BBC Top Story. Diesel & Petrol cars banned from 2040

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I mean. If electric cars become commonplace and take over then fine. But there will always be a place for that niche audience who wants the feel of an engine. Completely banning petrol is just unfair. :(

We've already got trickery to make a V6 sound like a V8, so I don't doubt you'll be able to get an electric sports car that sounds and behaves like a petrol one did, albeit significantly faster.

Alternatively, there will still be a big used market for petrol powered sports cars whilst petrol is still available.

If everyone else goes electric, then the petrol will last longer :)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    We've already got trickery to make a V6 sound like a V8, so I don't doubt you'll be able to get an electric sports car that sounds and behaves like a petrol one did, albeit significantly faster.

Alternatively, there will still be a big used market for petrol powered sports cars whilst petrol is still available.

If everyone else goes electric, then the petrol will last longer :)

The oil will last longer, but will it be commercially viable to transport, refine and distribute it for the odd enthusiast? I suspect not.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're talking absolute tosh.

I think he's right. Everywhere you go people are playing a subtle game of chicken, negotiating with eye contact to decide who's going to give way to who, but a driverless car won't do that. Instead it will instantly defer to any and every hazard, and people will soon get fed up of riding in a car that's making a monkey of them, and turning them into a doormat to be taken advantage of.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I think he's right. Everywhere you go people are playing a subtle game of chicken, negotiating with eye contact to decide who's going to give way to who, but a driverless car won't do that. Instead it will instantly defer to any and every hazard, and people will soon get fed up of riding in a car that's making a monkey of them, and turning them into a doormat to be taken advantage of.

But who will care - their personal involvement is no longer there and the psychology is completely different (more akin to someone tutting at their chauffeur).
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maximania wrote: »
    You didn't read it all...

I did and the final summary is just a guess that when you take into account every other activity connected with gasoline production, you might approach 6kw. But even this guess is not comparing like with like as it ignores all the activities associated with battery production, charging and infrastructure required for EV.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The oil will last longer, but will it be commercially viable to transport, refine and distribute it for the odd enthusiast? I suspect not.

Petrol is only 1 of many by-products of crude oil. Unless the need for all the other products disappeared also, its still going to be a big money business.

And its been a while since I learned it all, but I'm sure with crude oil, various products come off at various stages, its not possible to take the crude oil that would have been petrol and make it into aviation fuel for example.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Government planning what to do 20 years in the future. :rotfl:
    In fact government planning. :rotfl:
    "Good news everybody" :eek:
    It's another half thought out plan, fed to the politicians by various axe grinding advisers.
    If normal government planning is anything to go by it'll be 20 years of talking about it but doing nothing, followed by ten years of grief for the rest of us.

But never mind by then we'll have flying anti-gravity cars, electricity will be too cheap to meter, and you'll be able to buy a house on Mars.

And don't think they'll be cheaper to run that ICE vehicles. All the tax and profits on will just go on the electric vehicles. I suspect that they'll have an inbuilt "smart meter" or similar to decide how much fuel tax you'll have to pay.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    And its been a while since I learned it all, but I'm sure with crude oil, various products come off at various stages, its not possible to take the crude oil that would have been petrol and make it into aviation fuel for example.
    It absolutely is. Oil is refined into different products by fractional distillation.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is not being faced by the electric vehicle industry and its proponents, is the actual materials used in Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) batteries. Nickel and Hydrides are understood, but hiding behind the "Metal" part, is a host of rare and therfore expensive and probably eventually unobtainable, intermetallic compounds: -

Metals - aluminium, gallium, indium, thallium, tin and lead.
    Metalloids: silicon, germanium, arsenic, antimony and tellurium.

Many of these are also used in the electronic, smartphone and computer devices industries. WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) recycling takes some of these back into industry, but take-up is failing to deliver and much is still ending up in landfill. What happens after some of these materials become unobtainable?

I would love to give up my ICE transport and see a future of electric cars which can take us wherever we want to go in calm silence for miles between charges, but I do not think I will live long enough to see it. I am certain that pollution will be reduced when it happens, and that is my hope for my grandchildren. What I do foresee, is the oil industry and the vehicle producers, in opposition to progress for as long as possible.

To meet the expected energy demands, I believe that the world must concentrate upon nuclear FUSION research. No amount of Renewables, is going to meet our needs.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The whole point of this announcement is the government don't want to do anything about road pollution today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure