Dancing through the rain with a smile and good cheer

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good to hear from you again BM. Glad to read all is well. I can highly recommend Cotswold Company for very well made furniture at very reasonable prices, all fully assembled. I always get my furniture from them.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hurrah. Great to hear from you 😍
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great to have you back posting Bubblesmum!  I'm not surprised you've been away so long though with all what you've got going on with your house!  Still it will all be worthwhile when it's done!
    Lovely to have a period house - I live in a 1980s square block of flats - not quite the same!🤣
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Good to have you posting again. Your house sounds lovely even if there will always be work required due to its age. I am house hunting and will be looking for an old house again :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2020 at 12:14PM
    Options
    I love period properties. My house is early edwardian and I would hate to live in a new house. There can be maintenance issues that need dealing with in older homes but it's worth it for the extra space. 

I'm glad you're in a position to get your roof done, having a watertight roof is so vital as water ingress causes so much other damage and you can't feel really secure without a good roof over your head :).

New/ish bedroom furniture will be good to have and a comfortable bed is very important to get a good night's sleep. Larger charity shops can be good for second hand furniture and they usually deliver. I've got two small solid pine bookcases for about £20 each from charity shops in the past.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning my lovely friends and diary

i promised the lovely @beanielou an update and I really want to get back posting so hear goes.....

1. Home 
    I’m propped up in bed in the “spare room” which is nice and cosy, and now with a lovely new roof on the whole of the bungalow the scaffolding is down, builders still about doing garage roof and hopefully a new porch. As we now realise how much heat we are loosing from the front door to the small one skinned porch... it will depend on cost and as my husband read this morning stories about supplies from Felixstowe .... our builders have had difficulty getting stuff. However the hold up might be boss man.... p who is currently in hospital with a UTI ! 

2. Debt - Credit Card
    The one big plus point for us this year is that we have stopped so many activities that we have thrown everything at our debt and have reduced it substantially. We now have 6 categories left on the spreadsheet..... 1. car and house insurance which we pay off monthly. 2. Holidays - now with one major - our trip to the coast at New Year, and some small deposits for next year. 3. Mr B Clothes, 4. Mrs B Clothes 5. Mrs B pocket money and 6. The no idea historic pot. This comes to about 5k and I can say we have reduced the balance at the start of lockdown by at least 2/3rds. We are really thinking about what we are spending and everything is being paid off monthly and not accumulating like Christmas presents. 

If I have not said before this is all itemised on a spreadsheet and colour coded. So it’s been hard to realise how much Mrs B pocket money overspend I have made during the year, it’s not frivolous but it adds up and I have put myself on a fasting diet again to pay everything off. 

I get paid my pocket money on a Friday and I have been paying something off the spreadsheet every week, then I have started to round down the balance to zero and sending the pennies to savings - building that balance up for holiday spends ( £15 in the kitty! )

Work has picked up abit and I’m using that to payoff college costs like books and some clothes shopping...

so all in all we are heading in the right direct, I am aiming for a clear credit card by Easter 2021. We will see. 

3. Retraining studies
    More on this in a later post... I have an assignment deadline on Friday tackling a difficult subject and I’m struggling as all of us are and a menopausal body. I have though got a placement and will begin next week 

4. Health - not as great as it could be, especially fitness levels and menopausal symptoms - again post more soon. 

5. Cats - they continue to be a joy and make our lives the better for living with us. 

Need to get up and get going.....promise to post more regularly.
    Take Care BM 
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • Bubblesmum
    Options
    PS thanks all for your lovely posts .... I loveeeeeee receiving them. 
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Yippee. Yippee. Yippee. 
    I love how your diary is so focused. 
    Mine is just all over the place. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Bubblesmum
    Options
    beanielou said:
    Yippee. Yippee. Yippee. 
    I love how your diary is so focused. 
    Mine is just all over the place. 
    We are all unique @beanielou ..... I love your diary for the honesty, and your  tenacity when things are really really hard  xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Fake it, to you Make It

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback