Mrs S, family life and debt

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this your new job you will be staring? 3 days a week and finishing at 4.30 sounds perfect.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Is this your new job you will be staring? 3 days a week and finishing at 4.30 sounds perfect.

Yes, that's it. It does sound perfect! Eeeeek!! I'm so excited to start. :j
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Aldi gin is just as good as branded in my Step dads opinion and he's a brand snob on everything even down to toilet roll :rotfl:

:rotfl: Well, it has apparently won some awards or is highly recommended or something. Definitely worth a try!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Monday morning again! It's my last full week of maternity leave! I can't believe how fast it has gone. I'm aiming to get on top of the housework this week so that it's easier to deal with once I'm back at work.

I've woken up to a message from someone wanting to buy something else that I've posted on Facebook. I'll message her back once I get up. I should pull another bag down from the attic to sort through and sell really.

We're going to have a quiet day today, as the rest of the week is pretty full of activities. It's going to be a day for Lego, colouring, tv/film watching and not much else. Ds1 has asked if we can bake, so I may find a simple recipe to bake with him this afternoon.

I'm off to running club this evening (it's free!) so will make a bolognese for dinner. It means I can re heat once I get back, and I'm going to try ds2 with some blended Bolognese as well, and freeze and excess for him.

First job, though, is to check the bank accounts and ynab.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    I can vouch for the Aldi gin! I bought some after reading lots of people raving about it (£9.99 for 70cl) and its delicious! I'd normally go for Rock Rose, Isle of Harris or Brockmans at £20-35 a bottle but this is delightful as a day-to-day gin :) (Not that i drink gin every day!!)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • MrsSave
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    I can vouch for the Aldi gin! I bought some after reading lots of people raving about it (£9.99 for 70cl) and its delicious! I'd normally go for Rock Rose, Isle of Harris or Brockmans at £20-35 a bottle but this is delightful as a day-to-day gin :) (Not that i drink gin every day!!)

I'm definitely going to have to try this Aldi gin! :rotfl: It's nice to hear good reviews about it beforehand. I do like the more expensive gins as well. My favourite at the moment is from the same company that make Penderyn Whiskey. It's usually on offer at Tesco, but still in the £20 region. That'll be my Christmas gin!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I'm hiding in the kitchen!! Ds2 is asleep, and ds1 is in front of the tv (good mother alert here :rotfl: ). We've been playing lots of games, made biscuit batter (is that what it's called??) and that's currently chilling in the fridge, done some colouring, made a jigsaw and did a photo scavenger hunt (ds1 had to find certain things around the house and take photos of them on his camera!). I've made a bolognese ready to reheat for food tonight, re-organised my finance spreadsheet, cleaned the bathroom and downstairs loo and already cleaned the kitchen twice.

It's been pouring with rain all day here, but I'm still going to this running thing tonight. I'll probably end up like a drowned rat, but at least I'll be a little fitter :rotfl:

Whilst going through the spreadsheets, I decided to set savings goals. Someone on another diary mentioned taking her children to lapland and wanting to save for that. Lapland is somewhere I've dreamed of going for ever! (Long before I had children :rotfl: ). Once this money is in, so the loan has gone and we're only paying off the cc, I'm going to start our savings goals.

1. Redecorate living room (£300. Wallpaper one wall, paint the other 3. New cushions and curtains (finally).).

2. Lapland (£2000). Day trip only, and won't be for a few years. Possibly 3 years time, ds1 will be 7.5, ds2 will be 4.

3. Car fund (£5000). We don't currently need a new car, but it's getting on in age so will need one at some point. If we start a savings goal for this now, by the time we do need to change it, hopefully the money will be sitting there.

4. Kitchen fund (£10,000).

5. Bathroom/downstairs loo fund (£8,000).

6. Emergency fund (£12,000 - 6 months wages for both of us).

Wow, that's a lot of money. It's not in any particular order either. I'll keep trickling a little each month into the emergency fund. The living room is the first room to sort (and the cheapest one!). We'll have to decide between kitchen and bathroom first. The car and Lapland I want to keeping trickling a little money in. The amounts are estimates, but I'm hoping they're educated guesses!!

I'm just still on cloud 9 that we'll be at the point soon where we can work towards these savings goals.

I should really think about a mortgage overpayment as well. We've got around 20 years left on the mortgage, but would love to clear it before the eldest is 18 (14 years to go), so that if he decides to go to uni we'll have extra money each month to help out.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Drowned rat summed it up perfectly! I actually enjoyed the run, though. I will be fit one day!! I'm planning my next run for Wednesday morning before Dh heads off to work.

We finished making the biscuits. Well, half of them. There was too much batter (is biscuit mix called batter??) so I've frozen half of it to make again! The bolognese went down well, and I've frozen a few portions for ds2.

There is someone calling around tomorrow morning to buy a couple of Facebook bits. That will be £5 added to the holiday fund. Today has been a nsd :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    It's supposed to be a sunny day here today, so I'm taking the boys out. I'm going to use some of those Tesco vouchers I changed. It should then cost less than £1 for entry. I'm going to take a picnic along with us as well, to save a few pennies.

I need to do some laundry first thing, though, to make sure my running clothes are clean and dry by tomorrow morning. If I do carry on running 3 times a week, I think I'll have to invest in some more clothes. I used to have more, but may have thrown them. Will have to send Dh up the attic to check.

I've got someone calling by at 9 to buy Facebook things, so I should be £5 richer. I need to check ynab and the bank accounts his morning.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow they are good (and expensive) savings goals.

I've just done my kitchen - it's large and we had a wall knocked down, it was quite a big job. I spent £14k in the end. But I love it and it was desperately needed. All paid for with a combination of savings and 0% finance - should be paid off by June 2019! I'm hoping to pay a bit more off but as it's on 0% so it's not desperate.

Good luck with your saving!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport