Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Last night we went to aunt and uncle's house for dinner. My cousin was there too and we had a lovely time :).

Although our shed delivery was so last minute that we were a bit late leaving, we must have been the last delivery slot! But we now have a flat pack shed in our hall :T. We can have fun assembling that at the weekend :rotfl:.

This morning we dropped off another 250 (approximately) books at the same charity shop. Luckily a new volunteer was there or she would have been slightly gobsmacked if it had been the same one as before at the sheer number of books we were donating :rotfl:.

Then we went to Mr T and did our weekly food which came to £86 :eek:. It's too much but we're definitely spending more now DS3 is home, plus DS1 came with us which didn't help.

Since then I've been re-arranging the books I want to keep. We now have five empty large plastic boxes which used to contain books :T.

My next mission is to go through the rest of the clutter in the house, get rid of as much as possible to the charity shop and then put the stuff we want to keep in the plastic boxes in the void. I dread to think how long that will take :eek: but I still have Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, so who know what I can achieve.

I am feeling very pleased with the results of my de-cluttering frenzy. There's a lot more space appeared in our bedroom and a big box full of books has disappeared from the landing :T.

I'm hoping that by the time we've finished de-cluttering, we'll be removing mouse hiding places and making it easier to kill them off with poison, traps, etc.

In other news DS1 killed a mouse in the night :T :T :T. Yesterday there was a mouse that kept running out from beneath the sofa (cheeky so and so) and so before DS1 went to bed he set a mouse trap baited with a piece of bagel and left it in front of the sofa. This morning I found the trap had been sprung and a dead mouse was on the carpet :T. So we have one less mouse in the house :T.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,617 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the ongoing decluttering.
    :eek: to the mouse.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Hairy. I've finally caught up with your diary. I'm sorry to hear about what happened last weekend on what should have been a reverential, reflective day. :(

How brilliant though is all your de-cluttering. :jI do think one can get a bit too reverential about books and cling to them unnecessarily for emotional reasons - if they're turning into a hoard that clutters up your whole living space and a goodly majority consists of paperbacks that you'll never read again, then gift these on to someone who may well take pleasure in them!:) I think you've done the right thing and you appear to be revelling beautifully in all your new found space!:)

Have fun with the shed and have a great Easter!:D
    X
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Beanie :).

I feel completely shattered now and I'm regretting buying all those books in the first place! I've got rid of about two thirds of my book collection now and I'm considering whittling it down even further now as our bedroom still looks cluttered and messy. At the moment I feel like I'd rather have the space than the books.

Our bedroom is full of empty boxes now so it still looks cluttered, but once I fill the boxes and put them in the void then that will clear a lot of floor space.

I've run out of time and energy today anyway. DH and I are meant to be going out tomorrow for the day, but I've done so much today that I'm wishing I could stay at home :o.

I don't know when to stop that's my trouble. It's because I have this vision of a minimal uncluttered space that's easy to clean and makes me feel calm and serene. Despite working like a dog for days and days, our house still looks like a cluttered tip so it's a bit demoralising :(.

I know it took years to acquire the clutter, but I just want it all gone. I wish I could wave a magic wand. I need the clutter fairy to magic away all my clutter :rotfl:.

Anyway I think I'm just tired and need to rest and then I'll feel better.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thank you SSG :). I know I'm doing the right thing by getting rid of all the books. Someone else can enjoy them now. I just wish I hadn't bought them all in the first place :mad:.
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You have done a brilliant job with your books HH , maybe have your day out tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be glorious.

Enjoy your Easter weekend with your family.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Sunshine :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    The weather is looking sunny and beautiful today for our day out :). We're meeting relatives somewhere.

I feel very tired this morning so it's just as well we're going out as it will stop me from de-cluttering :rotfl:. I seem obsessed with it at the moment!

I hope everyone has a lovely bank holiday Friday :).
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Probably as well to have a decluttering break. Decluttering brings up complex feelings so a break in the sunshine is probably just what you need :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    . Despite working like a dog for days and days, our house still looks like a cluttered tip so it's a bit demoralising :(.

I often feel like this too :(
    I just wish I hadn't bought them all in the first place :mad:.

You would have missed out on all those good reads though. Once they are gone, you know that in the future you'll be able to read a book and pass it on, having enjoyed it and knowing that someone else will enjoy it in the future.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure