Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    posh*spice wrote: »
    I don't know Ken Clarke might think it's worth it - he's old.

If he was promised a lordship, he'd fall into line.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Do the middle ground see the problem as coming from the eu or the uk? This is all playing out exactly like 48% of the voters predicted at the time.

The only people surprised at this stage are the ones that bought the lies about us having the eu over a barrel.
    As I've said I voted remain but yes I see it as mainly coming from EU, they have made no consessions they just made a list of demands and complained we haven't accepted them all.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Public opinion- all polls show no shift in public opinion. Leaving the EU still wins.
    No it doesn't.
    UK Voters Increasingly Unhappy With Plans to Leave EU
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/uk-voters-increasingly-unhappy-with-plans-to-leave-eu_2344248.html
    If we go to WTO the public won't even notice. We just need to be ready.
    How do we get ready? By stopping shopping in Aldi and Lidl and get back to Tesco and Sainsbury? :rotfl:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5486489
    We survived the financial crisis , so much worse than this. We survived WW2 we will not even notice this.
    Yeah.... we won the war!
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 11 November 2017 at 9:34AM
    Options
    The EU don't want a NO deal. A NO deal is damaging to the EU, even if that damage is much less that the damage to Britain.
    No member of the EU27 want any more damage than can be helped.

If only Britain had been good at negotiating the withdrawal, if only.
    Any competent negotiating team with a United and closed lipped Government behind them would have made much better progress.
    Posters here complain because the EU are proving a hard nut to crack. They should be complaining about the British sides lack of focus and unity.
    Any other country thinking of leaving the EU now know how complex that is but would definitely think they could make a better fist of negotiating than Britain.
    Frankly Britains incompetence and bungling in this matter has damaged Britains reputation and it will be a long time in its repair.
    Be glad that Britains civil servants and professional diplomats know what they are doing. They are hard at work on the pumps attempting to save the ship.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • ukcarper
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    The EU don't want a NO deal. A NO deal is damaging to the EU, even if that damage is much less that the damage to Britain.
    No member of the EU27 want any more damage than can be helped.

If only Britain had been good at negotiating the withdrawal, if only.
    Any competent negotiating team with a United and closed lipped Government behind them would have made much better progress.
    Posters here complain because the EU are proving a hard nut to crack. They should be complaining about the British sides lack of focus and unity.
    Any other country thinking of leaving the EU now know how complex that is but would definitely think they could make a better fist of negotiating than Britain.
    Frankly Britains incompetence and bungling in this matter has damaged Britains reputation and it will be a long time in its repair.
    Be glad that Britains civil servants and professional diplomats know what they are doing. They are hard at work on the pumps attempting to save the ship.
    What do you think the EU would actually accept before moving on.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    There's a very vocal minority who view paying any cash to the eu as unacceptable. I think that's why May is trying to link the payout to trade so she can say it's part of the ongoing trade deal and not the cost of breaking our obligations.

Seriously?
    They won't notice the extra time crossing customs? The price rises due to tariffs? The drop in public services from new austerity?

It's quite worrying that people thank posts such as the ones that posh*spice posts.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • fewgroats
    Options
    Public opinion- all polls show no shift in public opinion. Leaving the EU still wins.

This would show an ignorance on the Remoaner side on how to do dubious polls, for a start.

What I don't understand is why the Tories can't just call themselves the Total B Party or whatever and the referendum will have no meaning. It was only a "promise" from the Tories. You might have to lose Theresa May, but that's no great loss.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Christopher Chope, MP for Christchurch and serving on the 'Exiting the European Union Committee:

Difficult to see how any reponsible UK government could agree to any of that. Looks like the WTO route. ;)

Well if it is the WTO route we are all going to pay big time!
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two articles that were brought to my attention this week. Unsurprisingly I'm unfamiliar with either publication so can't say that they're either unbiased or accurate but I have no reason to doubt them.

Both articles suggest to me that it will be tougher and more expensive to source food in the coming years.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/brexit-exemption-sought-grimsby-seafood-736984

https://www.farminguk.com/news/Farms-will-see-complete-train-wreck-of-a-season-as-workers-decline_47873.html
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • ukcarper
    Options
    The above few post show the problem with this thread. Leaving on WTO terms will be detrimental to the UK but it will not be the major catastrophe that many remainers posters post conversely it will not go unnoticed as some brexiters say. The truth will be somewhere in between trade will still continue between EU and UK albeit at different levels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure