PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Ougat
    Ougat Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am glued to this thread to see what other people are doing and not doing. I really wanted to post in the "Waiting for a mortgage" one but by the time I wanted to post we already knew we had the mortgage offer so it all felt a bit wrong and I di not want to even say it out loud that we are applying for one.. This whole journey so far seems easy on paper but it is all rather stressful..
    Good luck to everyone hoping to get one step closer to get the keys for their homes this week..
  • howisthisriskfree
    Options
    Getting quite stressed about things now, so I have some questions to ask.
    How often should I chase my solicitors? My buyers buyer pulled out but they got new ones and according to estate agent that was one month ago, tomorrow.
    I chased last week to be told that the searches from this new buyer were still ongoing.
    I am realistic enough to know that these searches can take time and there is little I can do.

Another question, if the searches are being done now how far is this down the line? Does that come after mortgage offers, enquiries, etc?
  • tt07
    tt07 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fiesto88 wrote: »
    One piece of advice I was given at the outset that I SORELY regret not following.

Tell NOBODY that you’re in the process of buying.

Every day at work now is a never-ending stream of: “How’s the house going?”, “Any news?”, “Has the solicitor rung yet?”. Having to repeat the story of what’s happening this week over and over again gets so draining.

We do this we are three months in and very few people know or indeed have shared in the ups and downs. We wait until it's exchanged, then happy to share.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Taken from someone I know when she finally exchanged...

Signed, sealed, almost delivered :)

Congratulations to anyone else that's exchanged and good luck to everyone else hoping to exchange soon xxx

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Fiesto88 wrote: »
    One piece of advice I was given at the outset that I SORELY regret not following.

Tell NOBODY that you’re in the process of buying.

Every day at work now is a never-ending stream of: “How’s the house going?”, “Any news?”, “Has the solicitor rung yet?”. Having to repeat the story of what’s happening this week over and over again gets so draining.

I have everything crossed that this week it will end. We’re waiting for one document. Everything else is in order.

So agree! I really should have done this! I stupidly told people before we'd even decluttered the house to sell it so we've had this for ages! :rotfl:

Join the MSE Forum
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This process is such a rollercoaster of emotions! Last week we were devastated as we lost the top of our chain and it all looked like it was falling apart, this morning I've had a call to say our seller is going into rented and wants to proceed with the sale as quickly as possible.

EA suggested that we might be able to complete before Christmas but I don't think there is any chance of that! We only have 3 properties in the chain and our buyer and their buyer have already had their survey done, but not getting my hopes up!
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How often should I chase my solicitors? My buyers buyer pulled out but they got new ones and according to estate agent that was one month ago, tomorrow.
    I chased last week to be told that the searches from this new buyer were still ongoing.
    I am realistic enough to know that these searches can take time and there is little I can do.
    It depends if your solicitor is the type that needs chasing to make sure they're doing something. I would say that contact by phone/email at least once a week is fine, but any more than that might be considered excessive.
    Another question, if the searches are being done now how far is this down the line? Does that come after mortgage offers, enquiries, etc?
    Again it depends. Applying for searches should be very near the beginning of the process. Some buyers will ask that their solicitor holds off on applying for searches until the mortgage offer is received, if they are worried they may not get approved for a mortgage. Others will instruct their solicitor to get on with searches immediately.

The solicitor may ask some enquiries before the search results are in, and then probably ask additional enquiries once the searches are back.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Told last week we should be able to exchange either today or tomorrow. I'm not expecting either but that hasn't stopped my staring at my phone!
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oooh lots of updates over the weekend!
    Nice to see everyone is progressing, some more slowly but surely, but it's all good.
    I didn't get my Friday close of play update from my EA so I'll be ringing them shortly. Still hoping that now everything is tied up we can move to exchange this week and completion next week, we are pushing hard for a half term move but really it's down to our buyers (our vendors' property is empty). Fingers crossed!
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    Told last week we should be able to exchange either today or tomorrow. I'm not expecting either but that hasn't stopped my staring at my phone!

That was me completely last week. I'm not generally the type of person that's constantly looking at their phone but last week I felt like it was permanently attached to my hand!

Join the MSE Forum
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing