PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course they can, you're paying them, you instruct them. Or just ask the EA. I asked my EA today to ask my vendor to phone and get the NHBC certificate because the solicitors were taking too long. Job done.
    Yeah, these things are never simple. We should have been done in 6 weeks but lost our first buyers 5 weeks in and we're now on round 2, hoping to complete this week or at least very early next. It's not really taken that long, about 3 months so far, but man it feels like forever so I sympathise!
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • Cardinal-Red
    Options
    The metaphorical pens are hovering over the imaginary contracts for us right now, just waiting to exchange.

But then.... our solicitor ends up being off sick yesterday! Obviously none of my business about when she returns but is there any reason why we shouldn't expect the file to be picked up relatively easily by one of her colleagues if her sickness continues?

Just want to give the branch a call today to go through things and don't want to ask for something that actually makes it worse!
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • Natbag
    Options
    Give. Me. Stength.
    So the NHBC certificate has landed this morning, hurrah, we're all good to exchange, she thinks!
    Nope.
    Now my solicitor is saying my buyer's mortgage offer still hasn't come through.
    WTAF?
    It flipping has. He said last week it had, my EA said it had, the buyers say it has - they even now have a written copy that arrived by post.
    Literally just going round in circles now.
    :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
  • Upsy_Staffordshire
    Options
    Oh my goodness Natbag - it never ends does it!

I've called our solicitor and he still hasn't received confirmation from our buyer's solicitor that our buyer has agreed to our requested completion date. The EA told me the buyer sent the email on Friday, so both our solicitor and our EA are going to chase them for the confirmation.

We need the confirmation of an agreed completion date so our solicitor can request a redemption statement from our lender and then we need to agree to the statement figure before we can exchange contracts. Time is ticking so it would be nice if our buyer's solicitor could please just tell our solicitor the date has been agreed so we can move forward!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
  • Natbag
    Options
    It seriously doesn't. Think we can wave goodbye to any chance of completing this week :(
    Hope you can make more progress today!
  • vixki
    vixki Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    We're in kinda the same situation as you, Upsy, just waiting on the seller to confirm a completion date. They are notoriously slow despite the house we're buying being empty so I'm sure it'll take ages.
  • 22cuddles
    Options
    Just tallied up how long this selling malarkey has been going on for now -17 weeks tomorrow ☹️

Offer received 28th June, survey and searches all completed quite quickly. Waited ages for the management company to respond to queries and now we’re waiting on approval of the buyers’ mortgage offer. As it’s leasehold but no chain - I thought it would be relatively straight forward!
  • Natbag
    Options
    vixki - it seems that notoriously slow is the only pace known in the world of buying/selling property!
    22cuddles, it's rubbish isn't it? Week 14 I think for us, although only 6 with these latest buyers.

So the NHCE certificate is in, the buyers' mortgage offer is in, the buyers have booked to see their solicitor this afternoon to sign. Can I get hold of my solicitor to arrange the same? Nope. :wall:
  • vixki
    vixki Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Natbag - it's infuriating isn't it! At first I thought I was just being impatient but as the months dragged by...

Plus the fact that nobody does anything unless you chase chase chase. We can wait weeks for the solicitor to update us and as soon as we chase him he does what he was meant to do...do they just not bother doing anything until they're forced to?

Our mortgage brokers have actually been doing a lot of the chasing which is odd because we really didn't pay them much (ftb discount) but without them I don't think we'd have even got this far. They know everyone in this city and seem to be very good at stomping their feet and getting things done.
  • Upsy_Staffordshire
    Options
    Vixki - it seems to take ages doesn't it! We requested our completion date a week ago yesterday and the buyer is happy with it and has agreed to it but his solicitor's are taking forever to tell my solicitor.

Natbag - thank you, but it's not looking likely at the moment!

So I called our EA this morning and our buyer is going to chase his solicitor to send the email. EA seemed to think it would all be sorted within the hour. This was about 4 hours ago and not heard anything, so I presume they STILL haven't sent the email.

All we're waiting for is the email saying our buyer agrees to our completion date, so things can move forward.
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback