Options
1234568»

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 May 2021 at 5:13PM
    Options
    I was going by what was on my PIP award letter too, but my letter is dated 2018, it's now 2021. The wording on the government page has changed since since at least six months ago. 
    As I have already said the wording in April 2019 was the same as it is today which can be verified by looking at provious versions of the website.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Charles_Foxtrot
    Options
    Even with the ADM guide posted by spoonie you still argue....

Not arguing, again pointing out what the gov.uk website now says about reporting change of circumstances. And that it is confusing. Not sure what your problem is? 
  • Waylaid
    Waylaid Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 May 2021 at 8:33PM
    Options
    I had to go to Canada for a family emergency in mid-March 2020. I called DWP, ESA, PIP, my council, etc., and told them. Had return ticket 26 days later (just in case). Of course, by early April it seemed likely that I wouldn't be able to get back before 28 days had passed. I couldn't find any numbers for ESA, PIP or my council that accepted international calls (ridiculous!) My partner (in London) called for me, but as I wasn't with them, the DWP refused to speak to them about my claims. Argh!! I emailed various addresses, found an international number and left messages, and was generally freaking out as the 28-day deadline approached. (My return flight was cancelled, my airline shut down until May, getting on a flight with a different company would have cost £££££££ that I didn't have, there were no charter flights to rescue Brits stranded in Canada, and I'm a dual citizen anyway, so the Embassy wouldn't help.)

Then someone from ESA called ME! She said that my ESA would continue, as a global travel shutdown due to a pandemic was a pretty good reason to overstay. Phew! I told her that I hadn't been able to contact PIP or my council, and was terrified that I'd lose PIP, EDP, SDP, HB and CTR. She said that the DWP had circulated guidance to councils to continue paying HB and CTR (this is true), so not to worry. I asked if she would be able to inform PIP of my situation, and she said, "Yes". 

My mother died days later. I was stranded alone, in her home, thousands of miles from my support system. It was very hard. My bro took pity and had me over to his on weekends. My airline extended its shutdown, and when it finally started flying again, it refused to put me on a return flight, refund me, or give me a voucher, for all kinds of reasons. Air Transat, you SUCK. I couldn't afford another flight, as I was still paying rent, bills, etc. in the UK, I had to pay bills at my Mum's and unfortunately death is expensive. :/ 

At 13 weeks + 1 day, my PIP stopped, along with my EDP and SDP. A month later, so did my HB and CTR. Messages, emails and letters produced no response. 

I have amazing friends and partner, and they loaned me thousands so I could, you know, eat. 

I eventually got back to the UK. I still haven't gotten back any of those benefits. I owe friends almost £18k. I'll be evicted in 3 weeks. 

Aaaargh
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,988 Forumite
    Options
    Waylaid said:

I eventually got back to the UK. I still haven't gotten back any of those benefits. I owe friends almost £18k. I'll be evicted in 3 weeks. 

Aaaargh

Sorry for your loss. As your ESA was part Income Related then you can no longer claim this because Universal Credit has replaced it. Have you now claimed UC? This will also include help with your rent. What about your PIP, where you able to restart that when you returned to UK?
  • Waylaid
    Waylaid Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there,
    That's the thing - I'm still getting ESA. I lost everything else.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Waylaid said:
    Hi there,
    That's the thing - I'm still getting ESA. I lost everything else.

I'm assuming that part of your ESA is Contributions based? If you need help with the rent now you will need to claim UC.
  • calcotti
    edited 31 May 2021 at 10:07AM
    Options
    poppy12345 said: As your ESA was part Income Related then you can no longer claim this because Universal Credit has replaced it. 
    If legacy contribution based ESA is in payment it can always be reassessed for income based ESA top ups. This doesn't require a new claim so it is not prevented by UC rules.
    poppy12345 said:
    Waylaid said:
    Hi there,
    That's the thing - I'm still getting ESA. I lost everything else.
    I'm assuming that part of your ESA is Contributions based? If you need help with the rent now you will need to claim UC. 
    Waylaid, if part of your ESA is contribution based and still in payment you can get the income based parts added back including the EDP and SDP. If you are going to claim UC in order to get help with rent you should get the SDP added bak to your ESA first because you will then get the SDP transitional element included in your UC calculation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    calcotti said:
    poppy12345 said: As your ESA was part Income Related then you can no longer claim this because Universal Credit has replaced it. 
    If legacy contribution based ESA is in payment it can always be reassessed for income based ESA top ups. This doesn't require a new claim so it is not prevented by UC rules.
    I know that but in a comment shown below they said they haven't got any of their benefits back. Which was why i originally advised the UC claim.
    Waylaid said:

Aaaargh

• calcotti
    edited 31 May 2021 at 2:00PM
    Options
    poppy12345 said: I know that but in a comment shown below they said they haven't got any of their benefits back. Which was why i originally advised the UC claim. 
    I was going by this bit of your post
    As your ESA was part Income Related then you can no longer claim this

Just want to make sure OP understands options.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback