Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hopefully the family meal also celebrated your job news. Next stop, TA post. And, get you, only £180 a month. How far have you come?

Thank you INOD :).
    WONDERFUL NEWS :T:T:T:T I'm so pleased for you, HH.

Thank you Elizabeth :).
    Chief2104 wrote: »
    Fab news about the job, so well deserved. Very pleased for you ��

Thank you Chief :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Great news about the job, have a good weekend xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Noella wrote: »
    Really drizzly and gloomy here but if the weather is kinder in your neck of the woods I hope you enjoy your Saturday Saunter:beer:. I hope the meeting with your Stepdad is a pleasant one and doesn't depress your happy mood since you heard about the job. Good luck.

Thanks Noella :). The sky is grey at the moment but hopefully it will brighten up later on.
    jwil wrote: »
    That's brilliant news about the job, congratulations :T :T :T

Thanks Jwil :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Great news about the job, have a good weekend xx

Thanks Penny :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2019 at 8:08AM
    Options
    We went out for a family meal last night with DS1 and DS2 which we enjoyed. £82 was spent including the tip and £3 on parking. So a bit of a spendy evening but it was worth it to spend time with DS2 before he goes abroad :).

I tried to lie in until 8am today. I was tossing and turning for a bit and thought I wonder if it's nearly 8 o'clock yet. When I looked at the time it was only 6.30am! Oh well, I obviously didn't need any more sleep :rotfl:.

Today I'm meeting stepdad for coffee, then I'll see how I feel. I may come straight home and do some more de-cluttering as I'm quite keen to get started on it again. I've got a rucksack full of books to drop off this morning and I want to do a tip run with DH this afternoon. Or I may wander around the charity shops and look at books. The important thing is for me to stay out of clothes shops and homewares shops!

Have a lovely Saturday everyone :).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We went out for a family meal last night with DS1 and DS2 which we enjoyed. £82 was spent including the tip and £3 on parking. So a bit of a spendy evening but it was worth it to spend time with DS2 before he goes abroad :).

It's so lovely to hear that you all had a nice meal out together. That doesn't seem such an outlandish spend either considering there were 4 adults eating. I'm a bit of a newbie to your diary but I read all of it before I started posting. Took me a while too:eek: but it was such a compelling 'read'. Your 'journey' since starting it has been full of drama and difficulties and at last you are into calmer waters with some disposable income:j. I know you don't want or intend to fritter away the 'windfalls' that have been such a lifesaver for you but things like special family times are well worth spending on IMO.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Noella wrote: »
    It's so lovely to hear that you all had a nice meal out together. That doesn't seem such an outlandish spend either considering there were 4 adults eating. I'm a bit of a newbie to your diary but I read all of it before I started posting. Took me a while too:eek: but it was such a compelling 'read'. Your 'journey' since starting it has been full of drama and difficulties and at last you are into calmer waters with some disposable income:j. I know you don't want or intend to fritter away the 'windfalls' that have been such a lifesaver for you but things like special family times are well worth spending on IMO.

Thank you Noella that's a lovely thing to say :). It must have taken you ages to read my diary :eek: and it's true that we've had some ups and downs on our journey.

I agree that family times together are beyond price :).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have good news :j. The person I'm covering for has just resigned and they asked me if I was interested in doing the job permanently, so I said yes of course :beer: :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :beer:.

They're going to sort out the paperwork at some point in the misty future :rotfl: but it's great to know that I won't revert to just being a volunteer in October :D. I'm getting to know all the staff and they're a really nice group of people, plus I love the job, not to mention the money which can feed my savings pots. Think of all the premium bonds I can buy and how big my Christmas pot can grow :rotfl:.

I'm very excited :j :j :j.

Excellent news Hairy, well deserved :beer::j:beer::j xx
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Great news Hairy. Let’s hope some TA jobs come up. I was a TA for a few years and loved it. The children make you laugh everyday. Landlording and family business got in the way though, so had to give it up. Was out with all my 5 and OH, last night too. DD sings and plays piano at various bars and we tend to go along. We usually end up spending more than she gets paid! It was nice to have all her brothers together, they all look like her bouncers :rotfl: Am feeling it a bit today as too much gin was quaffed.

Hope DS2 enjoys his travels. As for DS3 developing an app, my friends son has done some and he gets a nice income from them.
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Great news Hairy. Let’s hope some TA jobs come up. I was a TA for a few years and loved it. The children make you laugh everyday. Landlording and family business got in the way though, so had to give it up. Was out with all my 5 and OH, last night too. DD sings and plays piano at various bars and we tend to go along. We usually end up spending more than she gets paid! It was nice to have all her brothers together, they all look like her bouncers :rotfl: Am feeling it a bit today as too much gin was quaffed.

Hope DS2 enjoys his travels. As for DS3 developing an app, my friends son has done some and he gets a nice income from them.

Thanks Arsenalbarnie :). It sounds like you have some great nights out listening to DD perform :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure