Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    The free day out sounds fab :)

Can't believe it's 4 months since you lost your mum. The first year is the worst - you never ever stop missing them but it does get easier with time xx

The weather here has been beautiful too.

I hope it gets easier SA. I expect you're right, it's just hard to imagine at the moment.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Thinking of all you lovely people who have lost people way way too soon.

I was saying on my own thread how sad I am that my dad will miss his DGS's graduation.
    It is as it is.

Yes I'm sure your dad would have been very proud Beanie.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Hope you get paid next week.

I like mooching around the Christmas fairs. Hope you enjoyed it x
    Glad you had a lovely day out today. I'd love to visit NT places regularly but as I don't drive it's very awkward to get to them. I'd like to do a coach trip holiday visiting some of our stately homes. Ah well - another wish for the bucket list.....:)

Hope a payment wings your way next week.

Thanks both :). We did enjoy looking around the Fair but I'm pleased we didn't buy anything. We were amazed at how much money other people were spending :eek:.

If DH didn't drive we wouldn't be able to get to NT places either. A coach trip would be a good way for you to visit them SSG.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Thinking of all you lovely people who have lost people way way too soon.

I was saying on my own thread how sad I am that my dad will miss his DGS's graduation.
    It is as it is.

And also even if not way too soon. I was lucky enough to have my parents well into their nineties, and I still, years later, occasionally think they will make their Sunday telephone call, or think, ''I'll tell them......'.
    For such a universal experience, bereavement is astoundingly difficult to deal with.
    I believe that when you can see/listen to their favourite things with tender recollection rather than pain, you have begun to cope with a life without them.

I add my own thoughts to those who have lost and somehow managed to carry on. I salute you all xx
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I love Christmas fairs,there was was on here on Saturday but I missed it because I forgot it was on,I hope someone pays you soon :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    And also even if not way too soon. I was lucky enough to have my parents well into their nineties, and I still, years later, occasionally think they will make their Sunday telephone call, or think, ''I'll tell them......'.
    For such a universal experience, bereavement is astoundingly difficult to deal with.
    I believe that when you can see/listen to their favourite things with tender recollection rather than pain, you have begun to cope with a life without them.

I add my own thoughts to those who have lost and somehow managed to carry on. I salute you all xx

You're right that bereavement is very hard to deal with even though everyone experiences it at some point in their lives. People don't really talk about it much though do they? People seem to suffer in silence.

I hope I get to that stage soon Elizabeth.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I love Christmas fairs,there was was on here on Saturday but I missed it because I forgot it was on,I hope someone pays you soon :)

Thanks OBL :).
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Glad you had a nice day at the fair. Hopefully you will get your clothes horse soon.

Have a good day Hairy. I know things are so tough for you x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Just arrived home from dropping OH off at my friend's house. He was going to drive there himself and leave his car in her driveway overnight but the car is still only a year old, her house will be unoccupied, she doesn't have a garage and the houses next door on both sides are for sale and empty. He loves that car more than anything. He's normally so frugal and tightfisted that it gave him many a sleepless night between ordering it and actually taking delivery. I thought he'd had a brainstorm when he first told me he might be buying a brand new car, his other one was perfectly OK, years younger than mine:o, and he isn't an 'image' type of person at all:rotfl:. He doesn't feel relaxed about having so much money tied up in something though, much as he loves driving it. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry especially as there have been several burglaries in my friend's road recently.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Glad you had a nice day at the fair. Hopefully you will get your clothes horse soon.

Have a good day Hairy. I know things are so tough for you x

Thanks Nicnak :).
    Just arrived home from dropping OH off at my friend's house. He was going to drive there himself and leave his car in her driveway overnight but the car is still only a year old, her house will be unoccupied, she doesn't have a garage and the houses next door on both sides are for sale and empty. He loves that car more than anything. He's normally so frugal and tightfisted that it gave him many a sleepless night between ordering it and actually taking delivery. I thought he'd had a brainstorm when he first told me he might be buying a brand new car, his other one was perfectly OK, years younger than mine:o, and he isn't an 'image' type of person at all:rotfl:. He doesn't feel relaxed about having so much money tied up in something though, much as he loves driving it. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry especially as there have been several burglaries in my friend's road recently.

Enjoy your quiet time Carboot, put the heating on quick :rotfl:.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 November 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options
    I met stepdad and went for a walk by the sea this morning. I suggested it as I didn't see him yesterday and I knew he'd be home alone today otherwise. I do worry about him. It was a nice walk, if a little cold (freezing) and we took travel cups with coffee in to drink looking out to sea.

Since then I've found a box of DH's meds (he said he'd run out :mad: ), emptied the kitchen bins, and booked DS1 a flu jab.

Tonight I've got Pilates. I paid £7 worth of 5p, 2p, and 1p coins into my bank this morning and drew the money out again to pay for Pilates :money:. I missed it last week because of my cold and I don't want to miss it again or I'll lose the flexibility I'm slowly acquiring, plus it's nice to see my friend.

I find regular commitments like volunteering and Pilates a life saver for my mental health, as it gives me something to look forward to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure