PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• patchwork_cat
    Options
    I've just finished my first main shop of the month. It was more expensive than usual so maybe the meals we have planned this week are more expensive.

I still need to buy coffee, I've recently dropped a brand from Douwe Egbert, I don't like the Asda or Lidl own brand so I go to Sainsbbury just for their own brand coffee! There's a few bits to get from Lidl And the local Chinese supermarket. I feel like I'm failing on day 1!

£31.85/£245

£4.50 standard price at Poundstretcher
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    £300 for November please. October went a bit off track so need to reign it in a bit next month :o
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • purpleybat
    Options
    I tried swapping from Douwe Egberts coffee too but nothing else worked for me, so now I plan it - so I only buy it when the large jars are on offer for £4 instead of £6.75 in Morries and I buy several so I don't run out between offers.

this is what i do for dad.
    also the added bonus of getting the jar to use for storing pulses etc in after :D
    do you know by any chance when the next offer on it is due?
  • trifle-wist
    Options
    First spend of the month was an Ocado delivery that came to £18.37 after I used a £25 goodwill voucher. I used the opportunity to stock up on expensive dairy (parmesan, organic cheddar, organic butter), cupboard items such as oats, peanut butter, black beans as well as toilet roll and washing powder.

I probably also ought to include a Waitrose shop yesterday, which included a birthday plant for my MIL, the newspaper, and a huge bag of mixed nuts. Total of £5.30 (need to double check that).

After budgeting so carefully for the whole of October we ended up spending £13.59 on two steaks in Waitrose on Saturday! We can definitely afford it, but I'm annoyed with myself.

Anyway, with the first two shops I have £126.33 left to play with.
  • CattyCatX
    Options
    Can I be in for £200 again please? That's for everything except rent and bills... Fingers crossed this is a good month for me and that I also get some of the homemade xmas presents/decorations out of the way too! :)
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all - I'd like to join this as I've been frittering money away on work food and Just Eat deliveries while working horrendous hours, and we have an expensive housemove coming up. I have no idea what would make a reasonable budget to start with, so I guess I'll start with £300 (£75/week) and see how I get on. I'm going to be experimenting with vegetarian recipes so that should reduce some of the costs. I'll start by having porridge for breakfast (instead of buying something on the way into the office) and trying to figure out sandwiches or something for work lunches (instead of - again - buying something at work). The cupboards are pretty bare as we've been decluttering, so there'll be some stocking up needed over the next few days.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I'm in this month as I want to concentrate on the costs of what food comes into the house and where the temptations lie outside the house. I already know about Greggs, coffee shops, not making something to take to work for lunch :( I'm including toiletries, washing powder, cleaning products.)

I'll set the target at £135 for November as I'm away for 3 nights starting Friday; I thought breakfast was included at the hotel but it isn't, so have added a bit extra.
    Right, let's go to work on a shopping list based on what's in stock.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in this month as I want to concentrate on the costs of what food comes into the house and where the temptations lie outside the house. I already know about Greggs, coffee shops, not making something to take to work for lunch :( I'm including toiletries, washing powder, cleaning products.)

Temptations outside the house:- petrol stations especially those that have a M&S attached.
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I haven't caught up yet!

Spends tonight on some almond milk and AF beer so £5 however this was my money rather than food so shall not count it.

Currently roasting a squash for pasta tomorrow... however I seem to have packed the recipe book for making the squash into a sauce! Anyone got ideas?

X
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I haven't caught up yet!

Spends tonight on some almond milk and AF beer so £5 however this was my money rather than food so shall not count it.

Currently roasting a squash for pasta tomorrow... however I seem to have packed the recipe book for making the squash into a sauce! Anyone got ideas?

X
    You might find something on this site

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/explore/butternut-squash-pasta-sauce/
    HTH
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
This discussion has been closed.