Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Afternoon HHD :) I see you're in full de-cluttering mode again :T Your house amazes me with all it's storage spaces, it sounds like Dr Who's TARDIS :p I love de-cluttering but sadly seem to have done all mine so I really enjoy reading what you're up to. Wish you had a vlog showing us what you're doing - I'd be glued to it.

Hope you manage to get all the stuff out of your hallway by the end of the afternoon. xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Afternoon HHD :) I see you're in full de-cluttering mode again :T Your house amazes me with all it's storage spaces, it sounds like Dr Who's TARDIS :p I love de-cluttering but sadly seem to have done all mine so I really enjoy reading what you're up to. Wish you had a vlog showing us what you're doing - I'd be glued to it.

Hope you manage to get all the stuff out of your hallway by the end of the afternoon. xx

Thanks TF2 :). I think we're just good at packing a lot into a small space :rotfl:. Apart from the voids, the only built in storage we have are the two cupboards under the main stairs, so you can see why we needed a shed.

Things are progressing well. We've thrown away the instructions from our old oven and found a broken electrical jigsaw that can go to the tip. Other stuff that can go are some mainly empty cardbox boxes, a child's beach spade (how long has that been there?), some bits from our previous hoover, some rusty nails and screws, some sticks (no idea :rotfl:), a mop handle with no mop, etc, etc.

We've nearly finished sorting and putting stuff back in the cupboard and there's a lot more room in there now :T.

One thing I realised today when the cupboard was completely empty is that it's much bigger than I thought. I could walk in there and turn around quite easily, so I'm thinking it could be a good place for something we've always wanted, a downstairs loo :D. I didn't think the cupboard was big enough before, so it just goes to show that it's worth emptying something occasionally. Obviously this would be a future project as it would cost money, but if we ever wanted a lodger one day in the future then a downstairs cloakroom would be very useful.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've cleaned out the furry moron now, so apart from helping DH put the final odds and ends back in the cupboard, I just need to iron my trousers. After that I can relax (apart from shower and cooking etc).

It's been another busy day but I do feel like we're making good progress with improving the house and decreasing clutter :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you've made fantastic progress, and knowing you can fit a downstairs loo in is a bonus. You'll just have to work out where all the stuff currently stored in there will go... maybe it'll be motivation for the next round of decluttering :)

If you look at the KonMarie thread, you'll find that a lot of people do one pass, and then after a while they find that they can have another go and whittle things down further.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Sounds like you've made fantastic progress, and knowing you can fit a downstairs loo in is a bonus. You'll just have to work out where all the stuff currently stored in there will go... maybe it'll be motivation for the next round of decluttering :)

If you look at the KonMarie thread, you'll find that a lot of people do one pass, and then after a while they find that they can have another go and whittle things down further.

Thanks Greenbee :). I'd get rid of a lot more but most of it is DH's stuff :mad:. But maybe he'll get rid of some more stuff if he looks at it again in the future.

If we had some cupboards built under the attic stairs then they could hold the stuff that's in the current cupboard. We also have a big bathroom so I think we could potentially split it into two and have two bathrooms, one with a bath in and one with a shower cubicle in, with a toilet in each.

So lots of potential for improvement :) but no cash to do it at the moment.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2019 at 5:00PM
    Options
    Well it's been a lovely sunny day and part of me wishes we'd spend it at a NT place with a picnic.

But we've made great progress on the de-cluttering :T. DH has found lots of tools he'd lost and we can get to the ironing board and brooms etc a lot more easily. We've rounded up tools and decorating bits from our bedroom, the landing and the office, and now they're either in the shed or the cupboard under the stairs now. So the whole house is looking a bit better and I'm hoping more diy can be done now the tools are accessible and in one place. DH has also put some more hooks in the cupboard for hanging coats, hats, aprons, etc. We couldn't have done any of this without the new shed.

At half term, which is only one week away, I want to do a lot more de-cluttering and can tackle some bigger jobs then, but I'd also like one or two family days out to NT places or similar.

But this evening I need to relax and get my head into work. I'm looking forward to going back to school tomorrow as it will make a change from the de-cluttering :).

Today has been a NSD but surveys seem a bit elusive at the moment.

I'm looking forward to pay day next week :T but I'm not looking forward to DS2 going abroad :(. Anyway hopefully DS3 will come home soon to help fill up the house again.

I hope everyone has had a good Sunday :).
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe DH finding the tools he thought he'd lost will eventually make him realise that by getting rid of the surplus he'll be able to see what he's actually got :)

Sounds like a very productive day. I have mowed and done laundry, and taken a bit of time out to have a cup of tea and chat in the garden with a friend - nice to be sitting in it rather than just working in it, even if we didn't have the sunshine that you had.

Next job is ironing, so I'm having a rest first ;)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Maybe DH finding the tools he thought he'd lost will eventually make him realise that by getting rid of the surplus he'll be able to see what he's actually got :)

Sounds like a very productive day. I have mowed and done laundry, and taken a bit of time out to have a cup of tea and chat in the garden with a friend - nice to be sitting in it rather than just working in it, even if we didn't have the sunshine that you had.

Next job is ironing, so I'm having a rest first ;)

Let's hope so, but he has got rid of more than I expected :).

Tea and chat with a friend in the garden is a lovely way to spend some time :).
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have been busy and de-cluttering enough to realise you can actually convert a cupboard into a loo is brilliant.

I think a nice balance of doing something productive and also a couple of days out during half term is the way to go.

Hubby has changed a radiator in DD's bedroom this afternoon. Normally we'd have paid to have it done but over the past few years seems to be happy to turn his hand to a bit of DIY. Not too much mind :rotfl:

Have a lovely evening. xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    You have been busy and de-cluttering enough to realise you can actually convert a cupboard into a loo is brilliant.

I think a nice balance of doing something productive and also a couple of days out during half term is the way to go.

Hubby has changed a radiator in DD's bedroom this afternoon. Normally we'd have paid to have it done but over the past few years seems to be happy to turn his hand to a bit of DIY. Not too much mind :rotfl:

Have a lovely evening. xx

Thanks TF2 :). Yes it was quite a revelation because I've always thought it was too small.

Well done to hubby for changing DS's radiator :T.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure