What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 28 August

Options

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :)
    PF, I hope your little girl enjoys her first day at school. The little ones look so cute in their uniforms :) They don't go back here until next week.
    So far today I have:
    HG blueberries and raspberries with breakfast
    Put a wash on, for drying outside once it is done
    Walked dog
    Tidied kitchen
    Wrestled with netting to keep the butterflies and pigeons off the sprouts and kale - needs more wrangling, but will need OH to help

Still to do:
    Peg out washing
    Take new stock to sales unit, tidy up, bring back some unsold bits and put away
    Try to secure garden netting better
    Squish caterpillars on kale (yuck :eek:)
    HG cucumbers and tomatoes with lunch
    Clean bathroom
    RM surveys tasks
    Check for online surveys
    Maybe make a batch of scones
    Investigate fridge for items that need using or freezing
    Need to buy a couple of things I forgot yesterday, my list has 2 things on it, and that is all I will buy!
    Cold meat cooked yesterday for dinner, with HG veg

Better finish this coffee and go to the sales unit!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Morning all :coffee:
    Sorry you didn't get your day out yesterday Purps - but sounds as though it kind of worked out ok in the end. Hope the little one enjoys her first day back at school. I just keep thinking that this time next week I'll be full on back into the teaching :cry: In some ways the hols have gone on for ever, but in others it's flown over.
    As I'd suspected, dh was too unwell yesterday for us to do anything, but no big deal. I was happy enough to stay in and bag another nsd and get some more crochet done. I also managed to find time to read a book I've been putting off for ages - which I've really enjoyed.
    Not too many plans today other than a quick trip out to get some cat food - I have a PAH voucher which expires Thursday and it would be a shame not to use it. Also pop to m&s for lunch bits, which sounds extravagant but I have a £5 voucher for there that my mam gave me as well. Other than that just the basics of housework, do some washing, get the kids to tidy up and do some meal planning. It's payday Thursday and exam season is over so we really need to get back into the usual routine in terms of health and wealth.
    Have a good day all :wave:
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2017 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Hi folks - hope all who have kiddiewinkles returning/starting school have a not too emotional day.
    I've been reading but not posting as stress levels seem to be maxed out but as I'm on holiday for 2 weeks I have time to get myself sorted out.
    We're doing well as DH is also stressed - last night I had to tell him who I was and walk him round the house as he was lost :eek:. This happens from time to time - he normally remembers the dogs before he remembers me :p. Unfortunately he's been told he needs to go the big city tomorrow across the new bridge and I know this will stress him out. Been looking on-line and they're not releasing the time the shiny new bridge will be opened because of security but I have a feeling he'll be in the middle of it.....

So to take my mind of it - here's today's bitty list:-
    • [STRIKE]Check banks[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]2 letters to be done for DH[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Post above letters and go to glass recycling[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Make up "tickler file". I have all that is required - just need to get arris in gear and do[/STRIKE]
    • Look at bills for rest of month & pay/transfer funds as required
    • [STRIKE]Stick a washing on[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Clean out fishtank[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Sew buttons on 2 pairs of DH trousers[/STRIKE]

I'll add to this as I potter on through the day

Have a good day y'all - and thanks for all posting - reading your posts keeps me on the narrow MSE path
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 800 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys-

Today started as a good day as I finally got some money I was owed by the tax man. I haven't budgeted for it as I wasn't sure it was reliable so I have put it straight into savings. I need a good month after splurging in August. I have done some printing I needed to do at work and tonight I am going to look up free places to take the kiddie winkles. Xx
  • laurenh1
    Options
    I appreciate I say August as if its passed but mentally it has for me as pay day has been and gone. Xx
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I feel like it's gone too, Lauren!

Unsurprisingly the engineering works overran so I was late into work but it was still better than not travelling at all which was what the bloke in the ticket office advised, I can't afford to keep losing a days money every time they screw up!

I do now have a booking somewhere else for one of the weeks in September I'm not booked here. I really do keep trying to get out and do something else but this is the only thing I'm good at and it's so much easier to just keep doing the same old, same old.

Lunch today was a sausage roll and some crisps, the cheapest thing I can find to buy when my forward planning is lacking.

I had to refund one of my ebay sales as I'd miscalculated the weight and I'd have been lucky to break even. I still need to wrap and post another.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Morning all :)
    PF, I hope your little girl enjoys her first day at school. The little ones look so cute in their uniforms :) They don't go back here until next week.
    So far today I have:
    HG blueberries and raspberries with breakfast
    Put a wash on, for drying outside once it is done
    Walked dog
    Tidied kitchen
    Wrestled with netting to keep the butterflies and pigeons off the sprouts and kale - needs more wrangling, but will need OH to help

Still to do:
    Peg out washing Done, 2 loads, one is already in and ready for ironing or folding (preferably!)
    Take new stock to sales unit, tidy up, bring back some unsold bits and put away Done :)
    Try to secure garden netting better Sort of done :huh:
    Squish caterpillars on kale (yuck :eek:) Done some, will need to revisit this :(
    HG cucumbers and tomatoes with lunch Done
    Clean bathroom Done
    RM surveys tasks Done
    Check for online surveys Just a couple for onepoll so far today
    Maybe make a batch of scones Not done, will do tomorrow with GD, I expect!
    Investigate fridge for items that need using or freezing OKfor today
    Need to buy a couple of things I forgot yesterday, my list has 2 things on it, and that is all I will buy! I bought only a loaf of bread and some mustard :D
    Cold meat cooked yesterday for dinner, with HG veg Done

Better finish this coffee and go to the sales unit!

Don't usually join in with the challenges, but I have decided to join Thriftylass's NST Super September Scrimping challenge, as I need to seriously rein in spending after a very spendy few months :eek:
    From the discussion on the FB group, I am not the only one who has not been watching as closely as I should have been :o
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    A late check-in from me & it's been a 'day of two halves' where money saving is concerned.
    NOT money saving - Paying builders £300 (though it was for a job that has needed doing for the longest time & the outside of our house now looks much better).
    On the money saving front:
    *Intended to pop to Waitrose to pick up a few items required for this week's preserving. Decided to go to Aldi instead, as I would usually do for our main shop. Saved £4.79. Not a fortune, but at nearly a £5 difference this sort of amount adds up, as we all know.
    *Used 2 kg homegrown tomatoes to make a batch of smoky tomato chutney. All recycled jam jars & lids. Two jars of this will go in the presents box for a couple of people who we know really like it.
    *Baked bread.
    *Did rubber pork. It did a roast dinner yesterday. I divvied up the leftovers & froze a tray of slices in leftover gravy for a 'free' roast dinner at some point, also did hot pork cobs with apple sauce tonight, with home made coleslaw & finished off leftover olives. Chunked up most of the rest of it & together with a sweep of use-it-up veg in the fridge, made a big pan of curry which I've frozen in 2 containers. That left a few slices of pork for mr f's sandwiches tomorrow & the little scraggy bits which I was asked to save for the latest epic man=stew he's planning to make on Thursday (!).
    *Made packed lunch.
    *Did a bank transfer to facilitate paying builders & keep budgets straight.
    *Received letter about extra Nectar points - apparently we now get double points on groceries & petrol because we have a pet insurance policy. Double points last for as long as we keep the policy. Have had the policy a while, so assume this must be a new arrangement.
    *Knit.
    *Didn't quite manage to get laundry dry outside on the line, but am finishing it off a couple of garments at a time on top of the bathroom towel radiator. Hopefully it will be a better drying day tomorrow.
    OK, that will do me. Will have a look at the September challenge too, as defo need a couple of months of angelic budgeting to make up for the fact that we have dipped into our savings so much recently (builders & large appliances deciding to cark it). Both mr f & I are up for some canny budgeting between now & Christmas.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • laurenh1
    Options
    It looks like most people have had a spendy few months! I am officially on a complete cut back!! I have had two payouts from things I wasn't expecting though which I have put straight into savings and I've bought another cgridymss
  • laurenh1
    Options
    (oops didnt mean to press reply) ive bought another xmas gift because lets face it - it is coming!! I can stick to budget this month if I am sensible!!

Foxglove the pickle sounds amazing, one of our faves:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure