Partners and friends of the opposite sex

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    something else was niggling me, just realised

Is this current GF(b) not into your hobby?

You could have pre empted this ultimatum by arranging to all go out together either to do the hobby or just as friends.
    I think the OP has already tried this:
    Pay_me wrote: »
    I have tried to arrange things where all 4 of us can do something together but Girl B ..does not like Girl A even though they have not met and refuses to meet her.
    Girl B does not trust in friendships of the opposite sex and wants me to phase out my friendship with Girl A.
    My partner has a male mate... but that is different apparently!! I am at a loss, really am!!

So she doesn't trust friendships with the opposite sex but apparently it's perfectly OK for her to have a male friend.....
    Talk about double standards.

OP
    Can't you see how irrational and unfair your partner is being?
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the words of James Bay (the singer) "Get out while you still can"
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • gabriel1980
    Options
    Platonic relationships with the opposite sex don't exist. You may not have acted on it, but you want to get it on with this female friend.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Platonic relationships with the opposite sex don't exist. You may not have acted on it, but you want to get it on with this female friend.
    That simply isn't true. I have plenty of friends of the opposite sex that I have no intention of pursuing romantically.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    That simply isn't true. I have plenty of friends of the opposite sex that I have no intention of pursuing romantically.

Totally agree.

Although, the partner of my female friend (see previous post) has said that he thinks that men are only ever friends with women that they fancy.

And, if you do fancy them, so what. As long as you can control those feelings then it's not a problem. My female friend is aware of how I feel about her - it hasn't stopped us having a strong and close friendship over the last 25 years
  • heartbreak_star
    Options

What a load of rubbish!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »

Maybe the poster you've quoted means he can't simply be friends with someone of the opposite sex without wanting to get it on with them......

Of course it doesn't mean everyone is the same. ;)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think the OP has already tried this

OK, if they tried and got nowhere then came the ultimatum it would make the choice very easy.

The further problem is not just giving up A but by inference they have to give up the hobby as well.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    I still wanna know what the hobby iiiiisssss!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    The OP is saying :
    a) Girl A is just a friend, but
    b) I'm not willing to give her up to make Girl B happy
    The OP can't have it both ways. Whether Girl A is a potential romantic alternative or not, doesn't matter.

Perhaps Girl B would be OK with a Girl C, who did not pre-date the relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure