TV Licensing - Do I Need to Remove Antenna Cables from room?

Options

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2017 at 4:23PM
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    The conclusion reached by some here, is that the BBC needs to be replaced. My answer to that would be: with what? More commercial broadcasting?

A subscription model has been mentioned. So how is that to be collected? Perhaps by a levy on every taxpayer, or simply upon those who wish to watch and/or listen to BBC content? Maybe some sort of proof could be issued, as in a licence to qualify for being legally able to accept - oh, wait a moment...

Here are the facts. The BBC is not perfect. ("Oh, no!" I hear you cry) However, if it goes, that's the end. Whatever form it takes after that, it will never be the same again. When it's gone, it's gone.

Now I offer my own very contentious views. I am not H o m o p h o b i c. I have gay friends, even one who is TG. I consider them as good friends. But what gets me annoyed at the BBC, is the number of gays employed in broadcasting. Everything the Beeb does now, appears to be measured through the "Diversity" microscope. I repeat: I AM NOT ANTI GAY. It just strikes me that there is an unrepresentative number of gay people working for the BBC. To quote one of my friends, in a long term gay relationship, "Most of them flaunt themselves-" said with a shudder.

There: I said it. There will be recriminations I expect, but I don't care.
    My advice to you over the comments on "gays in the BBC " or anywhere else in the TV and film industry for that matter, is to get deleting some of your comments before someone reports you and you get a "sending off " or worse.
    If it was myself who had written that I think I would have been red carded and booted off completely from MSE by now.
    Even TVlicence Resistance do not quite stoop so low, but they certainly pull out all the stops out possibly to denigrate the BBC digging up the dirt on former employees of the BBC at every chance possible.
    Why they should do this is beyond me. I do not see the connections between someone trying to go, or claiming to be "legally licence free " and possible offences by a long dead or former employee of good old Auntie BBC.
    I was brought up on Blue Peter with John Noakes and Val Singleton . A more wholesome chlidren`s program is impossible to find. The BBC still easily produce the best programs and at least go for the minority interests rather than constant mainstream programs appealing to the masses and advertisers
    The hatred of the BBC over on TVLR is quite clear to see if anyone wants to log onto the home page, it really is vicious !
    Anyone visiting this website for advice will maybe leave it thinking it is their moral duty to withdraw from paying the £147 out of pure outrage of the BBC employees present and former who have committed criminal acts.
    There will just as much as the same sort of "dirt " available to be dug up from ITV , Netflix etc if they fancied trawling around looking for it
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 21 November 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    ... I have gay friends, even one who is TG.

... what gets me annoyed at the BBC, is the number of gays employed in broadcasting. Everything the Beeb does now, appears to be measured through the "Diversity" microscope.

... there is an unrepresentative number of gay people working for the BBC.

"Most of them flaunt themselves-".

There: I said it. There will be recriminations I expect, but I don't care.

What a peculiar collection of views. I don't see how they are at all relevant to a thread on TV licensing and how to legally not have a licence. I also don't think there will be recriminations, apart from the affect on your own reputation on this forum. Your views are odd, but I don't find them offensive.

Some people are confused about their sexuality. You seem to be confused in your attitudes to sexuality! Or perhaps you have just not expressed yourself very well?

You have gay friends, one of whom is transgender. How unusual. Were they born male and are now lesbian, or born female but are now a gay man? They really are unusual, but I'm glad you have supported them in overcoming their unusual situations.

You are annoyed by the number of gay people working at the BBC? Really? Why? Most people who work at the BBC aren't on air. I have no idea how many people on the staff are gay. I am pretty sure the BBC don't know either.

Or do you just mean people who appear on our screens?

There are a few high profile people on BBC TV who are openly gay. But not a huge number. Off hand, I can think of five, and one of them doesn't talk about his sexuality on air. I think it's good that young gay people have positive role models. Not so long ago, they would have been threatened with prison and eternal damnation in the fires of hell.

I don't think gay people are over represented on the BBC.

I do think the BBC is too politically correct. Minority groups are probably statistically over represented in Drama and sit coms, and sometimes the roles of minorities in historical drama seem to be a representation of history as we wish it had been, rather than as it really was.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 November 2017 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Even TVlicence Resistance...
    The only remarkable thing is that you keep bringing them up. As I said before, they have no relevance to this thread or MSE in general. Theirs is an exercise in establishing a web-based niche within which to explore freedom of speech on a particular topic, and help LLF people who have fallen foul of TV Licensing. As long as they aren't doing any harm (which patently they aren't) then you should be applauding them, ... or at least ignoring them.
    ... to denigrate the BBC digging up the dirt on former employees of the BBC at every chance possible.
    Why they should do this is beyond me.

Go on, have a guess... oh wait...
    Anyone visiting this website for advice will maybe leave it thinking it is their moral duty to withdraw from paying the £147 out of pure outrage of the BBC employees present and former who have committed criminal acts.
    So, you DO know. You may find that an objectionable level of conscience, but clearly some people disagree, and that's their prerogative in a free society.
    There will just as much as the same sort of "dirt " available to be dug up from ITV , Netflix etc if they fancied trawling around looking for it
    Maybe, maybe not. But the situation is not the same - it is this question I was talking above a few posts ago: is there a corporate malaise that connects the various failings of the BBC? Clearly that's a question that people will take a different, subjective view upon. You may say not, and that's fine, but don't be unduly critical of people who legitimately take the opposite view, especially since (a) they are not here to defend themselves, and (b) you've mentioned them with the specific intention of denigrating what they say.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The TG person I refer to is a schoolfriend of my grandson. Born a girl, realised this was wrong for 'her' and became male, with sympathetic GP help. Most of his family practically disowned him at that point, but my grandson, to his eternal credit and my everlasting pride, supported and protected him. My whole family assisted in helping the new boy become a whole person. It was an education for us I believe. On leaving school and finding a job, my gs rented a place and his friend joined him, until his divorced dad in another town could find a bigger flat and give him a home. I should state at this point that my gs and his mate were just that: mates, although I would not have been troubled if it was more than that. Our views as a family, are that everyone finds love where they can. Which leads me to asking, why are my views and opinions weird? I can assure you that I know of many people who share those views and opinions. Are they all weird? Is this a thinly-veiled comment upon people of other cultures and racial differences, by the way? -

" Minority groups are probably statistically over represented in Drama and sit coms, and sometimes the roles of minorities in historical drama seem to be a representation of history as we wish it had been, rather than as it really was. "

I honestly believe that gays are over-represented in the entertainment industry as a whole, and particularly at the BBC. I made no reference to any other sector of society. If you accept the fact of gay people within the BBC, why can you not accept that in Britain today, there is a sizeable minority of people with skin of a different colour, and/or from different cultures, and that they are represented within BBC programming? There: that's the biter, bit.

I accepted that there would be opposition to my views, but why the call for my post to be "sent off" or "deleted"? It's called Free Speech.

I have shown the original post and this page (before I post it) to 2 gay friends and a Trinidad-born mate. They all find it reasonable comment.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Nick_C
    edited 21 November 2017 at 7:12PM
    Options
    So is your grandson's friend now living as a gay man? If not, then you seem to be confusing two completely different issues; homosexuality and gender dysphoria.

Getting annoyed by the number of gay people working for the BBC is peculiar, and that's putting it kindly. What percentage of people appearing on BBC TV are gay? What do you think it should be? What do you think is the percentage of gay people in the UK? To what extent do you think gay people are over represented? And if they are, why is that a problem.

As for gay people being over represented in the entertainment industry, I would tend to agree. But I don't see it as a problem. Why do you? Its a cliche, but I think gay men tend to be more empathetic and open to expressing their feelings than straight men. That probably accounts for their success in the Theatre, as well as their over representation in caring professions such as nursing and the hospitality sector.

I fully support free speech, and I haven't called for your remarks to be reported or deleted. But I do find them peculiar.

Re my comments about minorities in historical dramas. Black people are certainly a case in point. It's almost as if the BBC have a policy of mandating at least one black character in any historical drama. These characters usually are reasonably affluent and well educated, and hold good positions in society. Sadly, that was unlikely to have been the reality.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no idea whether or not he is living as a gay man now. Read my last and you will understand that he left to live with his divorced dad, who did not disown him as the rest of his family did. If he has adopted a gay lifestyle and we meet him again, it will make no difference to how we greet him and welcome him into our homes: he knows myself and my family well enough to realise that.

I don't know why you find my remarks peculiar: I do not have an anti - gay bias, but I did make a poor choice of words by stating that I was 'annoyed' by the number of gay people working at the BBC. I would now not say it annoyed me, but rather it is irritating that there appears to be an unrepresentative number. To me, that is akin to your reaction, of the BBC "... mandating at least one black character in any historical drama. "

My Trinidad-born mate of almost 70 years, agrees with you there. He says that he cannot control his laughter at such scenes. However, his biggest amusement was some years ago, when Kevin Costner played Robin Hood opposite Morgan Freeman as a "Moor". His objection to that piece of historical licence, is twofold:
    *A Moor would have been a member of a group of people who took, owned and sold black slaves from deeper in the African continent.
    *A Moor would have been Robin's mortal enemy.

He calls it " a piece of Hysterical fiction."
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Nick_C
    edited 21 November 2017 at 9:01PM
    Options
    It was your comment "I have gay friends, even one who is transgender" that made it sound as if you knew someone who is both gay and transgender, which is pretty rare.

I don't think my comment about minorities in historical dramas is equivalent to yours about gay people being over represented on the BBC. A black character in a historically inaccurate role is simply ridiculous, and seems to be done purely for political correctness. I don't think gay people are over represented on TV though. I've watched a couple of hours of BBC programming today. I've not seen one person whom I know to be gay. I may have seen some gay people, I don't know.

As I said before, I can think of only 5 openly gay people who appear regularly on the BBC. Is that too many? Why are they over represented?

What percentage of people in TV programmes are gay? What percentage do you think there should be?

You remind me of my mother, who would be 92 if she was still alive. As a child, I would watch TV with her and she would say "he's a Jew", "she's a Jew". My reaction was always "so what", and continues to be. Oh, and of course some of her best friends were Jewish, so she wasn't racist! Lol

Jews are possibly over represented in the media. I don't have statistics to know whether they are or not. Nor did I inherit my mother's ability to spot a Jew at 500 places. But if they are, so what?
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It was your comment "I have gay friends, even one who is transgender" that made it sound as if you knew someone who is both gay and transgender, which is pretty rare.

It's not rare at all. Trust me on this! :-)
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    This has NOTHING at all to do with the thread title.......???
  • Agent_Rothbard
    Options
    fooby1 wrote: »
    there is a regular TV antenna and Sky satellite cable coming in through the wall. It's a rental, so I'd rather not chop the cables, but if they wanted to, could I be fined for having cables coming into my living room that could produce a live TV signal?

I've seen very many alarming YouTube videos of Capita employees taking it upon themselves to install TV receiving equipment by plugging in unused cables. I have removed the plug from my aerial cable, stored it completely away in a different room and installed a piece of terminal block on the bare wires at the end of the cable. That way, unless the Capita employees fit a new plug, they cannot install TV receiving equipment (in the highly unlikely event that they gained entry with a warrant).

But if I move house, I can replace the plug on the aerial lead so that the new owners can make use of it.

That solution might work for you in your rental? It doesn't damage the cables in any way and can be reversed if you move.
    Taxation is theft, purely and simply even though it is theft on a grand and colossal scale which no acknowledged criminals could hope to match.

Murray N. Rothbard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport