NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    *This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00. Oops...is it too late? I can spectate if so ;)

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !
    Will try (from today) to check In once a day!

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!
    Sorted....and I've spent £3 on soya milk since the 1st

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.
    I'll certainly try!

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!
    Will do

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. £100 should cover that

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help
    Definitely need to do this!! :o

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.
    Easy....I don't eat lunch!! :rotfl:

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.
    September is dd's birthday so will be out for that but nothing else in September

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???
    April 1st 2019...bucket list already written ;)

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!
    This will be tough, but I'll try yoga again

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?
    Not a problem...I don't spend that in 6 months!! :rotfl:

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.
    I do this anyway :D

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc.
    I'm determined to do this...difficult though as I'm a natural lizard!! :rotfl:

I hope you'll have me.... ;):D
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 September 2017 at 7:36PM
    Options
    dizzyblnd - There were charities at the event and people raising money for them. It was not compulsory to pick a charity to raise funds for. I did not choose a charity as I wanted to do the challenge. It was for people of all abilities. I wanted to do the challenge even though I have arthritis. There were many people there with disabilities. If I am still able will do the walk again if the event is on there next year and would raise money for a charity. Wanted to see how it was.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • redofromstart
    Options
    3/30 a no spending day 2/18
    6.24/500 on groceries recorded.
    Dinner: Beef and trimmings from freezer plus baked (muffins, custard tart, bakewell)
    Time for me: never on sundays, maybe bath and book later though.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh,abundant, massive hugs to you! What a time you have had - and continue to have. I hope you are able to enjoy being with your family - especially your mum - as you settle in and take stock. (Did you have time to read the Contented Dementia book?) Keep in touch - I have an image of you with pompoms and lycra, cheering us all on...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    3/30
    Still haven't managed a SFD :o I can see I am going to struggle with this :( Bought a bargain dog crate to keep the little critter in whilst in the car (£5 from a car boot sale) plus some bread and nice cheeses from a local food festival. A few small spends for my business also, but I don't count those. All spends (apart from business ones which are recorded in my 'proper' accounts) written down in my little black book! Grocery spends so far £16.53/ £160.00.

Used up lots of bits from the fridge for lunch today :T
    Dinner ingredients from fridge / freezer / garden :)
    Not a great day exercise wise, probably managed just about a mile (in the rain :()
    No heating, though it is really wet and quite cold here today :(
  • dizzyblnd
    Options
    Kerry woman that's great. Glad u enjoyed it. What's the event called?
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dizzyblnd wrote: »
    Kerry woman that's great. Glad u enjoyed it. What's the event called?

It is called Parallel London. It was the 2nd year that it has been held.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SFD #1. Lazy day but DS3 and beloved have complained about our internet problems and we are getting an engineer on Tuesday - they are aslo going to look at a new provider (I only asked them 5 months ago).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • clippy_girl
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Am at airport waiting for the first of my 3 flights home :eek::( trying not to waste money so eaten the grapes we had left over and saved an empty water bottle to refill now I'm through security :A got about $9 left so will buy some sweeties :) Will get loads of free food in main flight in around 5 hours so need to be strong til then lol!

Good luck for your new job and home abundant :A

Vintage Brighton gave you thought about switching your settings to 2 days minimum stay? Assume you are in Brighton so don't think you would have an issue. Best thing I have done since I joined :)

Annoyingly I was supposed to have a guest come for two weeks and she cancelled a few days ago so now i only have 3 nights booked this month. Not good at helping me with my debt repayments :(

I have bought pretty much everything on my credit card this holiday (fee free) so just need to wait for final amount to update. Have come in under budget I think which is good :)

Should have a decent amount left for credit card so will need to wait until Tuesday once balances updated :cool:

Looking forward to the challenge but will need a spend day when I land as will need to get shopping and a taxi from airport (only £10 and cheaper than parking)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check in #3/30
    Notebook not needed today as NSD #2/18
    Will be checking balances tomorrow to check all dd/so have gone out as planned. Will then review the monthly budget to see what scope there is for future replacement of worn out items at some point in the coming months. Trying to be proactive rather than reactive and keep control of the £s.
    Food budget had the possibility of being trimmed this month whilst using up cupboard/freezer contents though DD2 now looking to expand her cooking/baking repertoire. A positive of this is that it will help in extending packed lunch options.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport