Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
412 replies 26.6K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is there a BHF nearby? I picked up some great things for the rental, planned everything so it would work no matter which type or property I purchased. Got a new bed frame / mattress from them, they delivered everything and put it in the right rooms for me. Moved it all to my home and will slowly replace some of it over the next few years. No need to worry about lead times and saves money.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    469 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There is! They sometimes have some great stuff in there, but I haven't been in the position to buy furniture for years. I got most of my stuff cheap and new when I first moved here, but I don't think there were any second hand furniture places in the area at the time. Not in the town centre, anyway. I still regret buying couches new. Such a waste.
  • edited 28 October 2020 at 11:45PM
    MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2020 at 11:45PM
    My bed and mattress cost £307 from them, which I thought wasn't bad for brand new. It would be worth a look before committing to elsewhere; every penny saved frees it up for something else.
  • Wow, so nearly there! Don't forget family, friends or neighbours too. So many of us are having clear-outs, or have over-stuffed lofts/garage/sheds! Never hurts to ask politely.... :) And the chazzers for tiny things to cheer you up, that you choose, for your very own place - it will make it a home for you.... :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Just wanted to add, in the past, I used to visit auction houses, general household ones are best (local ones now do on-line viewing or socially distanced viewing) & you can get actual solid wood antique furniture or newish stuff really cheap (be wary of electrics as not every place tests them). I got 2 well know designer chairs in solid wood once for around £20, & they delivered! Bargain! :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

• edited 30 October 2020 at 7:12PM
    savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    edited 30 October 2020 at 7:12PM
    I was the mug that bought everything new spending tens of thousands, five years later I learned you can buy nearly new much cheaper!!!! It sounds like a real adventure. Well done atrixa. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    469 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone! I got a stepladder from an antique clearance place a few weeks ago (happened to be walking past it and there were some outside) and I think I'll go back for some lamps/chairs/faffy bits once I'm sorted. Was like Aladdin's cave in there.
    I picked up my new wifi and phone kit from the delivery office last night and my paint samples came today. Tomorrow morning I'm going around some second hand furniture/clearance places in the hopes of finding a bed frame, dining table and washing machine. I'm planning to go to a local place to check out mattresses early next week one lunchtime.
    Unfortunately my upper retainer (had adult braces a few years back) now has terrible holes in it, so I'm getting fitted for a new one on Tuesday, so that's about £80. 
    Next week is going to be very busy getting the house sorted, then the 7th is moving day, argh! I have Friday off to pack, thankfully.
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    It's all coming together. Doing the finer details make a house a home. The ladders sound great and I'm interested to 'see' what else you pick up.
    Good luck at the dentist!
  • Ooh, I am living vicariously here, remembering my first place, exciting and fun, choosing your styles and colours, and also kind of discovering 'yourself', your tastes, your likes, finding exciting bits and pieces to make your own little nest, happy days.... :)

• atrixaatrixa Forumite
    469 Posts
    Forumite
    My goodness, money has haemorrhaged out of my bank accounts this weekend. The rewire was completed on Saturday, hurrah! 
    I found a dining table and 4 chairs in BHF, along with a mattress. They didn't have any of the beds I liked in stock, so I went with my backup online plan which was on clearance, so saved over £100.
    I had a look round the clearance place, but taking into account delivery and installation costs, there weren't any washing machines worth getting from there. I went with a new one online in the end. Reasonable spec and free delivery. (All getting delivered next week). I also ended up spending about £70 on tools like a sander, paint and wallpaper tools.
    The carpet all came up in the rewire, so I need to find someone to fit them back down properly next week. Also need to find someone to clear the gutters and clean the windows. Hardly anyone seems to respond to emails, so I'll ring round tomorrow.
    I had some fun testing out some of the paint samples I got. Once they're properly dry I can finalise my picks.
    In the flat, I washed the curtains and hung them back up. I need to give the place a clean then I can head to bed. Knackered!