PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    Options
    £150 again for me please this month :) Thank you!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    Not quite started the new month for me yet, but I'm aiming for £200 this month as well :)
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Hiya! Can I be down for $AU1000 please. That includes shopping for my girls' birthday party, and I've already spent $189/1000 even though I'm simultaneously still on the October thread.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Grannymolly
    Options
    Spent £53 for November so far, just stocked up on some cat food that was on offer but will last 2 weeks and some squash and meat etc too :)
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • butterfly2507
    Options
    Please put me down for 200 € this month! I might make it to "only" 150 since we don't go shopping next week but we'll see :)
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 October 2017 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Newbie to this thread but been working hard over the last year to reduce our household shopping bills.
    Target for November is £400 starting from yesterday as I shop Saturdays so that's 5 shops.
    2 adults, on a limited diet due to allergies (soya ,peanuts, alliums, shellfish), one cat, 4 rats and a hamster! To inlcude all food plus household cleaning stuff, toiletries etc.
    Supermarket shop yesterday was £96.14 but we had toothbrush heads and coffee to buy.

Officially in a clique of idiots
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 October 2017 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Evening all,

I've just made a delish dinner, trying to follow the ethos of Jamie Oliver and only using 5 ingredients. Was well impressed with it. I used onions, chorizo, tinned toms, chilli flakes and spaghetti. Of course, it was served with grated cheese on top, which doesn't count as an ingredient, because, well, it's cheese!! I must hang my head in shame - it's the first time I'd ever cooked with chorizo!

This leads me on to a question... The chorizo is best before/use by (forget which) 2nd Nov. can I freeze it in chunks to use in the future? Think it might need to be a staple now - I only used about 25p worth!

PG x

I freeze it all the time. A little goes a long way and always a good addition for flavour. I add some to homemade meatballs, rice dishes and even cheese sauce. Just needs to be chopped differently
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    Morning everyone!

I didn't enter the GC in October because I had two parties that ended up feeding us for a while afterwards, and I knew it would be a crazily busy month anyway, and I was right!! I'm doing the weekly shop today, but as it's still October, I'm not counting it in November as my month goes by the calendar. I don't need too much, as I'm trying desperately to use up some stocks - if I dont, we won't have anywhere to sit for xmas dinner!!!

Today's food plan is brioche/pain au chocolat for breakfast, stuff on toast for lunch and roast dinner pie for dinner. Which reminds me, I must make the pastry for that soon!

Hope everyone has a good day. The only place I'm going is aldililly, so I hope to have minimal spends (less than £20).

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I freeze it all the time. A little goes a long way and always a good addition for flavour.

Thank you! I assumed it could be, but wasn't 100% sure... I'll chop it up into chunks for freezing now! X
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you! I assumed it could be, but wasn't 100% sure... I'll chop it up into chunks for freezing now! X

It's a little messy on the fingers but if you are using it as a base for something like Bolognese or risotto then you can grate it while still frozen then pop it right back into the freezer - zero waste :p
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Can you please put me down for £150?

Just did the last shop for October and declared £181.33 - which I'm happy with because it includes a meat delivery for November.

The shop today should mean no need to spend until next weekend - getting my budget off to a good start. I work 4 days a week so the plan for the week ahead is:

Breakfast - porridge or overnight oats (depending on the weather and if I remember to prep the night before) with raspberries, bananas and/or apple.

Lunch - Couscous salad with diced bacon bits x 2, pea and ham soup x 2

Dinner - Tuna pasta bake, vegi lasagne, poached salmon (and side salads)
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure