PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• saucer
    saucer Posts: 428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2023 at 11:36AM
    Options
    We’re selling a 2 bed flat with share of freehold. FTB offered asking price mid May. No apparent issues with survey, at least as far as we have been told and that was ages ago. There was some delay with managing agents providing information to solicitors but everything appeared fine in terms on enquiries. However we cannot get a target exchange date. We’re pressing our side to press theirs but I wonder if the slowness is our solicitor. All the time passing I am concerned buyer will pull out because of the gloomy interest rate and house price news. This process is so stressful.  Any suggestions?
  • lis1320
    lis1320 Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    saucer said:
    lis1320 said:
    We've exchanged!

Updated timeline:
    26th June - offer accepted
    30th June - memorandum of sale issued
    4th July - draft contracts received and initial enquires raised
    7th July - searches received from developer, all in date
    20th July - mortgage offer received, searches report received from solicitor 
    21st July - received report on title and documents for signature
    26th July - signed documents returned to solicitor 
    27th July - transferred deposit funds
    28th July - exchange of contracts 

That is nuts quick!  What happened to the survey? 
    Yes, we saved masses of time because the developer (who was going to buy the house if the sellers hadn’t found a buyer) had the searches done already. 

We decided to delay the survey until we move in later in the year. We were on a deadline to exchange (pushed by the developer) and due to some contract issues, we didn’t want to instruct a survey too early in case everything fell through. In the end, the contract was amended and everything happened to quickly, the survey report would have arrived after exchange. Since we’d essentially have to buy the property anyway by then, we decided to wait to have it done after the current owners move out. 
  • saucer
    edited 13 August 2023 at 3:30PM
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread because it was helpful to me at least. 
    I am lead to believe we are going to agree dates early next week. Fingers crossed. Estate agent tells me that the market is completely dead, if that can be believed. 
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:
    Thought I’d join this thread for some venting haha. 

17th February - Offer accepted on our sale. 
    18th February - Solicitor instructed
    24th February - Documents completed and sent back to solicitor. 
    14th March to 6th April - Sporadically received enquiries from buyers solicitors and replied same day. 
    6th April - Buyers solicitor requested something additional from the council. 
    12th May - Up to date redemption figures received by our solicitor and everything ready to go. 
    17th May - Discovered our buyers buyers (FTBs) are having to query something with their lender which has had to go back to the valuer.

This is where we are currently. We’ve been waiting 3 weeks now and have had no movement whatsoever.  Emailed our solicitor today and received an autoreply to say our solicitor is now on leave til 19th June! Really hoping one of the other solicitors in the firm can try and push things along as it’s already been 15 weeks since offer accepted, don’t want to be waiting til the end of the month for completion. 
    We are still waiting. 19 weeks now 🙄

Our side is all done, as far as I’m aware, our buyers side of our sale is all ready, and all we are waiting for is the resolution to one query to do with the house our buyers are selling which involves a piece of land. 

Spoke to our estate agent and there’s some progress been made today thanks to the estate agent getting involved and doing some of the leg work that solicitors should have been doing, but we’ve now given the chain a deadline of 14th July to agree a completion date otherwise we will put the house back on the market. 

Our estate agent couldn’t guarantee things would move any further in that timeframe but she agreed the deadline was fair. 
    We found out on 4th August that our buyers decided to withdraw their house from the market which meant they were unable to continue with their purchase of our house. We relisted the same day and had 4 viewings yesterday but we are now contemplating putting the house back in the rental market instead. 

Did find out that one of the four that viewed our house yesterday has only just put their own house on the market last week so why the EA allowed them to book a viewing is somewhat puzzling but will see what feedback, if any, we get tomorrow. 
  • saucer
    edited 13 August 2023 at 3:43PM
    Options

gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:

14th March to 6th April - Sporadically received enquiries from buyers solicitors and replied same day. 
    12th May - Up to date redemption figures received by our solicitor and everything ready to go. 
    17th May - Discovered our buyers buyers (FTBs) are having to query something with their lender which has had to go back to the valuer.

This is where we are currently. We’ve been waiting 3 weeks now and have had no movement whatsoever.  Emailed our solicitor today and received an autoreply to say our solicitor is now on leave til 19th June! Really hoping one of the other solicitors in the firm can try and push things along as it’s already been 15 weeks since offer accepted, don’t want to be waiting til the end of the month for completion. 

Our side is all done, as far as I’m aware, our buyers side of our sale is all ready, and all we are waiting for is the resolution to one query to do with the house our buyers are selling which involves a piece of land. 

Spoke to our estate agent and there’s some progress been made today thanks to the estate agent getting involved and doing some of the leg work that solicitors should have been doing, but we’ve now given the chain a deadline of 14th July to agree a completion date otherwise we will put the house back on the market. 

Our estate agent couldn’t guarantee things would move any further in that timeframe but she agreed the deadline was fair. 
    We found out on 4th August that our buyers decided to withdraw their house from the market which meant they were unable to continue with their purchase of our house. We relisted the same day and had 4 viewings yesterday but we are now contemplating putting the house back in the rental market instead. 

Did find out that one of the four that viewed our house yesterday has only just put their own house on the market last week so why the EA allowed them to book a viewing is somewhat puzzling but will see what feedback, if any, we get tomorrow. 
    That is all really frustrating. If our sale was to fall through we’d probably have to go back to letting but I really don’t want that hassle back. I am so over it
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    saucer said:
    gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:

gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:
    gazfocus said:

That is all really frustrating. If our sale was to fall through we’d probably have to go back to letting but I really don’t want that hassle back. I am so over it
    To be honest, it’s not my first choice. We were in the process of buying a renovation project with the cash from sale so would have to bail on that if we put the house back up for rent, but there’s only so long I can sit with an empty house. 
  • Wren14
    Wren14 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Tentatively joining this thread.

We initially sold our house and in the process of buying another when our seller pulled out about three weeks before we were due to exchange. After looking for another house to purchase for a month we decided to stay where we were and lick our wounds.

Fast forward two years and again we are in the process of buying and selling!

Offer accepted on ours in June and had an offer accepted on a new property two days later. Everything seems to be going well, yesterday we received a huge amount of info on the purchase (property forms, land registry documents etc). Everything signed and witnessed and ready to drop off to the conveyancer today.

Starting to feel like it might actually happen this time but also scared incase something goes wrong like last time!
  • fiish
    fiish Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Completed on 4 August as planned, got distracted with the moving, decorating, and repairs and forgot to circle back here :blush:

Summary of times for process steps:
    Mortgage application to offer - 16 days (Coventry BS)
    Searches - 21 days
    L3 survey turnaround - 3 days
    Offer accepted to exchange - 69 days ~ 9 weeks 6 days
    Offer accepted to completion - 92 days ~ 13 weeks 1 day

FInal timeline:

5th May - offer accepted
    9th May - instructed solicitors, obtained mortgage recommendations from broker
    10th May - sellers had offer accepted on onward purchase
    15th May - mortgage application submitted
    24th May - instructed searches
    31st May - mortgage offer received
    8th June - Level 3 survey appointment
    11th June - L3 survey report, more enquiries through solicitors
    13th June - searches back, more enquiries by solicitors
    26th June - final report, replies to enquiries, and documents to sign from solicitors
    5th July - returned signed paperwork to solicitors
    13th July - paid deposit, contracts exchanged
    4th August - completion
  • Wren14
    Wren14 Posts: 60 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2023 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Congratulations Fiish! Your timeline makes me think I might be close to exchange 🤞
  • CleverFable
    Options
    I would also like to join...we are 10 months in (due to various issues, losing buyers, section 20s - see my other threads :D) and we are so close now I can't believe the end is finally in sight!

The chain has agreed on a completion date, contracts are signed and I believe exchange will be on Monday when one of the solicitors is back from their holiday so fingers crossed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback