NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    Options
    4/30 a spending day due to the general lack of milk.
    24.58/500 on groceries - all spends recorded.
    Dinner: Onion soup and HM bread, leftovers and veg
    Time for me: book and bath later
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    4/30
    SFD today 2/18 My Mum had a home visit eye test today. She needed new eye glasses, but she paid for them, so am not including it as a spend.
    No exercise today.
    Took time to read today and catch up with watching Victoria.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Some inventive using up of cereal residues. The freezer is rather unfortunate but it seems you can salvage most of it. How dod you make fridge cake. Just melt the chocolate and mix it all together?

I melt the chocolate, add a bit of marg & cheap syrup - stretches it and keeps it a bit squidgier to bite into. Then throw in what I've got hanging around. I actually have a kilner jar for ends of appropriate cereal packs (rice crispies, anything chocolatey, cheerios - all of these work well (we don't have all of them but have had in the past) Broken bits of biscuits out of the biscuit barrel go in there and I've also used cookies I've baked which haven't been eaten in time and have gone crunchy - very much waste not, want not! A handful of A1di mini marshmallows in it makes an interesting pattern and texture (they semi-melt) and then throw it all in a tray in the fridge to harden. I keep it in the fridge once set and cut up into pieces :)

I use ends of cornflake packs (if I get them - DS2 loves cornflake 'dust' (weirdo)) in flapjacks - along with granola and muesli like today. DS1 usually brings back some rat(ion) pack fruit and cereals from annual camp and they all get used in flapjacks once school goes back. Next week's batch will have apple & cinnamon rat pack muesli in - and banana from the freezer (if it survives!!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2017 at 9:43PM
    Options
    4/30
    Failed again to manage a SFD (see above :o)
    Impressive use ups for dinner though, I made an inauthentic version of pasta puttanesca, which included 2 lurking part jars, one of capers and one of olives, half a tin of anchovies which had spent ages in the freezer, and a couple of slices of leftover ham, with a tin of tomatoes and some herbs and spices. It was tasty, and there is plenty left for lunch tomorrow, too :D

I have managed to put off the weekly supermarket shopping for a extra day - may try to avoid tomorrow as well, if OH doesn't moan too much about having eaten all of his favourite cereal - there are plenty of other things to eat after all :)

Picked lots of home grown produce :)

Not managed any exercise today due to a hospital visit this morning and visitors calling this afternoon.

All spends are being recorded in my spending diary, which I am finding very useful, I suspect the most useful thing for me about the whole challenge :)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,123 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all,
    Check-in 4/30
    Not a SFD but nothing has affected budgets. Mr f bought a magazine from his September personal spends which I shall generously kick in a quid towards as I'll read it too. Spent £1 on a nice card to send my poorly Dad.
    Today's best scrimp was defo packing a picnic for the drive over to campsite, plus big flask of coffee. Reckon we saved about £15 minimum there.
    Exercise goal - Yep. 10,500 / 7000 steps so far.
    Me time - well, sitting outside tent waiting for solar fairy lights to come on while watching my husband cook is pretty relaxing.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,323 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Day 4 check in. Another SFD 2/18. Exercise was walk to and from work (3miles each way) and 30 minutes in work gym at lunchtime. Just over 19k steps done :) Need to shift the 2lb excess baggage from holiday! Me time was a lovely soak in the bath with candles after work. No heating on yet, still quite warm here :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Clippy Did think of doing minimum 2 night stays but decided not yet. We're in Edinburgh (moved 4 months ago) and there's loads of airbnb, hostels and hotels here so I don't really want to limit our chances of getting bookings. All going swimmingly so far!

Thriftylass Thanks, yes, I was put back on the straight and narrow :D

Check in 4/30

NSD number 2 (I'm on a roll)

Room sorted, washing done, guest will be appearing any minute. Tomorrow is the last single nighter for a bit - there's a 3 nighter after that which feels a bit less like work!

Have been going through finances. Found one stray DD - it looks like I didn't cancel my previous broadband when we moved so I've overpaid for that :( There's also a 0% credit card ending next month but we have the money put away to pay that off. Apart from that there's no obvious financial leakages. Need to now plan the next 6 months - what's coming in and what's going out. We don't have regular income but with hubby's freelance work sorted I know what's coming in until April 2018.

No exercise (didn't sort the exercise bike)
    Time for me - crochet and will watch a horror film later when hubby's out (he hates them)

Onwards and upwards!

VB x
  • cybertortoise
    Options
    Just a quick check in , another NSD (4/18) as we did need a couple of bits but my mum bought them as she's staying for a few days. Exercise was walking but I'm only counting half the distance as it was to take my DD to preschool and was very slow going until I dropped her off.

Another hug here for Abundant, what an awful time you've been having. xx
    Restarted my journey toward financial stability on 1st September 2021 - I will succeed!

Total debt - £39888.13 @ 31.08.21

Current debt - £21270.51 @ 29.12.2023
    Paid to date: £18617.62

DFD: Aiming for end of 2028
  • LollyPop0312
    Options
    Check in 4/30. No Spend Day 2/18 :) feeling good about those stats!
    Productive day of clearing out and cleaning and prepped our new baby bag (due in 4 weeks!!)
    Well wishes to all hope the challenge going well so far!!
    Lolly
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Grateful today for not getting soaked on the way to work, for lovely work colleagues, for getting some bothersome paperwork completed, for a free lunch, for an excellent talk about pensions, for a good brisk walk to the bus, for playing car races with dd, for dd's good friend being back from holiday, for a plan for tomorrow.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure