PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how long you intend to stay in the new property. We intend to stay in the next house at least until our son flies nest (he's 6) so not really too worried about it.
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    goodwithsaving - not really. We bought our last house in 2008 just before the crash and it has only just returned to the value it was before. We won't be making any money on it to upsize, but we own more equity in it now and it has still been better than throwing money away on renting for 9 years. Once you're on the ladder, yes, your house may drop in value but then so does everyone else's and if you're staying or selling to buy another it's all relative. You only lose out if you're selling and not buying, but then you'd have been paying more in rent anyway and have nothing to show for it. At least interest rates are low at the moment, so if you can fix in for a few years then that offers some security at least.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • tt07
    tt07 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May I ask, is anybody anxious about buying at the moment? Just because of potential drops etc.
    After 18 weeks I finally exchanged on my sale. I haven't yet on my purchase though.
    Great house, location but just increasingly nervous about the market. Possibly because of the nightmare I've had buying it.
    (Crashy-I don't want to hear from you)

We are in the process of buying a new build and close or at least thought we were to exchange but a number of factors meant we have not but that's another story!

It's hard to call the market, you need somewhere to live, if the housing markets tanks it's an issue if you want to sell or remortgage, but if you can hang tight, don't need to sell then you don't crystallise the loss should there be one and sit it out, just keep paying the mortgage, if you can overpay at least that reduces the risk of a downturn in pricing to some degree.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the thoughts above. As long as you plan to stay in the house you are buying for at least 3-4 years and you are not buying with a very high LTV mortgage then you should be ok.
    Homeowners should be making the most of the low interest rates and overpaying their mortgages while they can in order to protect themselves from negative equity down the line.
    Now would be a bad time to buy a house if you can only just afford to.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    Thank you. I'm buying with a 70% LTV (really proud that I've done it myself hence don't want to mess it up) and from the outset I'll be overpaying by £150/month. I'm not due to remortgage until 2020 (porting). I think it's just last minute nerves. I've had to make a couple of compromises to get the location I wish to live in, which is fine, but I think because we're now on week 17 the actual difficulties in buying are starting to make me feel nervous (not the one I'm buying but the property at the top of the chain is taking the time). At least mine is now exchanged for sale though, it's a big relief.
    Thank you for your thoughts and supportive comments.
    Now to get us all to exchange...............!
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Time to join this thread :D I'm a FTB moving (fingers crossed) from a flat I've rented for 10 years to a 2 bed house with a bathtub and a yard. Can't wait to grow stuff and sit outside with a glass of wine in the summer, and soak in the tub (having only had a shower for 10 years). :rotfl:

My timeline so far:

06/9/17 - Met broker, handed over all docs and did factfind
    09/9/17 - view 4 house, really love number 3, sleep on decision
    10/9/17 - put in offer - accepted an hour later!
    11/9/17 - API sorted with Pepper
    11/9/17 - solicitor instructed -
    12/9/17 - full application put in
    30/9/17 - valuation done
    6/10/17 - Mortgage offer received for full amount :j:j:j:j:j
    10/10/17 - money on account given to sols to start searches etc

So now back to waiting - I may give my sols a call on Monday just to check in and see what they are thinking regarding timelines etc. Plus I don't want them to send anything in the post is as mine is awful and stuff goes astray - would much rather pop in and grab anything.

Would love to be in by the end of Nov - but by Christmas is the main aim.
  • Fiesto88
    Fiesto88 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One piece of advice I was given at the outset that I SORELY regret not following.

Tell NOBODY that you’re in the process of buying.

Every day at work now is a never-ending stream of: “How’s the house going?”, “Any news?”, “Has the solicitor rung yet?”. Having to repeat the story of what’s happening this week over and over again gets so draining.

I have everything crossed that this week it will end. We’re waiting for one document. Everything else is in order.
  • dancing_star
    Options
    Fiesto88 wrote: »
    One piece of advice I was given at the outset that I SORELY regret not following.

Tell NOBODY that you’re in the process of buying.

Every day at work now is a never-ending stream of: “How’s the house going?”, “Any news?”, “Has the solicitor rung yet?”. Having to repeat the story of what’s happening this week over and over again gets so draining.

I have everything crossed that this week it will end. We’re waiting for one document. Everything else is in order.

Oh how I agree with you Fiesto!

"Have you moved yet?"

"NO!!!"

Best wishes for you this week.
  • Fiesto88
    Fiesto88 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2017 at 6:42PM
    Options
    Oh how I agree with you Fiesto!

"Have you moved yet?"

"NO!!!"

Best wishes for you this week.

Thank you.

I’ll definitely be doing things very differently if i’m ever in this position again. It’s things that you don’t even consider at the time that you really wish you’d done - like, why didn’t we photograph every room from every angle? At the time, neither of us had any concerns. But three months down the line, I look at the pictures on the Rightmove listing and can’t actually remember which bedroom is which (it’s a vacant purchase so there aren’t any details to jog my memory). None of them are rectangular and the rubbish floorplans on both this listing and a historic one don’t give any clues. It doesn’t really make a difference, but one of the listings has mirror-flipped the first floor floorplan - I can’t remember which is the correct way and none of the pictures reveal the true layout either!

I’m trying to visualise furniture in the living room - took measurements but didn’t think to note where the radiators and plug sockets are - and, typical, the pictures are taken from just such an angle that I can’t work out how far along the walls the radiators are!

If it was a traditional EA I’d get them to let me back in, but it’s an online one and the agent who has the keys is fiendishly difficult to get hold of - it took them nearly three weeks just to let the surveyors in!

It’s silly really because I know I’ve seen it twice and nothing was a glaring problem - but the more time goes on, the more I imagine problems that don’t exist.
  • Ougat
    Ougat Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2017 at 6:19PM
    Options
    We are FTB and luckily our vendor already have her new house all set up and the property is basically vacant and ready. We think she is more in a hurry about this than us. Everything I now know about the whole process I read on MSE and since we started thinking about buying I have been reading MSE like there is n tomorrow.

Our timeline is

DIP with broker `16/09/2017
    Pay initial deposit to retain solicitors 16/09/2017 **
    Saw house 21/09/2017
    Second viewing and offer made and accepted 23/09/2017
    Memorandom of sale to all parties 25/09/2017
    Mortgage interview 26/09/2017 with broker.
    Mortgage approved Nationwide 26/09/2017
    Mortgage valuation survey 10/10 2017
    Survey and Home Buers report positive 10/10/2017
    Morgage offer on house offered 10/10/2017
    Welcome pack from solicitors 10/10/2017
    Solicotors/Conveyancing pack received 10/10/2017
    All paperwork and copies completed & send for conveyancing 12/10/2017
    Recieve Fixture and Fittings from Vendor 13/10/2017
    Receive Mortgge confirmation and Morgage deed to sign 13/10/2017
    Send off signed/witnessed posted Mortgage deed to solicitors .16/10/2017
    Paid funds to cover 6 searches by conveyance 16/10/2017
    4 Searches came back all good 17/10/2017
    Coal mining report requested by Lender 17/10/2017
    Seller had boiler/electricity/gas and heating serviced and certificated 17/10/217

So it has been one month since we started in all earnest. So far it feels like everything is moving at a pace we like although there was a slight hiccup with the solicitors already not sending us the welcome pack when we first made contact with them. **

There are also 2 things on the fixture and fittings list that need clearing up but nothing major. The home buyers report also highlighted few things like certificates for the heating electricity and gas. The Vendor is getting all this serviced the 17th Oct and will take the details to her solicitor the same day. We done a Radon and Flooding check ourselves before we did the second viewing so hopefully the conveyance team will accept that as been done.

I suppose the real wait starts now as there is nothing more we need to do...

In an ideal world we would love to exchange and complete before end November. As it is I already spoke to our landlord (private rent) and confirmed that we will extend our contract with her by one month which takes us to end December. We will just suck it up that we might pay a month's rent and the mortgage but that will give us ample time if all goes horribly wrong.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback