Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    Options
    Is that what happened to pooh ?

If you mean poohbear, she decided to stop posting. She may come back under a new name at some point. I miss her too
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    All this news of lost/deleted diaries is appalling. I always had total trust in MSE and felt this site was a safe and reliable place to be. Obviously not! Commiserations to anyone who has lost their diary:kisses3:

Funnily enough I was wondering whether to start a diary of my own after a few posters on ones I chat on have encouraged me to do it. I haven't yet mainly because, compared to everyone else whose diaries I read, like yours HH, my life is so humdrum:o. I'd hate to have no subscribers and be a Billy-no-mates (or whatever the female equivalent is:think:):eek:
    I think any diary of mine would not only be humdrum, but a long list of never-ending 'round tuits' !!

Losing all one's posts & supportive replies must be so disheartening. Is that what happened to pooh ?

I think both of you would write very interesting diaries and lots of people would subscribe. I know I would.

I don't think my life is exciting, just stressful:eek:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,618 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I think both of you would write very interesting diaries and lots of people would subscribe. I know I would.

I don't think my life is exciting, just stressful:eek:.

I would subscribe to both of your diaries :)
    Go for it :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Jwil's has gone too. :(

I suspect all we can do currently is sit tight, start new diaries where possible when ours have gone, back up for those who can do so easily and try not to let them beat us. At least with the Spam button gone things are slightly less easy for the trolls.
    Hope you have had a good day HHOD away from all the traumas of lost diaries.
    Munchin wrote: »
    Really sad to see the diaries being attacked like this. The support I get from reading and posting has been amazing. Can't see the logic in wanting to sabotage the threads but there is no rhyme or reason why people want to do this sort of thing.

It is very upsetting but I agree with Essex, we sit tight and fight the trolls. They'll give up before we do.

A shame about jwil's diary :( another one I used to follow :(.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've come on here to let off steam :mad:.

My dad just rang to check we were coming to their anniversary party (the one our children are not invited to :mad:). He spent 15 minutes telling me about a family I've never met and a film they'd seen at the cinema.

Then he asked me how the children are. I said ok and was about to tell him about about what they'd been doing, but I never got a chance! He asked if DS2 had got his birthday card and money. I said I think so. He then said DS2 hadn't said thank you and it was naughty of him not to say thank you and to pass that message on to DS2. And then he said his meal was ready and he had to go! I was speechless:mad:.

I never got a chance to tell him that DS2 is going to New Orleans again next week, DS3 has four university offers and a job, and DS1 has changed his name by deed poll. But then would he really be interested? :mad:

I know that DS2 should say thank you, but he's 23. There's not much I can do about it and I don't want to jeopardise our delicate relationship by passing on a message like that :(.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system :o.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Your son Is old enough to say thank you if he wants you can't force them xx

I think your dad was really rude which is a shame so rant away x
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Abba, I came off the phone feeling really negative and then I thought, but I haven't done anything wrong :mad:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Anyway, apart from the phone call mentioned above, today has been quite good.

I did my park walk and got a bit muddy because I strayed from the path to take a photo of some frosty trees. The park managed to be both muddy and frosty this morning :rotfl:.

Then we got work done, I did two PA surveys and had a NSD :T.

Towards the end of the day DS2 came in to say he was going to New Orleans again next week, for three weeks this time :eek:. But I won't worry so much this time as he's done it before.

Tomorrow is food shop and I will try very hard to stick to my £74 budget :o.

Hope everyone has had a great Monday :).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,618 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, as your DS2 is 23 you cant make him do ANYTHING!!
    Families!!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,495 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Your dad was in the wrong not you. Your DS should thank him when he next sees him but if he doesn't that's not down to you.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback