Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Once they have passed into adulthood it is brutally unfair to try to make YOU feel guilty about what your father feels are your children's failings. On the other hand I don't buy the argument about cutting people some slack to be downright rude "because of their age" either - yes someone being older than me affords them respect but that respect still has to be earned and deserved I'm afraid!

Makes me realise quite how lucky I was with the three of my grandparents that I knew, though.

Happy shopping-list day HH! :rotfl:

I do agree Essex that people need to earn respect whatever their age.
    Hi Hairy,

Just caught up on the past few days.

GRR to your dad making you feel that way, DS is old enough to sort himself out, nothing much you can do.

Hope the dentist for DS 2 goes well, throw a flannel in his face to wake him up...always works with my DS lol

Have a great day xx

Thanks Purplemum, we didn't need to resort to the flannel luckily :rotfl:
    Sorry you've felt low after your telephone conversation Hairy. I hope you've cheered up as it's nothing to do with you that you son hasn't been in contact with your dad to thank him. As others have pointed out he's an adult and you can't make him! I remember that one of my best friends used to stand over her sons when they were children/young teenagers and make them write thank you notes. My mum used to rave about how wonderful they were that they wrote to her to say thank you! However, once they hit late teens that was it! Never wrote anything again! And my friend said the same as you - they're adults now and it's their responsibility - she'd done her bit to instil the good manners and now it was up to them!

By the way though - there is one thing I think you should bully your son about even though he is grown - get him out of bed to see that dentist before he goes off to the States! If he runs into trouble out there with his tooth it'll cost a packet! His insurance may well cover it, but it'll make a dent in his travel money as he probably won't be able to reclaim the cost until he gets back!

Your story comforts me SSG :).

DS2 did wake up in time for the dentist and is the proud owner of a new filling :T :rotfl:
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hope the shopping trip went well today HHOD!!

Yay to DS's filling, can't believe he's off again in a couple of weeks!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Just catching up a little, I'm so sad to read that people are losing their diaries, hopefully whatever is going on will be sorted out very shortly.

Hairy how proud you must be of DS3 having 4 university offers! I remember my offers coming in slowly and feeling incredibly proud of myself so for your child to receive them must be such an incredible proud moment.

I am very proud of him for going to college, working hard and getting four offers :D.

Mind you part of me doesn't want him to go because I'll miss him :( and part of me does want him to go because it will be good for him. Mixed feelings, but I mainly want him to go for his sake :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope DS2 can get his tennancy terminated before he goes on his next trip.

DH typed a letter for him today to give a month's notice and DS2 has signed it, so we'll drop it at the agency tomorrow. Got there in the end :D.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hope the shopping trip went well today HHOD!!

Yay to DS's filling, can't believe he's off again in a couple of weeks!!! xx

DS2 is going on 7th February, which is next week :eek:. We only ever get a week's notice :eek:. Keeps us on our toes anyway :rotfl:.

Yes it's a relief he finally made it to the dentist :T.

My shopping went quite well. I spent £77 pounds which could be a lot worse and also got a petrol voucher for 10p off a litre :T.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow missing for a day and I miss loads.

My kids are always in trouble with my parents for not phoning to say thank you for whatever, so take it with a pinch of salt. My kids have a great relationship with their grandparents but I can!!!8217;t make them say thank you for everything.

DS2 hope he has a great time and don!!!8217;t worry about him, especially now he had his tooth sorted.

Shopping in budget so that!!!8217;s fab.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria, you are all making me feel a lot better :).

I'm going to try very hard not to worry about DS2 and may or may not succeed :rotfl:. He's staying in a hostel in a shared room this time as it's cheaper. Rather him than me :eek:. Still he's young and I'd have probably done it at his age.

I hope you're okay Cumbria?
  • System
    Options
    Heading of to work tomorrow, spent most of the day resurrecting my diary and doing a budget for the year.

My DS is heading to USA/ Canada at the end of this year , cowboy thing has gone , more Canadian Mountie I believe.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'm glad you're resurrecting your diary Cumbria. You must be better if you're going back to work, I hope so anyway.

Your DS is spening a bit more time planning his trip than mine :rotfl: I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
  • System
    Options
    I still need more blood tests , but convinced doctor I need to go to work lol .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback