PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all, another day of marking and number crunching for me. In the middle of which I have been requested to take DS and his friend to the coach they are getting to watch the Villa play later. I shall stop on the way back and get a very few bits of shopping.

Last week OH bought two Tom Kerridge books as he heard a couple of friends who have it have lost significant weight - so the first recipe is being done tonight (salmon traybake). However, I don't think OH realises that he also should not be eating a slice of cake for afters laden with butter and jam!! :eek::( like he did last night. Still I can only do what i can do and at least this is a start.

I also need to go through the house again - i will do a room at a time, starting with the kitchen..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Maybe check if your mum is eligible for any financial help that cpuld pay for a cleaner...paid into & out of an account in her name online maybe ;)

Although we now have a shiny new direct train from London some of the other services have been changed and/or removed by the train company who run out of Blackpool...maybe Preston would be somewhere to consider?

Mum seems to think that having her own house rules her out of a lot of that help, but I'll certainly have a look at that, thank you.

And Preston would be lovely for me, it's years since I've been (went to uni there way back when!). Any other takers? :)
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Veg patch August is about right for field mushrooms but everything else is behaving differently because of the weather. I used to have a gardening book all about growing vegetables that had a timetable. It was really old, belonged to my grandfather. It was written by a newspaper gardener just after the WW1. I expect it was the Daily Herold. The only other person who may remember that is away on holiday. I would not have liked to plant to that timetable with this years weather.

I'm up for meeting Floss if it does not clash with my appointments. I have a feeling I will not have any in September unless I get to see the Rheumatologist.

FPK I have short very narrow feet. Thus the big tick, as they are narrower than the others. I saw some sketchers I liked but my toes were pushed up against the end so I needed a bigger size. I'm going back on Thursday to see if they have it in my size. It was in the kids department. Sketchers are usually too wide for me. If you take less than a size 5 I would recommend you look in the kids department. I used the Arndale Centre shop not the Market Street one. It does give you a good choice.

I have come to the conclusion that it's very difficult to avoid fast fashion, as it is mostly the very expensive clothes that aren't.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Softstuff - I contacted Age Uk for my father and a lady came out to his home and explained what he might entitled to and then helped him fill in claim forms. He owned his own cottage but was still able to get financial help. (Pension credit)

This was a free service and a tremendous help.

HTH :)
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2018 at 7:00PM
    Options
    softstuff British Red Cross also has this sort of service and your mothers local authority will have a similar service too. Yes I know that sounds counter intuitive but they really do battle their employer in some instances.

I would investigate all, even CAB may help. You could do with a representative volunteer. CAB may be so booked up you can't see someone while you are here. They are still inundated with people with problems from Universal Credit.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2018 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Softstuff Your own home is not counted as capital if you are living in it :)
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Options
    Glad ivyleaf is feeling better :)
    It is definitely autumnal these past couple of mornings, I love the freshness though.
    Had a good first couple of days although I am so used to being ultra busy that now not really having anything to do other than read various documents means I!!!8217;m twitching a bit! Give it a couple of weeks and I will be wishing for these quiet days again. Interviewing prospective students next week & the week after which will be a good way of getting into it.
    Despite the lack of busy-ness I have been shattered when I have got home, went to bed at 7 last night and watched tv there! Tonight just laying on the sofa but I am sure I will adapt as I get into a new routine.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    It's the newness making you so tired, Squiggly :) Once you're properly used to the new place and the new job (even though it's one you've done before) you will be fine :)
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Doveling, Nursemaggie and Ivyleaf. I'm going to have a go at a few things while over. I still harbour some hope of getting some social services help, with a visit to the GP providing the impetus, but I have a list now of other avenues. Of course all of this is also dependent on her agreeing....
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you can get some help Softstuff.

Up since silly o'clock. Tension headache.
    A level results tomorrow and my man child is very grumpy and stressy.
    Not a lot I can do but listen and absorb the grumps.
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure