Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,330 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Could you ask DS2 to lend you the money to buy a new PC?
    Do you have a local FB buying/selling page that you could look on?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 20 November 2018 at 7:21PM
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

That's a good idea, beanilou:T

There's always good old Freecycle/Freegle of course:j. It's surprising what people offer and ask for on there. I've had a couple of good printers from there over the years when I was absolutely penniless. People were just upgrading to the next 'big thing', the items I got were fantastic and absolutely free for collection. One donor was a fair way away and the house very rural and hard to find so I probably used several pounds worth of petrol before I had the printer safely on my desk:eek:. Well worth it though as it was a really good multi- function scanner/copier/printer and even came with some unused spare ink cartridges. There was someone on my local Freecycle group today asking for both a large size flat screen TV and a laptop. He'll probably get them too.
  • 117pauline
    Options
    Hi Hairy

Sending hugs and love to you. 2018 has really been a dreadful year for you.

It seems very odd the way we avoid grief and yet it is one of the few life events that is papered over. We discuss really personal subjects such as sex yet do not discuss the really important things in life.

Last time I was back in the UK, I had a very emotive and meaningful conversation with my mum which meant a huge amount to me and hopefully to her too. I even raised the subject of care in the future and now know she would like a DNR note on her files. How can we never have discussed this in my nearly sixty years?

Grief has no time frame either, it overwhelms when you think you are getting used to your new normal. It feels different at different times as well, if you understand my meaning.

We all are with you on this journey.

Take care honey, thinking of you
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

I wouldn't like to ask DS2 Beanie but Freecycle might be a possibility.
    That's a good idea, beanilou:T

There's always good old Freecycle/Freegle of course:j. It's surprising what people offer and ask for on there. I've had a couple of good printers from there over the years when I was absolutely penniless. People were just upgrading to the next 'big thing', the items I got were fantastic and absolutely free for collection. One donor was a fair way away and the house very rural and hard to find so I probably used several pounds worth of petrol before I had the printer safely on my desk:eek:. Well worth it though as it was a really good multi- function scanner/copier/printer and even came with some unused spare ink cartridges. There was someone on my local Freecycle group today asking for both a large size flat screen TV and a laptop. He'll probably get them too.

That sounds like a bargain Carboot.

In a way it's not the disaster it would have been four months ago as I no longer want to help DH with his business. I'm determined I have to get a job. It would have been useful to be able to print stuff off for the accountants, but DH will have to do that from his.

It's not ideal but I'm more worried about paying the bills at the moment :o.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    117pauline wrote: »
    Hi Hairy

Sending hugs and love to you. 2018 has really been a dreadful year for you.

It seems very odd the way we avoid grief and yet it is one of the few life events that is papered over. We discuss really personal subjects such as sex yet do not discuss the really important things in life.

Last time I was back in the UK, I had a very emotive and meaningful conversation with my mum which meant a huge amount to me and hopefully to her too. I even raised the subject of care in the future and now know she would like a DNR note on her files. How can we never have discussed this in my nearly sixty years?

Grief has no time frame either, it overwhelms when you think you are getting used to your new normal. It feels different at different times as well, if you understand my meaning.

We all are with you on this journey.

Take care honey, thinking of you
    Pauline

Thank you Pauline. I wish grief was talked about more because it might make it easier to deal with.

That was a very important conversation to have with your mum and you must be pleased that you had it.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HH I am sorry your laptop is not working properly . Are either of your DS savvy with computer mending or is it beyond repair.

Does your stepdad have a laptop you could borrow in the interim or another family member close by. I am sorry to hear the job didn't come off and hope your other application is more successful . Has your local council have any welfare/dinner lady jobs advertised?

Grief I think is hardest for the first year , the first everything birthday, Christmas etc. You have to keep going forward though , people feel guilty for moving forward thinking that they should be sad forever . I think you have to remember your mum for all the memories she brings to you and the comfort that brings. (Hope that doesn't sound harsh ) .

You don't moan much at all considering what this year has thrown at you . As Beanie would say keep plodding !
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thank you Cumbria. I don't think anyone would be able to lend us a laptop or computer because they all use them a lot. I'm pretty sure it's beyond repair as it won't even turn on and the high pitched whine it gives is something I've never heard before. It's been on it's last legs for a year.

It's not the disaster it would have been four months ago, as it gives me yet another reason and even more motivation to get a job. I still have three possible jobs in the pipeline, so fingers crossed.

This year does seem to be going from bad to worse, so I think I'll be glad to see the back of it. Although I find myself slightly dreading what 2019 will bring :(.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Oh Hairy, I am so sorry another thing has been thrown at you. I hope you are ok? Freecycle is the one place I might look, but our local tip has a community area that also has laptops/computers that people don't need and drop off for other people to just take. I'm not sure if yours has anything similar?

I hope the jobs come through for you as well. Just something to help.

Is there anywhere that you can advertise what hubby does in here so anyone interested could sign up? I'm just trying to think of everything. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2018 at 10:18PM
    Options
    Thanks Nicnak. I'm not sure our tip has that option, but I'll definitely look on Freecycle.

I feel pretty miserable tonight, but hopefully a nights sleep will help. Stepdad has been having a bad day too missing my mum, so I don't want to bother him with my problems.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I do hope you get a good nights sleep Hairy. It's one thing after another isn't it. :(

Re DS1 laptop - I know youngsters view being parted with tech akin to be asked to cut off their arm, but if you explained the situation to him and stressed how helpful it would be to the family's business to use his laptop for some time during the day, do you think he would be amenable?

Fingers crossed for the jobs.
    X
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income