Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Awhh - I'm so sorry you're feeling down about the wedding Hairy. :(. I do hope you get out in the sunshine today and it cheers you up.

But the boys are really enjoying themselves aren't they? That's so good to hear.

Re washing powder. I went back to it a few years ago when I was watching an episode of 'How Clean is Your House' and Aggie said she always used it - does a good cleaning job, cheaper and better for your washing machine. I sometimes buy the washing powder tablets if they are on offer but stay away from the liquids. But I really should start the use the quick clean programme on the machine....:o

Have a good day Hairy.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry about the wedding too.

I know is too late for this time and I also know you still living frugally but could you manage a small savings pot so you don't miss these kind of things in future? They only happen once (hopefully) and it is such a shame to miss out.

I had years of missing such things so I know how you feel :)

Wishing you a relaxing Sunday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to read you are upset by the wedding , as DIA says maybe start a small pot for such things . Hope you enjoy the NT outing and that you all have your membership cards.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had to miss your niece's wedding - good idea from DIA about the pot, easier said than done when money is tight though. I've also had years of missing out on weddings and birthday bashes just because Mr SA won't go (even before his illness) he hates parties - I like them but it's always been me who conceded.

Glad the boys are enjoying Iceland. Don't worry about them they're probably just white water rafting or bungee jumping off mountains :rotfl:

Have a good week HH :)
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Awhh - I'm so sorry you're feeling down about the wedding Hairy. :(. I do hope you get out in the sunshine today and it cheers you up.

But the boys are really enjoying themselves aren't they? That's so good to hear.

Re washing powder. I went back to it a few years ago when I was watching an episode of 'How Clean is Your House' and Aggie said she always used it - does a good cleaning job, cheaper and better for your washing machine. I sometimes buy the washing powder tablets if they are on offer but stay away from the liquids. But I really should start the use the quick clean programme on the machine....:o

Have a good day Hairy.
    Sorry about the wedding too.

I know is too late for this time and I also know you still living frugally but could you manage a small savings pot so you don't miss these kind of things in future? They only happen once (hopefully) and it is such a shame to miss out.

I had years of missing such things so I know how you feel :)

Wishing you a relaxing Sunday :)
    Sorry to read you are upset by the wedding , as DIA says maybe start a small pot for such things . Hope you enjoy the NT outing and that you all have your membership cards.

Thank you all :). A savings pot would be sensible, but we have DH's and DS1's birthdays this month plus my dad's, and in the autumn DS3 should be going to uni, so we have lots of things we need to save for.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you had to miss your niece's wedding - good idea from DIA about the pot, easier said than done when money is tight though. I've also had years of missing out on weddings and birthday bashes just because Mr SA won't go (even before his illness) he hates parties - I like them but it's always been me who conceded.

Glad the boys are enjoying Iceland. Don't worry about them they're probably just white water rafting or bungee jumping off mountains :rotfl:

Have a good week HH :)

Thanks SA :). Could you go to weddings etc on your own if Mr SA refuses to go? I'm not a party animal in general but I love family parties.

I hope DS2 and DS3 aren't doing extreme sports :eek::eek::eek:. I don't think DS3 would have enough money :rotfl:.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you all :). A savings pot would be sensible, but we have DH's and DS1's birthdays this month plus my dad's, and in the autumn DS3 should be going to uni, so we have lots of things we need to save for.

Sounds like an expensive time ahead:eek:. Maybe when the last of these is over, eh? But then there's Christmas on the horizon. There's no end to it is there?

I used to have pet insurance for my cat because vet bills are horrendous. Unfortunately there are so many exclusions in the policy, plus a big excess charge that I decided to cancel and save the £14 monthly cost in a 'vet bills' pot. Needless to say that extra money was such a godsend that it was swallowed up on my grocery and essentials:o. When I eventually did need to pay a vet bill I was scrabbling around for the money, although I managed to get enough together. I suspect things like 'weddings' etc pots might suffer the same fate if people haven't an immediate date in view and something more pressing comes up.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sounds like an expensive time ahead:eek:. Maybe when the last of these is over, eh? But then there's Christmas on the horizon. There's no end to it is there?

I used to have pet insurance for my cat because vet bills are horrendous. Unfortunately there are so many exclusions in the policy, plus a big excess charge that I decided to cancel and save the £14 monthly cost in a 'vet bills' pot. Needless to say that extra money was such a godsend that it was swallowed up on my grocery and essentials:o. When I eventually did need to pay a vet bill I was scrabbling around for the money, although I managed to get enough together. I suspect things like 'weddings' etc pots might suffer the same fate if people haven't an immediate date in view and something more pressing comes up.

You're right Carboot. I need so many pots that's the trouble :(. Christmas, birthdays, car repairs, emergencies, etc. The list seems endless. And a holiday one day would be nice. Our pots are like sieves because of our low and erratic income that's the trouble. The only real solution is to raise our income.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    We had a very nice day out today and it cheered me up immensely :). We went to a NT place which has a very old and fascinating house full of nooks and crannies, beautiful gardens and a nice restaurant. I made sandwiches and we took fruit and cold drinks, so the only expense was coffee in the restaurant. It was sunny and very tranquil in the gardens :).

Now we're relaxing in front of a Jodie Foster film and I'm having some cider :).

Next week we will need to work hard on finishing projects and invoicing, but somehow I don't mind hard work if I've had a great weekend. Plus my mum and stepdad are coming home tomorrow and DS2 and DS3 are coming home on Wednesday :T.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry about the wedding, at least you got to see some pics nice and quickly.

I hope the DS's are having a good time. I did a bungee jump while I was in Canada. I told my parents after the event :D:D

Glad you had a good day yesterday :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport