Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow HHD you are doing a marvellous job of de-cluttering. It's quite addictive isn't it, I think because you can actually get massive 'before and after' satisfaction from just an hour or two of going through stuff.

I've kept the outfits DC's came home from hospital in along with a few other baby things and their first pair of shoes. Also some school books, mainly writing ones from KS1 where they tell funny stories and spell words phonetically which makes for interesting reading and are fun to get out every few years to look through. I've also got a folder with certificates and drawings etc. in but that's about it. I know everybody is different but I can't stand things hanging around the house - even the things a lot of people would consider of sentimental value. :o

Glad you all had a nice time at the zoo. You can't put a price on family time can you :) xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Wow HHD you are doing a marvellous job of de-cluttering. It's quite addictive isn't it, I think because you can actually get massive 'before and after' satisfaction from just an hour or two of going through stuff.

I've kept the outfits DC's came home from hospital in along with a few other baby things and their first pair of shoes. Also some school books, mainly writing ones from KS1 where they tell funny stories and spell words phonetically which makes for interesting reading and are fun to get out every few years to look through. I've also got a folder with certificates and drawings etc. in but that's about it. I know everybody is different but I can't stand things hanging around the house - even the things a lot of people would consider of sentimental value. :o

Glad you all had a nice time the zoo. You can't put a price on family time can you :) xx

Thank you TF2 :). I agree with you that it's better just to keep a few selected sentimental items. All the clothes that I put in the charity pile had been in the void for years and not looked at, so there's no point in having them. If I had fewer sentimental items then they'd be easier to store and I could get to them more easily to look at them.

I hate clutter but I live with three hoarders so at times I've got demoralised and given up, but I feel very motivated at the moment and DH seems keen to do some :).

You're right about family time and maybe I need a pot for family days out with the DC :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,386 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    A pot for family days out sounds good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I hate clutter but I live with three hoarders so at times I've got demoralised and given up, but I feel very motivated at the moment and DH seems keen to do some :).

You're right about family time and maybe I need a pot for family days out with the DC :).

That makes it harder then if you live with people who like to hang on to things, but also an even bigger achievement that you're working your way through so much stuff. :T

Pots are definitely the way forward, especially nice ones for days out. :D xx
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow Hairy,massive well done on the decluttering:beer:
    We had mice for a short while,and I worked out it was because there was no lid on my in cupboard rubbish bin,as soon as I got a bin with a lid they stopped coming in,last year inwe got overrun by rats in the garden,they were eating the chicken food so the chickens are now on concrete and their food is in a rodent proof bin,they are probably attracted by the rabbit food/hay so might find if they can't access that they will stop coming after a while
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks OBL :). That reminds me that I need to get the furry moron's food and hay into plastic or metal containers. I forgot about those! Do pet supply shops sell things like that do you know?
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks OBL :). That reminds me that I need to get the furry moron's food and hay into plastic or metal containers. I forgot about those! Do pet supply shops sell things like that do you know?
    I bought a plastic bin for my chicken food from Wilkos,you can also use those Really useful plastic boxes as well, my bin is a black plastic household kitchen bin with a lid that clips shut,it was in the shed for ages and despite the fact that the rats chewed a hole in the shed to get at the food in the chicken run they never got into the bin
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks OBL :). I'll need a fairly large continer to fit the dry rabbit food and hay in. I must prioritise that. Although the mice haven't nibbled holes in the bags as far as I can tell.

They're probably too busy feasting on all the crumbs the DC drop around the place :mad:. We left a loaf of bread out on the counter once and when I came down in the morning the corner of it had been thoroughly chewed :eek:. We normally keep bread in a metal bread bin with a lid or in the fridge if that is full.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,704 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're decluttering is amazing. I am not sure I have that many books in my house, and I teach English and thought I had a lot!!

x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    A pot for family days out sounds good :)
    teafor2 wrote: »
    That makes it harder then if you live with people who like to hang on to things, but also an even bigger achievement that you're working your way through so much stuff. :T

Pots are definitely the way forward, especially nice ones for days out. :D xx

Yes I think a family day out pot would be nice :). I need bigger wages so that I can save in more pots!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure