Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Options

Comments

• stevie11
    Options
    henry24 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be so bad if they would say which flights are cancelled now instead of leaving to a couple of days before, we're flying with them in 2 weeks do we wait and see or cancel now and book elsewhere
    Spot on. If they give sufficient notice people can make other plans but there are reports stating Pax are only notified hours before in some cases.

I have a positioning flight in a couple of weeks (Man-Dub) and can't afford for the flight to be cancelled so have quickly booked a cheap air lingus flight just in case, which I will probably take even if my Ryanair booking isn't cancelled.

Is the reason given a smokescreen and are Ryanair just cancelling less profitable routes so leaving it late to cancel to see how busy the payload is?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    'Effin ridiculous!!! I've vowed never to use Ryanair in the past, mainly because they have so much bad press but also because their CEO is a prize %*#@... I did however succumb recently and it was ok but my flight was loaded up with so many extras it turned into a false economy.

I'm flying to London next Monday, as usual for work, only this time I've decided to take the family with me. £119 for for of us to Stansted, nice! Booked weeks ago, only to be told 4 days before flying that our flight has been cancelled. They've offered to rebook or refund but they've told us so late that we've had to pay £200 more for a replacement flight.

It's no bloody good giving me my money back when I'm a further £200 out of pocket thanks to them. Wouldn't mind if there was a geniune reason. I look after 600 staff and we control our holidays across the fulle year, we know everyone's entitlement and competently, we plan accordingly. What rights do I have? Presumably none. Let's start a petition for these bunch of muppets. Let's seek punitive action for quite frankly treating their customers like dogs and assuming it's just ok to do this type of thing. Thank goodness for brexit. With any luck, the one good thing that has come out of that @&*#'s mouth is their threat to stop flying to Europe. Good, no loss there.

So you vowed never to use Ryanair, but you did recently and found them to be poor value (because you're unable to add together the various components of their pricing structure?). So you booked to use them again next week. Okey dokey!

If Ryanair stop certain routes due to Brexit, they will be to and from the UK, they will still operate their hundreds of other flights across the rest of Europe. The only people that will suffer as a result of that would be UK consumers, especially those outside of London. That would be a huge loss for both holiday makers and business people.

This latest situation with Ryanair is unacceptable, they shouldn't be leaving passengers waiting to find out whether their travel plans are being disrupted. But it still amazes me how many people vow never to use them but do so repeatedly. I guess Mr O'Leary knows that, whatever he says or does, he can still fill planes with both willing passengers, and those that claim they will never fly with them.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect the sharp fallout from this is going to cause them to change their minds pretty quickly - a lot of negative publicity.

That doesn't normally bother them, but this time it's causing people to view these shysters with even deeper suspicion than usual and book with someone else.

What's the point of saving £50 on a flight if you have to spend £500 to get back? And despite the very clear law on this, Ryanair have a track record of simply refusing to comply.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flying back from Bologna tomorrow with them. No news yet but that is almost worse! They are refusing to issue a full list of flights following various requests from people on twitter.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evolution, not revolution
  • korky69
    korky69 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    not sure of the various laws and of the change from country to country but surely a threat from whoever controls the UK side of it, government etc. should step in now and threaten to remove its rights/license to fly in our airspace at all whilst it puts its residents in limbo, even danger for some.
    i've flown ryanair many many times with only major 1 issue so usually no complaints,
    but this is taking the pee, so if you do manage to fly out ok you don't know for certain if they'll honour the return leg?
    this is a scandalous attitude and needs looking at asap
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    korky69 wrote: »
    not sure of the various laws and of the change from country to country but surely a threat from whoever controls the UK side of it, government etc. should step in now and threaten to remove its rights/license to fly in our airspace at all whilst it puts its residents in limbo, even danger for some.
    i've flown ryanair many many times with only major 1 issue so usually no complaints,
    but this is taking the pee, so if you do manage to fly out ok you don't know for certain if they'll honour the return leg?
    this is a scandalous attitude and needs looking at asap

Where does the danger come from?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I suspect the sharp fallout from this is going to cause them to change their minds pretty quickly - a lot of negative publicity.
    You genuinely think this bothers them ? 100m+ passengers per year use their flying buses - a lot are people who've grown up knowing no different and are happy to be able to fly/explore whilst taking a risk that things might change (and treating this as part of the adventure/gamble)

As usual there'll be some posturing and a political message behind this - either aimed at governments, unions or airports but the reality is people forget previous issues when the price/convenience factors show themselves when booking a flight.

If you think this is bad wait till he (and EZY etc) start their Brexit positioning in the coming weeks
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    If it was April I'd be convinced this was an April Fool! They are cancelling flights to improve punctuality targets and because they've screwed up staff leave?? Seriously??

This isn't like anything Ryanair have done. They have a reputation for finding extra ways to charge customers, but as long as you understand the rules you'll get a cheap, efficent and usually on time flight. Nothing they've ever done has put me off flying with them but this has. Being stranded somewhere and being told the next flight is in 3 days....or having a short break ruined because they say the next flight out is the day you planned to return...

I think this fiasco will cost them far far more than an 80% punctuality record and paying overtime/supply staff.
  • firefox1956
    Options
    Well I have seen, heard & read some unbelievable cr*p from Ryanair over the years but this just about beats it all hands down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure