• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You really do need to start a blog...
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Oh redo, sorry for laughing but it sounds so much like something I'd do.
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh Redo that was so funny, hope that you aren't too sore? :rotfl: x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I just took a stroll up the garden to tip the veg peelings in compost bin number 1, and noticed in passing that many raspberries are ripe. Must pick them before the birds eat them thinks I, and, noting the nettles I stroll back down the garden to fetch some gloves. Picking raspberries in gloves is challenging at best, but the nettles are rather nasty and I still have yesterdays scars.
    Anyway, carefully lifting the untied canes (whoops, another job missed) to collect the lovely red berries underneath, and adding them a handful at a time to the collecting bowl, carefully on the floor where I can't stand it. Strip the last plant, turn to see the dog filling her face with the collected berries, step back trip over my own feet and stab myself in the leg on a foot high hard dead shrub stump. Dog runs away in a flappy panic as I fall backwards into the nettles. Hear that tearing noise? That's a panicked cat running up the side of the polytunnel with fully extended claws. I picked myself up, gathered the last handful of raspberries and limped back down to the house, with blood trickling down my leg.
    Honestly it'd be safer and easier to go blindfolded over the road to the co-op and just buy some. The cat is now cleaning his bits right on top of the tunnel, having established that its a new sunny and safe place to sleep.

Are you auditioning for a new comedy show? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I second everything everyone has said about yesterday's escapades!! I may have snorted in a very unladylike manner! :rotfl: I can really picture it, especially the furry friends and their various reactions! Hope the few salvaged raspberries were tasty at least.
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm glad it amused so many people, it was funny once I had picked up the shreds of my tattered dignity. The big scratch is rather annoying as it means i can only wear sandals, not too much of an issue in this weather at least but they are not great for cleaning boy bedrooms.

Lots more done on DS1s room yesterday, still plenty more to do. He agreed that I could exit a few things which was good, and more stuff got put away so less out to gather dust. He was quite disturbed by the relatively clean smell and space last night, but not enough to actually do any more work on it himself. I'm going to crack on again shortly, its a dirty job but someone has to do it. Under his high sleeper today, need to drag the futon out and see how many times I can bang my head.

Cream living room curtains in the wash, might as well while the sun is shining even though they will be replaced shortly.

I'm taking part in a (free) 21 day style challenge and as part of it yesterday bought a muted vintage patterned linen mix spaghetti strap midi dress from the hospice shop. I don't like patterns much, dresses much and I hate midi length but I do like a challenge. I attacked it with scissors and made it into a just above the knee fit and flare sun dress that really suits my shape if I do say so myself. Really pleased with it, and its perfect for this weather. Hard work hand hemming it, but the flaring would have made machine sewing difficult.

I also spotted another kindle unlimited three month free trial (on the prime day page) which is great because mine expired last week.

Raw king prawns out defrosting, either a stir fry or a curry I think. We both have charming summer colds and something with some heat would help.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done on the up cycling of your dress. I wish I was talented enough to do that sort of thing.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DIA I can just about manage to hand sew a hem but making clothes from scratch is beyond me.

Yesterday I looked at DS room, got taken over by despair and with the rather splendid lyrics ' /and the room with all its clutter/like the black hole of Calcutta/' earworming nicely I focused on the room formerly occupied by SS.

It had already had the fabled 'twenty bags of rubbish' removed so it was shifting the last few bits and having a really good clean. There's a TV stand and some other bits ready to drop off at the hospice shop and then I think we will be able to add another chest of drawers which will be really useful. I thought about another bookcase but that is just an excuse to fill it with more dust gathering things. This is the room that the grown up house sitters will sleep in so its been great to really get it clean and clear. I'd forgotten how nice it is in there with the exposed stone - which you couldn't see for blasted clutter. I'm sure there is a clutter gene on OHs side. Cleaning the coffee cup rings off the window ledge took half the paint off so that has been scraped ready for a re-paint. The window itself was green, which is what happens when you never open the blinds or the windows, and leave the oil heater on full blast permanently!

There is now a list in the hall of things OHs practical abilities are required for . He does like a list, but is limited by time. My job is get things ready so that he just has to do the skilled bit, which is a good division of labour given my general clumsiness!

I noticed some nice 'botanical' cushions half price in the matalan sale and am tempted to get them for the spare room but will wait and go and look at them when I drop off the hospice shop pile. It is now an oasis of clean and emptiness. Have to confess to going and standing in it and feeling much better several times.

Everything aches today though - washing ceilings and doors and re-hanging curtains meant a lot of above head working. And I wrestled the cover on and off the spare room mattress. Really must learn to pace myself.

The (rarely used) living room looks and smells better for washing the window and door curtains. I'm not sure why I thought cream was a good idea but a good blast of biological washing liquid and super strength vanish has worked miracles.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You are doing great with house stuff :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like it's been all guns blazing! Progress sounds great though :) I'm generally very clumsy too... I've been known to fall over my own feet on a number of occassions and am currently sporting a scabbed knee from when I took a tumble in the woods. I dread to think what I'll be like when I get older!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure