Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hurrah for the £200 from your DS & glad that you enjoyed pilates.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,312 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great news about the £200 from DS. Pilates is fab for building up core strength, I've really noticed the difference since I've been doing it. I would think that you may be missing your mum more as it's the run up to Christmas. The first one without them is really hard but you'll get through it xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hurrah for the £200 from your DS & glad that you enjoyed pilates.

Thanks Beanie.
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Great news about the £200 from DS. Pilates is fab for building up core strength, I've really noticed the difference since I've been doing it. I would think that you may be missing your mum more as it's the run up to Christmas. The first one without them is really hard but you'll get through it xx

Thanks SA. Maybe you're right about my mum. Christmas can be an emotional time and I'm dreading going into a new year without her :(.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,312 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I lost my mum at the end of August 2000, she had a NYE party to welcome in 2000, little did she know, good job really. I know I keep saying it but once you get all the firsts over it will get easier. I still think about my mum every day 18 years down the line but it doesn't hurt so much - it's just good memories. I will admit when I first lost her when I saw other women out with their mums I thought why is it you've still got your mum, it's not fair - I was so angry. I realise now this is part of the normal grief process. My heart goes out to you as it's still so raw and certainly not helped by the money situation. One day at a time xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thank you SA you really do understand.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Yay, well done to DS for paying you the £200,sorry to hear you are feeling sad,it's definitely hard for the first year,my colleague came back to work today after losing her husdand unexpectedly 5 months ago and she got a bit upset at some points of the morning,I felt so sorry for her :(
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 20 November 2018 at 9:13AM
    Options
    Thanks Lucky :)

Thanks Elizabeth :). This is very late in the year to be picking fruit :T.

We're quite a long way north but some of our apple trees still have lots of apples on. Amazing given the howling gales we seem to have a lot of this year. There are even some clusters of beautiful red berries still on some of the rowan tress although I'm ashamed to say I've never picked or used them myself and the trees have been happily growing away since we planted them as not much more than twigs in about 1980:eek:. They self-seed like mad, thanks to the blackbirds who go crazy eating the berries. We didn't plant them for the fruit for ourselves, I've no idea what to use it for anyway:o. Lovely to see the birds enjoying them:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm sure we can all understand why you are feeling even more sad at the moment, HH. As lots of others have said, just try to take it one day at a time, hard though that is.

You are so blessed to have a lovely and supportive family and good friends who really understand you. You enjoy the simple pleasures in life and that's a good thing because most days will throw up some opportunity or other for you to be thankful. Even the part of the world that you live in is a bonus especially at this time of year when the weather might mean you can get outdoors more and experience nature.

Don't dread New Year, HH. I know it won't be easy for you but my Mum died on New Years Eve in 2004 and I've now been able to see New Year as the most exciting time of year like I always did before. It doesn't mean I don't shed many tears nowadays as the old year ends. I always preferred New Year to Christmas anyway, not for festivities or partying (which we never do:() but just for the clean slate and exciting and promising things that may lie ahead. Starting a brand new diary (the paper kind not online) and calendar every year is something I :j:j:j about. The trick is to look forward not back. You'll always remember your Mum, she will be in your heart and thoughts forever, but in time you'll be doing things and activities for the first time that you'd never shared with her and the sadness will become less. Yes, you'll think 'I wish I could tell Mum about this' or 'I wish Mum was here to share this with me' but those times will get less as time goes by. It isn't being disloyal to her or her memory, it's just how it seems to happen.

Thinking of you as always:kisses3:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2018 at 9:55AM
    Options
    Yay, well done to DS for paying you the £200,sorry to hear you are feeling sad,it's definitely hard for the first year,my colleague came back to work today after losing her husdand unexpectedly 5 months ago and she got a bit upset at some points of the morning,I felt so sorry for her :(

Thanks OBL. It must be very difficult for your colleague.
    I'm sure we can all understand why you are feeling even more sad at the moment, HH. As lots of others have said, just try to take it one day at a time, hard though that is.

You are so blessed to have a lovely and supportive family and good friends who really understand you. You enjoy the simple pleasures in life and that's a good thing because most days will throw up some opportunity or other for you to be thankful. Even the part of the world that you live in is a bonus especially at this time of year when the weather might mean you can get outdoors more and experience nature.

Don't dread New Year, HH. I know it won't be easy for you but my Mum died on New Years Eve in 2004 and I've now been able to see New Year as the most exciting time of year like I always did before. It doesn't mean I don't shed many tears nowadays as the old year ends. I always preferred New Year to Christmas anyway, not for festivities or partying (which we never do:() but just for the clean slate and exciting and promising things that may lie ahead. Starting a brand new diary (the paper kind not online) and calendar every year is something I :j:j:j about. The trick is to look forward not back. You'll always remember your Mum, she will be in your heart and thoughts forever, but in time you'll be doing things and activities for the first time that you'd never shared with her and the sadness will become less. Yes, you'll think 'I wish I could tell Mum about this' or 'I wish Mum was here to share this with me' but those times will get less as time goes by. It isn't being disloyal to her or her memory, it's just how it seems to happen.

Thinking of you as always:kisses3:

Thank you for your kind words Carboot.

I don't know what I'd do without the kind people on here.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    We're quite a long way north but some of our apple trees still have lots of apples on. Amazing given the howling gales we seem to have a lot of this year. There are even some clusters of beautiful red berries still on some of the rowan tress although I'm ashamed to say I've never picked or used them myself and the trees have been happily growing away since we planted them as not much more than twigs in about 1980:eek:. They self-seed like mad, thanks to the blackbirds who go crazy eating the berries. We didn't plant them for the fruit for ourselves, I've no idea what to use it for anyway:o. Lovely to see the birds enjoying them:j

Your Rowan trees sound lovely, my mum liked those. Can you make jam or jelly with the berries? I'm not an expert on these things but I'm sure I've heard of Rowàn jelly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure