<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to post and run, but I will catch up later today. Can't find the fb Florentines post with the picture of the page. Can you help out, please? I think I have most ingredients in, but not sure whether it requires cream.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes You need cream. Nigella's recipe isn't available online but I'll try to find the FB post in case redo is busy. I'm in bed recovering from furniture moving/wrapping and preparing for cooking!
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 December 2017 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Florentines

150ml double cream
    25g butter
    90g sugar
    15g plain flour
    230g of filler - flaked almonds, whole almonds, candied peel, cherries - I usually use all flaked almonds

Chocolate to coat the base, I don't bother.

Melt the butter and sugar. Add the flour and stir it in to make a ball of paste. Off the heat, whisk in the cream to make a smooth sauce. Back on. A gentle heat to beat out any last lumps. Off the heat, stir in fruit and almonds.

Heaped teaspoons onto greased baking sheets. Remember they spread. 10-12 minutes at 190. Leave for a couple of minutes to firm up before moving to wire rack.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Dried cranberries...
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Yesterday we had pot roast beef, which meant the oven was on low for a while. I showed DS1 how to make mini meringues so we have a few of those left for sticking together with cream over the next few days.

Mini meringues

2 egg whites, 4oz white sugar. We whizzed the sugar in the little blender to make it finer but it isn't essential. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add the sugar a spoon full at a time while you continue to whisk. Take it back to fairly stiff peaks. Gently add teaspoons of the mix to a greaseproof papered tray. Small gaps are fine as they only spread a little. We got 24 mini meringues out of 2 eggs. Low oven (100/120 ideally) for an hour and then out to cool down if you like chewy centres. Crispier all the way through needs leaving to cool in the switched off oven.

You can dip these in melted chocolate, let them set and then sandwich together with whipped cream.

I also did dauphinois style potatoes. Peeled potatoes, into pound coin thickness slices. 8 minutes in boiling salted water, then drain and into buttered shallow oven proof dish. Season, grate on some cheese (stub of Parmesan for us) add leftover cream (half milk is ok) and then put it in the oven and forget about it for at least 40 minutes. Oven was low so I left mine for an hour. You can vary this with sliced onions, garlic, different cheeses and so on.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Dried cranberries...

Yep. I always want to try macadamias with white chocolate layer but never get round to it. Or pistachio.

Also want to do biscotti with him but not sure if I have enough/any whole nuts left other than cashews. Not paying co-op prices, and I refuse to go food shopping today.
  • Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas xxx
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish I could cook Redo. :o

Have a lovely christmas.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • greenbee
    Options
    If I get in the car now will there be anything left when I arrive? :)

We've cleared up enough to start cooking - red cabbage is in the slow cooker, cranberry sauce is being ignored by my mother (it should take 10 mins, but as she's reading the newspaper it's on low and will take about an hour). Next up is mince pies, then deciding what stuffings to make.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Yum. So much good food on here :)

Happy Christmas Redo :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family