PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Squiggly Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous, and you blooming well deserve it after so much hassle! x

thoughts are with you burtha x
  • wondercollie
    Options
    Well, winter has started. It's been slashing down sleet since Thursday. Luckily nothing has stuck. It's just miserable.

To top it off, the hubby has just returned from his yearly trip home to his mother's. He's redecorated her kitchen! He won't even paint a wall here but if I suggest getting a painting crew in to do it he pitches a fit.

He has two brothers that still live at home and they do nothing. My husband rocks up once a year and is given a chores list!

Rant over.

Slow cooker is out and doing a pot roast. It smells nice if I say so myself.

Yesterday, WonderCollie didn't know what to do with himself. He had three small children in the house. He was dancing and prancing around the living room. He got fed snacks, stole snacks from the children and just was the happiest dog in the province. New family on the street and husband had helped them with a small problem since they moved in. They came with their Dad and a homemade banana bread. They went home covered in dog fluff and kisses and a family sized bag of dolly mixture.

They weren't getting my Jelly Babies!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    A girl hasta hang onto her Jellybabies against all comers WC!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aw wondercollie! What a lovely visit! Sounds as if your new neighbours are going to be an asset. Glad wondercollie (the canine one) had such a great time. Sorry about the weather though! And that DH did his mother's kitchen won't paint at home. Our DS is similar, sometimes goes to help out friends with that sort of thing but then avoids doing it here.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 September 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    I have to say my son who died was just the opposite, if there was anything he came over and sorted it. If he was coming on a planned visit, he would email me and ask for a list of things that needed doing to make sure he brought the right tools with him.

Its 3 years at Christmas since he died, we miss him so much regardless of the 'little jobs' he did for us.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :( csarina - so sad. My BiL died 9 years ago and i know the effect it has on his mum - not forgetting his wife and children. He took his own life - and his (now) 16 year old daughter has decided not to do psychology A level because of some of the content. A repercussion we hadn't thought about. Hugs to you, it's still early days...

Hi all - I'm supposed to be working. A deadline is looming - hoping typing here will get me going again.

wondercollie, I don't know how you cope with the weather... i;m dreading winter here.

burtha - hugs
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • silver-oldie
    Options
    Our DS and DiL help others but not us.
    I know they are busy but it would be nice to have a phone call when the weather is bad, or we don't feel too good, just to ask if we are OK.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Aw wondercollie! What a lovely visit! Sounds as if your new neighbours are going to be an asset. Glad wondercollie (the canine one) had such a great time. Sorry about the weather though! And that DH did his mother's kitchen won't paint at home. Our DS is similar, sometimes goes to help out friends with that sort of thing but then avoids doing it here.
    My Ex was like that.... If I needed something done (I only ever asked if I couldn't manage it myself) the reply was "I will do" which actually translated as "I'll say yes to shut you up, but I've actually no intention of ever doing it". But if his mother phoned wanting something done, he was out the front door before the phone had even settled back on the hook!
    Best day's work I ever did, getting shot of him. ;)

Thankfully Mr Wolf will do whatever task I ask him to, be it scratting about in the gutters to clean them (and he hates being on ladders) or dusting the lounge, or anything in between. :A
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Minihauk
    Options
    Good morning Fencers. I have lurked on this and other threads for years, but never seem to have anything of interest to post.
    I love the camaraderie you all share.
    I took early retirement 4 years ago and manage to fill my time, so don't miss work at all (except the pay check ;))
    I downsized last year so empathise with all in the process now.
    I look forward to more of your exploits :T
    Minihauk x
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Minihauk, I am sure you will have things of interest to contribute. How do you fill your days since retiring? And has the downsizing been successful?
    One life - your life - live it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure