We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks SA. That's a good price too. I'm not sure if we've got one around here.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • SuperMoose
    Options
    Apologies for just dropping in but if you have a local Poundstretcher they have allergy pills at 79p for 30. It seems a bit random if they are in stock but it's the cheapest I've seen in a non online shop :)
    Just remembered - Home Bargains have them at 89p for 30.
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hi SuperMoose I'm glad you dropped by :). Those are very good prices too.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Regarding speaking to the hospital that looked after your mum they usually have a liaison service for people to raise concerns with,it should be possible for you to speak to them without involving your stepdad if you don't want to
    Take care Hairy and enjoy your coffee with your family tomorrow xx
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks OBL.
  • elizabethhull
    Options

This weekend is the wedding I can't afford to go to and that my mum was so looking forward to :(. I've found out my aunt and uncle weren't invited,

My aunt and uncle suggested meeting me for coffee tomorrow which I'm looking forward to :), although it means spending more money :(. But I feel more cheerful when I see people.

Sounds like a great idea, and whilst you're chatting about the wedding none of you are attending, you can be pleased you're only spending on a cup of coffee and not the GDP of Belgium !!
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Enjoy meeting your family today. I know what you mean about spending, but agree that it's a much cheaper alternative than the wedding! x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't come on for one day and find your diary has moved so fast . HH with regards to mum , I think your friend perhaps didn't realise that her words would make you feel guilty . As you say you trust doctors , but my mum is an ex nurse and sometimes when we have been in A@E with my dad or herself she is embarrassing because she questions the doctors all the time ! However I have learnt from her that if you have an instinct that doesn't feel right then you are right to question it. Please don't feel guilty about your mum , you did what you thought best . Hindsight is a wonderful thing but sometimes it's an enemy as well. Everyone can tell that you had a wonderful loving relationship with your mum and no one can take that away from you , so stop beating yourself up about it and enjoy your memories.

As for money , I do hope you meet up your relatives tomorrow , you can all at least see each other .

This is the time of year where money is being spent and you hear and see people splashing out etc., you just have to ride the storm and stick to your guns and budget.

Same here about utilities, my energy supplier wants to put my DD up by £13 a month but has just sent me £45 back. ( don't tell anyone ) he he.

Having counselling is a good idea , we have a listening ear service at work, a lovely lady who you go to speak to about whatever is troubling you , I found that helped me a lot when I got stressed out at work.

On fruit , I eat at least 3 pieces a day because I enjoy it , plus other stuff that isn't good for me.

Have a good day as you can.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea, and whilst you're chatting about the wedding none of you are attending, you can be pleased you're only spending on a cup of coffee and not the GDP of Belgium !!
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Enjoy meeting your family today. I know what you mean about spending, but agree that it's a much cheaper alternative than the wedding! x

Thanks Elizabeth and Cumbria. The cup of coffee will certainly be cheaper than the wedding. It's one of those weddings where the bride and groom hire a manor house in the middle of nowhere, so it's about 450 miles away and the only hotels nearby are boutique one costing £135 per night :eek:. It's just as well we can't go.

Even if we had the money it would be more sensible to put it in an emergency fund.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I don't come on for one day and find your diary has moved so fast . HH with regards to mum , I think your friend perhaps didn't realise that her words would make you feel guilty . As you say you trust doctors , but my mum is an ex nurse and sometimes when we have been in A@E with my dad or herself she is embarrassing because she questions the doctors all the time ! However I have learnt from her that if you have an instinct that doesn't feel right then you are right to question it. Please don't feel guilty about your mum , you did what you thought best . Hindsight is a wonderful thing but sometimes it's an enemy as well. Everyone can tell that you had a wonderful loving relationship with your mum and no one can take that away from you , so stop beating yourself up about it and enjoy your memories.

As for money , I do hope you meet up your relatives tomorrow , you can all at least see each other .

This is the time of year where money is being spent and you hear and see people splashing out etc., you just have to ride the storm and stick to your guns and budget.

Same here about utilities, my energy supplier wants to put my DD up by £13 a month but has just sent me £45 back. ( don't tell anyone ) he he.

Having counselling is a good idea , we have a listening ear service at work, a lovely lady who you go to speak to about whatever is troubling you , I found that helped me a lot when I got stressed out at work.

On fruit , I eat at least 3 pieces a day because I enjoy it , plus other stuff that isn't good for me.

Have a good day as you can.

Thanks Cumbria. We very much trusted the doctors and felt frightened and confused at the hospital. Especially with such a high turnover of busy staff, it was hard to get any information out of anyone. I'm going to put it out of my mind because it's only going to torture me otherwise.

I will feel better when the wedding is over as it's stirring up tricky emotions, but at least I'm not the only one not going. Stepdad can't face it, aunt and uncle weren't invited. My half brother was invited to the whole thing but my step brother and sister (his half siblings who he grew up with) are not invited at all :eek:. It's also a child free wedding even though the bride and groom have a baby!

I'm going to ring NPow3r today and complain. Why would we use that much more than last year? DS3 has moved out and DS2 is going abroad again soon, so we'll be using less energy if anything :mad:.

Yes I think counselling may help so I should also ring the doctor today. I was feeling too miserable yesterday to do anything very proactive, but I slept much better last night.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport