Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
424 replies 26.9K views

Replies

• atrixaatrixa Forumite
    497 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Council Tax bill finally through. £2 per month more than last year, can live with that. Rebate will come through sometime from April apparently. 

I've been fiddling with my boiler controls. I've reduced the temp of the heating and hot water, so should see a reduction on bills. It's a combi, so I really don't need to be heating it as high to end up mixing with cold water as it's scalding hot. Should have done this ages ago, really.
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    That's a realistic increase and manageable, even without the rebate.

Do you have temperature valves on the rads too? If so, knock them down in some rooms.

Double check the minimum water temperature to avoid legionnaire's.
  • ForestBluebellsForestBluebells Forumite
    507 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That’s not too bad. I haven’t had my letter through yet I hope mine is similar. I’m worried by all the price increases:( 

I didn’t know you could reduce water temperature what have you set it to?
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    497 Posts
    Forumite
    Not sure of the exact temperature- the combi controls don't have temperature indicators on it for whatever reason. The max my boiler goes to is 80C so I'm guessing between 50C and 60C Not concerned about bugs- the water isn't stored anywhere and I'm not drinking from the hot water tap.

Radiator valves are already down where I can get away with it.
    15.4K Posts
    Forumite
    My boiler has a dial from small arrow increasing in thickness towards big arrow for both heating and hot water. 

You should notice an improvement with gas usage.

Don't forget to submit readings by the end of this month.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    497 Posts
    Forumite
    Merry payday one and all (for those who get paid on the 27th each month, anyway)!

I got some backpay so I've moved a whopping £765 to savings already. I've allocated a fair bit to meals out/ days out but in all likelihood I won't use it all, so I'll probably move some to savings toward the end of the month. I don't think I've ever had this much come into my account, it just makes me even more determined to reach all of my savings goals.

Total savings across multiple pots is now: £6908.59.

Plan is still to buy a car in June, but I'll be keeping an eye on petrol costs. I doubt they'll outstrip rail fares.

I've set myself a budget of £135 for food this month, successfully met my budget of £123 for March. I've added some money on to allow for price increases and a huge bag of rice this month.

I have four containers of garlic outside and one container has already started coming up. Some of my indoor horn chillies are enormous now. Will move some of the bolivian rainbows outside eventually for some space.
    15.4K Posts
    Forumite
    That's great savings and good use of the back pay.

Try and buy a big bag / packet of something each month, if you've a Asian / Chinese shops nearby they're great for larger sizes, cheap spices etc. You've done well with the food budget.

It's very exciting when things start popping up. Wait until you catch a whiff of the garlic when outside, cooking with it freshly picked takes food to a whole new level!
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Great savings atrixa 🤗 I don’t get paid until the last working day of every month. Well done on your food budget I think I will need to reduce mine a bit with all the price increases 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale costs= EPC £55 Solicitor insurance £90. Still to pay = solicitor fees & stamp duty
    House purchase costs =
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller. Solicitor Insurance £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022 fell through 12/8/22 due to structural problems / damp on survey. Solicitor insurance £90 Searches £300. Survey £375
    Total cost so far £1300 🙁

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    497 Posts
    Forumite
    Great savings atrixa 🤗 I don’t get paid until the last working day of every month. Well done on your food budget I think I will need to reduce mine a bit with all the price increases 
    I honestly can't get over some of the price hikes lately. They started creeping up slowly after the referendum but in the past few months it's mind-boggling. Makes a yellow sticker find all the more exciting! I found some half price soya cream in a Mr S local this morning and snapped that right up.
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Hello my lovely, well done on bargain hunting and extra savings. I hope you are well. Have a good weekend. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022