We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,690 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    SFD 7/18 :) I think my record is 8 in a month so should smash it :)

Exercise 20,845 steps which included 30 minutes in work gym at lunchtime :)

No heating yet as quite warm in the sun here today :)
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Day 14/30
    Spendy day today, had my bi-monthly haircut, not sure if that counts as a 'beauty spend', more a matter of being able to see out really, £22 plus a tip :rotfl:
    As it was not a goer as a SFD, I spent £2.14 in Iceland and bought a couple of bits in the charity shop, £2.50. All spends recorded. Must update the grocery spends in my signature in a minute.
    Managed a couple of miles walking today, as I walked into town for my haircut instead of taking the car.
    All food from home
    Use ups - dealt with a carrier bag of pears that someone had given OH. Made a pear crumble, stewed some for breakfast fruit and have some in the dehydrator :)
    No heating
    No social spending
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check in #14/30
    Spending today included ingredients ready for the weekend baking and replenishing some basic store cupboard items.
    Me time was a cuppa with a neighbour catching up after their holidays.

I also recommend the heated rail option, which I find is good for getting heavy items like denim and towels dry before they start smelling when they're not dried quick enough.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • stoplurking
    Options
    Sorry I missed check in 14/30. Definitely not a SFD, paid £60 for yoga and a £2k deposit on an event. So, not very scrimpy. Met up with good friend and a bit of exercise so that's a win on social/me time front. Lunch to work 10/21. Dinners from stores/freezer. With the weekend coming up if I get 1 SFD I'll be happy.
    Hope everyone has a great day.
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Today will not be a NSD as I am paying the scaffolding bunny, :j so have done a food inventory and will menu plan and do a small shop while I am at it.

Not looking forward to the double glazing cheque going out, and my ££ safety net looks more like a hammock.:(

Gratitudes:

It's not raining!!
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2017 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Hello fellow scrimpers!

f0xh0les there are some hefty bills coming up. But remember it sounds like you have saved the money and it's hard to part with it but it's getting paid without more debt!

Spend day here too. Booked tickets to the enchanted forrest and booked a good deal on a cabin for three nights after it. That's the first Oct holiday week covered. The second DS will go to holiday club.

Will be back later
    DEBT 06/24: CC 6347 5120 £2350 £2000, OD £500, Other £3100 £2650 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • ChasingSunshine
    Options
    Morning and happy Friday,

Yesterday ended up being a NSD as was just shattered when came in from work and so didn't bother to hit the supermarket. Today have no choice as to keep using up food have to buy some fresh ingredients to make up the meals.

Good news that a neighbour from home is coming to visit in October. Staying for a week but will entertain herself when I am at work and we can just hang out in the evenings / weekend. Need to look up some cheap / free things to do locally as know she is going on mat leave soon and cash is tight.

Well done on having all the money saved for the windows f0xh0les can imagine it hurts to pay it out but how good not to have to borrow for any of it.
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Sorry for missing check in - fell asleep whilst reading the column and when I woke up the battery needed recharging. Made it to mum's and did a small shop for each of us so no SFD. Did a little bit of work on sorting some crafty stuff and made meals for us both, but otherwise very lazy. Oh and booked a 5 day break in Harrogate in December for us both (mum paying). The 'Twixmas' break in LLandudno was fully booked - not sure whether to be sad or relieved, mum has already started issuing edicts about what I should wear (includes sandals 'for the evenings'). She has already said I need to start dieting for DS1's wedding (and cannot wear trainers under my dress - I gave her the look).

More of the same today, small shop (slightly further away than yesterday) for us both then taxi to mum's (will bring my shopping home later). Sun is shining so wondering if I can paint a fence post or two? Mr and Mrs Builder are still frantically busy (and Mrs Builder has sustained a couple of injuries), mum contacted the lad who painted inside the house but he hasn't got back to her so painting the yard and finishing the kitchen has reverted back to me ('we' mum says as in she says what needs doing and I do it - very slowly, in 15 minute chunks).

I am grateful for taxis (really could not even manage the bits I have done without them), for being able to walk about a little bit and for there being lots of benches in the town centre where I can stop for a while. I know I said I wanted to stop the world and get off for a bit, but I wanted to be fit to do some of the backlog of stuff accumulating - rest has done me good but I want to DO.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2017 at 12:04PM
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »
    DS1's wedding (and cannot wear trainers under my dress - I gave her the look).

I think you could, maybe not the dirty gardening ones :rotfl:. Most dresses are long enough so no-one would notice. Or you could get dressy flat pumps or sth. A friend of mine got married and she has a bad spine. So as the bride she wore high heels for the ceremony and then slipped into her favourite golden trainers :D. No-one bat an eyelid as they knew she couldn't wear heels all day.

I turned up to a wedding in high heels but had my trainers in the car. The ground was so uneven that I had to take my heels off and wore my trainers with my 50s pencil dress.
    DEBT 06/24: CC 6347 5120 £2350 £2000, OD £500, Other £3100 £2650 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Check in 15/30 and have pencilled myself in for a NSD, number 8 of 18 :)

Today is lovely and sunny and finally getting my tax refund money made it even brighter :D

My daughter send me my money back too as she's now safely in Australia for the next 6-8 months.

So, I still have my £1000 emergency money in premium bonds (you never know, I can daydream about the big one)

I've also opened a separate savings account which I can't take money from for 12 months. Feels like I'm getting somewhere :T

Heating - not yet. I almost cracked yesterday (for the guest you understand) but I've not yet had the heating on in this flat and I couldn't get it to work! Something to sort by October

Shopping can wait till tomorrow - hence the NSD.

Beauty spends - none yet

Exercise - will go for a long walk while the sunshine lasts

Me time - crochet later

mothernerd I also can't wear heels (or most shoes) For those occasions when something less sturdy looking is needed I can highly recommend skechers memory foam ballerina style pumps. No one would guess they wear like trainers

Anyway, have a lovely day scrimpers

VB x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills