Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
412 replies 26.6K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You could leave a small cup of lemon and bicarb in the fridge. Did you do inside the door seals as they can be a hiding place.
    Was it proper or imitation coke? As I put 3L down / around the loo and left it overnight. Anything leftover should just scrub off.

Not long until you move 🤗🤗
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    471 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, scrubbed the door seals and got the gunk out. I might get a lemon to cut in half and pop inside as well. That worked when I was a student. It was Sainsbo's own brand full sugar. It is VERY thick limescale, mind you. 
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    That will help a lot, if you leave both inside the fridge. Cheaper to try that than buying the eggs. If the fridge was switched off and the door left closed, that wouldn't have helped with the smell. You could always leave the fridge off and the door open for a week, to let the air circulate around it.

Try another few bottles over the next few visits or bite the bullet and buy the proper brand and leave 3L of that down, put the lid down too just in case the airflow stopped it from doing the job properly.
  • Ooh, it must be so exciting, your first place, exciting, tiring, fun plans, organising, I remember it well! I had some family helping out on my first home, you could do what we did a 'stripping party' (for the walls! Ha!) so it was all done, messy, fun, picture wet wallpaper ball fight, mass clean-up operation, then there were less of us for the less fun 'How many holes in the wall can you fill?' operation. Still they soldiered on for the knock out the coal shed wall demolition, weird how people like destruction, then it was electrics, decor, kitchen (of sorts, second hand) & bathroom. 

I paid them in beer, tea and fish and chips! :D 
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds like things are coming together atrixa. Hope the lemon works in the fridge & the cola down the loo! 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    House sale/ purchase costs to date 31/5/22
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey £600
    Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    471 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks all! I sorted my tax just now for working from home- thanks again @MovingForwards !
    Another payday, but only my standing order for house stuff has gone into my savings account because it's the dreaded rent AND mortgage month. I will get cashback from the lender to cover the first payment this month, but I don't know when yet. I'll just keep checking my bank account. I'm planning a few late evenings decorating before I get furniture in next week to try and get as much done as possible before moving day!
  • Nearly there! Wanting to bounce up and down in excitement for you....  :)

I too, am constantly staring at the balance, don't know why as it doesn't change hugely apart from a few days income/outgoings!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    I'm pleased you sorted that out, I know it's not much, but will buy something small for your home.
    Good luck with the decorating, you will be moving in and enjoying your home very soon!
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    OMG hooray on housey. Wonderful news.  You have started to change it already to make it yours how wonderful. I've just caught up and am vvvv excited for you. You must be sooooo tired it is hard work. Hooray for new housey and a new life. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    471 Posts
    Forumite
    I've been pricing up beds and mattresses today (I've been sleeping on a single bed that was in my flat when I moved here). I've been looking quite carefully at reviews and it seems like an area where skimping isn't helpful. I'm going to look for a 2nd hand bedframe this weekend and hopefully get a new mattress from a place in town. I've got a backup bed planned to get online if I can't see anything decent this weekend. There's also a clearance place I can go to for a washing machine and another place that refurbishes them that could be good.
    I didn't realise how long some of the lead times can be on the new items! Luckily I don't mind sleeping on the couch for a bit if needed. Or staying over at my bf's house.
    I ordered some lining paper and ready mix paste on Monday and they came today, which was great. One of the paste tubs came with a cracked lid and has leaked a bit, but should still be ok to use. I'll let the company know.
    I've managed so far to cancel my tv and broadband for my moving date (was on hold for most of the afternoon, but finally sorted it) and I've changed my address over with most places now.
    I should have internet at the new house on Friday and the rewire should be complete at the weekend. I had a peek tonight and they've certainly been busy.