Has "professional" decorator used the wrong type of paint?

Options
1235»

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Paint doesn't just flake off when it's wiped, regardless of what type it is. If it's not stuck to the paint underneath it's because it's been put on by a cowboy who didn't prepare the surface adequately before painting.

:rotfl::rotfl:aka "professional decorator" here for donkeys years and friend of those locally that think of themselves as "the great and good":rotfl::rotfl:

You'll notice my careful phrasing = "think of themselves as":cool:

I am inclined to believe that this is it:cool: but just taking the precautionary measure of using a different type of paint for next decorator (who definitely doesnt come in the same category as the first one).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don' t forget you'll need to strip the walls before you repaint, otherwise the new paint will just be stuck on top of the stuff that's already flaking off.
  • Rosieandjim
    Options
    I have exactly the same problems in my kitchen that was decorated before I arrived here. The paint just rubs off especially around the window sills.

We tried to paint one of the walls and the paint bubbled and just came off. Hubby rubbed it all down but still had problems with it not adhering properly.

The only thing I can think is that the wall in question is an outside wall and may be damp
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Don' t forget you'll need to strip the walls before you repaint, otherwise the new paint will just be stuck on top of the stuff that's already flaking off.

How would I have that done?
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2017 at 6:15PM
    Options
    For info. I've just had an email back today from Dulux re the paint coming off in kitchen.

They say this decorator shouldnt have used "Natural Hints emulsion". He should have used "Kitchen paint matt emulsion" (ie the one I said to use in the first place to him:cool: - but why listen to me?:mad: I'm only the customer - and a woman:mad:).

He could also have used Dulux Easycare (which is designed for high traffic areas and can stand a bit of wiping off).

Am feeling very cynical about the number of conversations over the last couple of years - where I've been having one conversation with the workman/dentist/hairdresser/you name it - and they've heard me having the conversation they wanted me to have (ie based on them being the one in charge - rather than the person who actually IS in charge - ie the customer).

Am going to be very careful in future that they hear me having the conversation I am actually having with them - rather than what is going on in their own little heads and they hear "the conversation in their head that goes the way they want it to go" instead of what the person in charge is actually saying (ie me):cool: - and every last word the person I say to them goes down in writing!

P'ed off at the moment - as someone else was busily telling me about the imaginary conversation I'd had last time I had their services - rather than the one we actually had. Off to google for a replacement for them.....or a tape recorder.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you know what you want, a specification sheet can be typed-up in five minutes. That way a decorator knows exactly what they're quoting for and there's no ambiguity.

Having a bit of clarity works for both sides.
    Options
    Too trusting 'r us.

Yep...I know.

Future reference - I will write every single last "dot and comma" down and give them the photocopy - so they cant try and misremember the conversation.:cool:
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    No, I've read it four times and I cannot make sense of it. By the way your link seems to lead to an advert for a commercial painting and decorating company. If this was a mistake then fine but otherwise it is against the rules of the forum.
  • Cats_are_great
    Options
    The decorator should have prepared the surface properly to ensure there wasn't any grease or contaminants. It is very rarely the fault of the paint, very often the fault of the person applying it. I use Matt paint in my kitchen as I prefer the finish but there is a couple of grease spots near the cooker. I have some of the paint in a jam jar and once every 6 months clean the wall with sugar soap on a sponge allow to dry and touch it up. So long as there isn't strong light which can fade the paint and the paint is from the original tin (for batch purpose) you will be fine.

I would call the decorator back and don't let him blame the paint!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure