BBC Top Story. Diesel & Petrol cars banned from 2040

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    n217970 wrote: »
    The reason people are not all piling into petrol stations on the way home is because the car has a 500 mile range. When its only 100 then people will view it differently, you do you comute and have 50 miles left "oh I will top it up" - if you only had 50 miles of fuel in your car you would head to the fuel station no?

My can only has a range of about 300 miles. You can just about get that out of an electric car now, which is double what they did 5 years ago.

Given this petrol/diesel ban is still 23 years away, I'd be willing to bet that electric vehicles will have a range closer to 1000 miles by the time you can't buy a new petrol one, and probably 2000 miles by the time you can't buy petrol (mid 2050's).

Even without banning petrol/diesel car sales in 2040, the car environment will look very different by then. Electric cars are almost a no-brainer when buying new cars now, and don't really exist on the used market in any real volumes.

Once used Outlander PHEVs hit £10k I'll be ripping the dealers arm off for one.
    Then a few years later, when I can get a Tesla-X for £10k I'll switching.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    By all means, introduce incentives for people to buy electric cars. And spend money on infrastructure to support that, so that electric cars are a genuine alternative to petrol/diesel. But outright banning products from being sold is ridiculous. Whatever happened to us living in a free market? If manufacturers want to make petrol cars and consumers want to buy them then since when is it the governments duty to tell us whether we can do that?

I will never buy an electric car. Not now, not in 23 years time.
  • maximania
    maximania Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    You cannot be serious - 8GW - ie) 8,0000,0000,000 watts - for 37 million vehicles (at the moment) only allows 216 watts per vehicle - when an electric car currently consumes approx 12kW in 24 hours

You cant use the number of cars in that calculation. Half of them sit in the drive all week doing nothing. Or are second or even third cars.

300billion miles per year is for cars only..it doesn't include vans minibusses lorries busses coaches motorbikes etc as these are not (so far) going to be banned and so are not included in the calculations. Your 37 million vehicles include many of these types of vehical.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Without the labour costs.

Though there will be the cost of the battery replacement to factor in.

I also dissagree with the labour issue. Whilst computers are really beneficial to automation problems will always arise where you have the need for thought outside of what the computer knows.

That is one of the reasons we still have pilots on planes, the auto pilot is perfectly able to complete the whole journey by itself. But there will be times that the computer will either fail, or be faced with a set of data that it just cannot deal with. This is where you need human input to be able to make judgement calls and regain control of the situation.

Whilst its good for films and media clickbait, driverless cars are never going to become a reality imo.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with you re: the hype. If driverless cars really are just around the corner, then I would expect there to be driverless road sweepers already (much slower, simpler and less disastrous outcomes) - and there aren't.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    My home charger is 7kW! Anyway, not everyone has to charge every day, just the same as everyone doesn't turn up at the petrol station at exactly the same time. Grid MANAGEMENT will have to get better, especially in relation to local management, but total peak capacity won't be affected greatly. 23 years is a long time. Get back to me when we're having brownouts.

You're dribbling on your Daily Mail, and the above is simply rubbish.

Yes thats why I used 3.7kw as conservative number - you want daily mail sensationalism lets bang 7kw into the equation. - oh we now need 100GW extra power. The grid only does around 60GW now in total. These figures may look high and worse case but we are going to need at least an additional 25-30GW of capacity for normal demand. I must remember to dig this thread up in 2041 - if I don't its because we have run out of electricity.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    I agree with you re: the hype. If driverless cars really are just around the corner, then I would expect there to be driverless road sweepers already (much slower, simpler and less disastrous outcomes) - and there aren't.

Yeah, dont get me wrong. I would love to be able to enter a destination into my own car then have a nap. Just dont think it will happen.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    There are driverless tractors used for farming. They're slow, straightforward and precise.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 July 2017 at 2:12PM
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    There are driverless tractors used for farming. They're slow, straightforward and precise.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

You wait so long for a driverless tractor, and then two come along at once...

e4de48515bdf9e31879b39b517de6cac.jpg

driverless_tractor.jpg
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 3:12PM
    Options
    maximania wrote: »
    You cant use the number of cars in that calculation. Half of them sit in the drive all week doing nothing. Or are second or even third cars.

300billion miles per year is for cars only..it doesn't include vans minibusses lorries busses coaches motorbikes etc as these are not (so far) going to be banned and so are not included in the calculations. Your 37 million vehicles include many of these types of vehical.
    So who decides whether people are allowed to drive ?
    Perhaps surnames A-L on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
    M-Z on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
    Nobody on Sundays ?
    You have to allow for a worst case scenario of 37Million vehicles (probably considerably more in 23 years time)
    23 years ago - there were just 25 million vehicles on UK roads (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20050303003821/http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_control/documents/contentservertemplate/dft_index.hcst?n=8503&l=3)
    So - perhaps 50 million in another 23 years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport