Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting heartily sick of the emails which are bombarding me constantly with all the wonderful Black Friday and other offers. Every company I've ever had dealings with seems to be trying to sell me something I don't need, don't even want and definitely couldn't afford even at their knock-down prices:mad:. I've stopped reading them now and just delete. I'll risk missing out on the bargain of the century:rotfl:

HH, I had one from Lakeland today with a special offer on a heated clothes horse/airer. Still massively expensive and some of the others that they sell are even more so:eek:. I doubt either of us will be buying one of them;)

I just delete them too, even if I had money I wouldn't waste it on all that rubbish, I'd pay bills with it.

How is your Full & Final offer coming along Catboot? Have you had the written confirmation yet? How about your other debts?
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'm getting so desperate for money that I've applied for a couple of Christmas jobs. One application came back with one night shift and two day shifts available in supermarkets that are in towns where I don't live and can't get to :mad:.

I'll have to wait and see about the other one. I rang our local bookshop but they've already recruited their Christmas staff. It looks like I've left it too late :(.

I've sorted out a load of paper statements for the accountants. I needed to print some online statements next, but when I turned my PC on it emitted a high pitched whine and wouldn't turn on :(. I think it's broken so now we're in trouble.

DH has a year old PC that we bought with some of the pension money, but mine is over five years old. We knew it was on it's last legs but were hoping it would limp on for a bit longer. So now I can't work help DH with work for our business even if I felt able to. DH will have to spend a day printing off stuff for the accountants instead of working. I don't know when he'll fit that in.

Just when you think things can't get any worse they do :(.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sorry my diary has turned into a moan and whinge fest :(.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry my diary has turned into a moan and whinge fest :(.

You're not moaning at all, HH. Some days are like that, everything seems to go wrong at once.

Does either of your sons who live at home have a computer and printer that you could use temporarily until you get your technology repaired or replaced?

I don't have a smartphone or tablet, just the laptop, but if it ever went seriously wrong and I was without it I'd be bereft. My last one finally died about 18 months ago and there were panic stations all round:eek:. The cost of repair would definitely have been more than the machine was worth, especially as it was 2nd hand when I bought it and probably about 5 years old by then. I used it constantly for about 5 years too. The repair shop wanted £65 just to examine it and find what was wrong, that wasn't including repairing/replacing anything and the cost of the parts:eek:. Needless to say I didn't bother, I went straight round the corner to Argos and bought the only one I could afford at the time. Cheap and cheerful, not very powerful but it's done the trick. There should be plenty of life left in it yet, that's why I can happily ignore all the Black Friday computer offers I keep getting:j.

When I'm debt free a new laptop will probably be the first thing I buy, once I've saved up for it of course.

I hope you get sorted very soon:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'll have to wait and see about the other one. I rang our local bookshop but they've already recruited their Christmas staff. It looks like I've left it too late :(.

I hope you're lucky with your remaining application and hear something very soon:beer:

What a shame about the bookshop. Working in a bookshop would be my dream job. I think I'd get so engrossed in the books that I'd be annoyed when customers came in and needed attention:rotfl:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Carboot. DS1 and DS2 have a laptop each, but DS2 uses his continually for his business and DS1 would never give his up as he lives on it.

At least I have my tablet (which my mum bought me a year ago as a surprise present) so I can still post on here and do surveys.

But I can't work properly on a tablet for our main business. I haven't been helping DH anyway since my mum died, but I can't print off all the stuff we need for the accountants from my tablet :(. It just emphasises to me even more that I HAVE to get a job.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I hope you're lucky with your remaining application and hear something very soon:beer:

What a shame about the bookshop. Working in a bookshop would be my dream job. I think I'd get so engrossed in the books that I'd be annoyed when customers came in and needed attention:rotfl:

Thanks Carboot, yes I would probably have been well suited for working in a bookshop.

There's the two jobs I applied for on Thursday, but even if I get them I wouldn't be able to start until January.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Carboot, yes I would probably have been well suited for working in a bookshop.

There's the two jobs I applied for on Thursday, but even if I get them I wouldn't be able to start until January.

DS's financial contribution will help you through a rough patch. It must be a real relief that you have that to help tide you over:beer:.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Yes at least we can buy food tomorrow and we'll keep the rest towards other urgent bills, so I'm very thankful to have that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 20 November 2018 at 7:04PM
    Options
    I just delete them too, even if I had money I wouldn't waste it on all that rubbish, I'd pay bills with it.

How is your Full & Final offer coming along Catboot? Have you had the written confirmation yet? How about your other debts?
    Sorry I missed answering this, HH, I got sidetracked by your post about the computer. I didn't mean to ignore your question:o

I'm not spending anything at the moment that isn't absolutely essential either. Every penny I have that's surplus to immediate requirements (and there's precious little of it:() is going straight into my F&F pot.

Yes. I've had the written confirmation which said I have 30 days from 5th November (which is when the offer was verbally accepted on the phone) to pay or the acceptance will be withdrawn. I'll probably do it tomorrow. I plan to do it over the phone by debit card but first need to phone my bank just to be on the safe side. If I suddenly make a big payment of almost £2000 from my current account my bank might think something fishy is going on, seeing as my usual spends are so small. I wouldn't want them to refuse or put a pause on the payment going through straight away. I just have a basic bank account since I started the DMP and I don't think they expect people with them will make such big payments

A couple of my others wanted updated I&E details before they would even consider an offer so these have been sent. Took ages to do, my figures just wouldn't add up. I got different totals every time I tried:eek:. I'd already sent letters with offers but in reply they just asked for I&Es. I assume I need to submit my offers again once they've had the chance to study my figures but maybe they'll consider the ones I already made. Nothing's changed, I don't suddenly have any extra money from anywhere to increase them with. I'll phone them on Friday anyway to see what the next step is. I'm itching to get everything sorted by the end of the year but if it isn't I won't fret about it too much. If I'd got off my rear and started the F&F ball rolling sooner I might have had it all cleared up by Christmas. Typical procrastination behaviour from me:o. When will I ever learn?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback