Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look at some stories over on the Kondo thread in Old Style where people talk about keeping things for years which ‘died in storage’. And about the stress involved in clearing homes after the death of a loved one or when dealing with downsizing when elderly or going into residential care.

It may take several goes to really get your head round what is worth keeping, so think of this as the first pass to get rid of the stuff you definitely don’t want. You can review it again when there is less of it.

My brother and I finally had to sort the remains of our childhood belongings when our parents moved and there was surprisingly little we wanted to keep.

Good luck, and enjoy the space you are making for yourself and your family, both physically and emotionally by getting rid of this clutter.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You're right Greenbee, I may be able to get rid of more things if I have a look another day. I will look at the Kondo thread, I didn't know there was one so thanks for that info :).

It's the children's toys that I mainly feel I'm keeping too many of. I want to keep the Lego, Duplo, Brio, etc, for possible future grandchildren ;). But it's the cheap plastic toys and things like Top Trumps cards, and other bits and bobs that I can't decide whether to get rid of or keep.

Maybe if I just keep some and get rid of the rest, so they can go in a smaller box.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Happy Easter HH
    Hope you are relaxing in-between decluttering :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If it's any help I kept a big bucket of Duplo and my grandchildren have had hours of fun with it. I kept 3 dolls as well all in use. Next I have barbies , they will be out next. All the baby toys I have got rid of except for a few .

You would have been ok in Scotland for your boxes , they have different laws and the shops were open today:T.

The decluttering is amazing , I want to get going again when I get home.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,381 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Get rid of all the cheap plastic stuff.
    Keep a couple packets of Top Trumps :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy Easter HHD. :) Shame about not being able to buy any boxes but at least you carried on with the sorting :T

Would the DC's actually know if you got rid of some of their toys? By that I mean are they likely to say in years to come "do you know where my top trumps cards are"?

We had to sort hubby's parent's house out and it was a nightmare. In fact at times I felt really angry we were having to spend so much time there going through things when his Dad could have done a lot of it himself over the years. We tried to get him to do something but he just said, I'm leaving it all for you to sort out. So we did. Hubby ordered the biggest skip he could and after giving all the big stuff away, threw the rest away. He whittled a house packed to the hilt with stuff down to one shoe box of things that he wanted to keep - he's not a hoarder either ;)

Just to add like everybody else has said I think you're doing a great job and also, thank you for the positive comment about the scarf :) xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Happy Easter HH
    Hope you are relaxing in-between decluttering :)

Thanks DIA :). I haven't done much relaxing if I'm honest :o. But I will feel good when I've finished de-cluttering the big void (I'm going to do the smaller voids another holiday).
    If it's any help I kept a big bucket of Duplo and my grandchildren have had hours of fun with it. I kept 3 dolls as well all in use. Next I have barbies , they will be out next. All the baby toys I have got rid of except for a few .

You would have been ok in Scotland for your boxes , they have different laws and the shops were open today:T.

The decluttering is amazing , I want to get going again when I get home.

Most of it is total junk really but precious to children at the time.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Get rid of all the cheap plastic stuff.
    Keep a couple packets of Top Trumps :)
    It's such an assortment of stuff. I will keep the Top Trumps. I have put some balls, plastic water pistols and flimsy plastic swords in the charity bag.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,354 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on the decluttering. I keep nagging Mr SA about the shed, it's full of junk. A neighbour's hubby recently had a health scare and when things weren't looking too good she told him to make sure he cleared out the garage before he pegged out. He was fine by the way so the battle continues.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Happy Easter HHD. :) Shame about not being able to buy any boxes but at least you carried on with the sorting :T

Would the DC's actually know if you got rid of some of their toys? By that I mean are they likely to say in years to come "do you know where my top trumps cards are"?

We had to sort hubby's parent's house out and it was a nightmare. In fact at times I felt really angry we were having to spend so much time there going through things when his Dad could have done a lot of it himself over the years. We tried to get him to do something but he just said, I'm leaving it all for you to sort out. So we did. Hubby ordered the biggest skip he could and after giving all the big stuff away, threw the rest away. He whittled a house packed to the hilt with stuff down to one shoe box of things that he wanted to keep - he's not a hoarder either ;)

Just to add like everybody else has said I think you're doing a great job and also, thank you for the positive comment about the scarf :) xx

You're welcome about the scarf :). They probably would't remember what they had, but if they saw it it might bring back happy memories of their childhood, so I'm undecided :o. I think if I'll just reduce it down a bit for now.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Well done on the decluttering. I keep nagging Mr SA about the shed, it's full of junk. A neighbour's hubby recently had a health scare and when things weren't looking too good she told him to make sure he cleared out the garage before he pegged out. He was fine by the way so the battle continues.

Thanks SA :). It's hard work but I will feel better when it's done. I'll go back to work for a rest next week :rotfl:.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure