to buy coffee, I've recently dropped a brand from Douwe Egbert, I don't like the Asda or Lidl own brand so I go to Sainsbbury just for their own brand coffee! There's a few bits to get from Lidl And the local Chinese supermarket. I feel like I'm failing on day 1!

I tried swapping from Douwe Egberts coffee too but nothing else worked for me, so now I plan it - so I only buy it when the large jars are on offer for £4 instead of £6.75 in Morries and I buy several so I don't run out between offers.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who takes part in this thread. November is a 4 week month for me so I'd like to be put down for £200 please. I'm going to concentrate on human food this month as there's plenty of money in the pet food pot. I like to keep stocked up on pet food/cat litter during the winter in case of snow so I'll do a separate order for that. Our nearest supermarket is 7 minutes away walking but if I have to do the walk in bad weather I'd rather not be carrying bags of cat litter with me.

The freezer is still full and there's plenty of milk, bread and veg in so fingers crossed for a low spending month.
  • BearPearSun
    Options
    Suffolk lass my husband has just told me he isn't enjoying the Sainsbury's and wants to move back to the nice one so I will wait until I see it on offer, I'll keep an eye out, thanks!
    32 year old woman with a husband and 3 cats...

November 2017: -£26423
  • njk1012
    njk1012 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you put me down for £400 for November please. This covers all food, non alcoholic drinks, cleaning and toiletries etc for 3 adults one hollow legged teenager and the pets (pet food bedding etc). Plus who ever else ends up staying with us (regularly have extra people or pets for some reason).

We managed this last month but there were only 4 Fridays (weekly shop day) and this month there are 5 so should be interesting.
    Grocery Challenge Sept 2021 £95.40/£500
    Declutter and Clean - 66
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Suffolk lass my husband has just told me he isn't enjoying the Sainsbury's and wants to move back to the nice one so I will wait until I see it on offer, I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

I just had a look BearPearSun and it is £5 instead of £6.57 at the moment. The base price has gone up so maybe the reduction has dropped by a pound too.

I do the same with laundry detergent and shower gel too - instead of downshifting my preferred brands. I have a separate stores fund that is a sixth of my annual budget to fund this. All my store-cupboard stuff comes out of that pot now
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2017 at 4:48PM
    Options
    I've started my Nov budget early with a £20.93 spend, I was trying to hold off until the 1st but I had a "just for me" £4 off a next shop voucher that needed to be used and there were a couple of items on special that I wanted to get before the offer changed at the end of the month. So I thought I'd be as well to do a bigger shop stocking up on meat and fish for the freezer.

I have enough bread and fresh veg to last about 7-10 days, so hopefully I wont be back here posting till then. The menu plan for the week goes as follows
    Sat - Ham Tetrazzini, parsnip chips, peas.
    Sun - Turkey Kofta, bulgur, salad, raita
    Mon - Bean Casserole, sweet potato mash, green beans
    Tues - Chicken....something .
    Wed - Oven baked "All day breakfast"
    Thurs - Chicken Salad, new potatoes
    Fri - SC Gammon, pineapple, chips, peas & sweetcorn.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just done my first shop for November a total of £91.58 across 2 supermarkets.
    I've enough to last the week plus I've started Christmas shopping/cooking so I now have enough ingredients for 3 Christmas cakes, 3 Christmas puddings, plus Ch Dried Fruit compote and other bits and pieces like rummed raisins, all to go in the store cupboard or freezer.

Now I need to defrost a freezer and get organised. :D
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    My month started on 25/10/17. I know that i am bit late in posting. £140 for me please.

so far spent £28.31, which includes loo rolls, as we are getting short and a tub of choccies for any trick or treaters that may or may not come round tonight.

Not sure what we will have for dinner, as we got an apple pie when shopping out this morning and takeaway left overs from last night.

Tomorrow, it is going to be batch cooking pasta sauce with lots of veggies, as there are a bit that are decidedly looking dodgy. At least it will be easy to use them when home late from work.

Have a good rest o the weekend all.

SILxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family