PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 August 2018 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Vegpatch wrote: »
    Morning everyone,
    Didn't mean real shrimp Mardatha!
    Raining here too, but quite a calm gentle rain.
    I agree with Emptynester, the year does seem to have turned.
    Has anyone noticed any of those natural indicators such as rowan trees with lots of berries or similar, which might suggest what type of winter we might get?
    Hope your toe mends soon Wondercollie, and that Squiggly is having a good first day.

Best wishes
    Vegpatch

I noticed yesterday that the rose tree in the garden has loads of hips. The funny thing is, I don't remember it having that many flowers!

nursemaggie Glad to hear you managed to get some shoes and get home safely. Infuriating when you take the wrong glasses! I got halfway to the doctor's surgery once and realised I was still wearing my reading glasses. I explained to the doc when I got in there - I hadn't met her before - and she waved and called "I'm over here!" :D
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Talking of roses, someone has put a red rose bud in one of my planters, I think they think it will grow another one, must be one of the little ones. I think roses have budded and gone over in a few days too dry for them.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're back to winter here weather wise, and here was I thinking it was over. Blimmin freezin!

Bit pooped. Yoga hurt in ways that a 60 minute session with a sadistic weights trainer couldn't. Whoda thunkit. I thought I'd taken it very gently, nothing over done, some things not attempted, but yesterday and today, ouchies. More than just the normal muscular ache too. Anyhoo, may yet attempt it again, but it won't be for more than a week because I'm working on Sunday.

Nursemaggie, glad you found some good trainers. Hope they're still good when you see them with all your glasses ;)

Vegpatch, I'll be looking for similar trousers so will be eager to see if there are any suggestions. *Might* be going to New Zealand for a holiday at some point. It's wetter than Preston apparently!

MMF, I wish you were closer to my Mum.... I'd hire you to look after her :o That casserole sounds lovely, good food can do a lot for a person..
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aww, I wish I could look after your mum, SS. How is she now? Did the necessary agencies offer any advice and support?

It seems that DH is off tomorrow, as am I. I look forward to my Tuesdays off, on my own, doing whatever I want (sometimes that is actually housework :rotfl:) but I shall have to compromise and see what DH wa ts to do tomorrow! If the rain holds off my vote is for a walk and a picnic :D
    Oooh, maybe we could go blackberrying!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    I can see that close without my glasses. It was the boards that are high up so need a ladder to see. I won't do it again it has been a B nuisance. I can't tell the difference between Bolton and Blackburn at that distance. I'd hear a big difference in the accents.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Softstuff have ypu got dates when you are over here yet? Are we still hoping to have some sort of meet-up with as many as can make it?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

I did a periodic online shop for years before I had a car and an OH. I'd do a weekly shop but used a periodic online shop for tins and other heavy things. I've used all of them except Morrisons as they hadn't started yet. I never had a problem with short dated stuff, and some of them even have a guarantee. I believe Ocado used to list things by the date so you could easily check it and send anything back that was too short--but I think that was back when they still did Waitrose deliveries.

The leaves on our cherry tree are edged with reddish brown and the hawthorn berries are bright orange. There are also snowberries starting to form. Afraid I don't know what any of that means in old farming lore, but I'd love to if someone else does :rotfl:

I despise waterproof trousers. I have some Ayacucho quick dry trousers that are a better texture. My heaviest coat is also by them and seems well made after a year. I don't know if they also do proper waterproofs that look nice, but I bought both the coat and the trousers because they were fairly practical and weren't of a 'plasticky' material. I don't own many synthetics and am ridiculously fussy. The coat is smart enough for work. I tried dozens of pairs of craghoppers and couldn't get on with them. Not only did I find the fabric stiff and scratchy because of the high polyester content needed for proper waterproofing, but they were either too tight across the hips to close or so baggy in the waist that they were beyond help from the sewing machine. That said they also tend to look reasonable.

Nursemaggie I know what you mean about being reluctant to shop in SD, but honestly some of the alternatives aren't any better. Amazon treats its staff terribly as well. I had a mate once who insisted she wouldn't shop at Primark because the clothes were made by child and exploited laborers so she went to Asda instead. I'm not sure she realized Asda is owned by Walmart and has its own reputation as a nasty employer, particularly in the states. I think it is important that we care, but I'm not convinced that the occasional shop in one or the other of any of these shops is going to do much to send a message to those in power. I'm glad the trainers are comfy. I'd love a pair of navy trainers. I have short, wide feet and always seem to end up with hot pink something or other.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    Happy to say I feel better this morning :) Thank you for all the good wishes.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Aww, I wish I could look after your mum, SS. How is she now? Did the necessary agencies offer any advice and support?

She's doing ok healthwise now, and isn't seeing roman columns in the street anymore thankfully. As for support being forthcoming, not exactly unfortunately. The GP called and arranged social services to call her and sort out some assistance. Mum requested help with cleaning and housekeeping. Social services apologised, but there is no availability for that in her area. The GP also arranged a home visit from the memory clinic, who say mum is all fine that way. So, most likely, when I go in a few weeks I will spend anything up to a fortnight cleaning. When I say cleaning, I mean including taking actual rubbish from floors by the bag load, not light dusting. Anyhoo, we are going to see the GP while I'm there too. Perhaps I can arrange a private cleaner and pay myself... but I'm not exactly rolling in it.

Floss, I'm do have dates, I'm sort of trying to schedule quite a few things in. Where do we think for a meet? And what sort of thing might we do? I'm in England between 19th September and 4th October, in that I've booked a holiday for a few days in Blackpool with mum as a treat for her and I'm going to visit my sister. Plus there's appointments to get her to, but does anyone have ideas or a preference?
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe check if your mum is eligible for any financial help that cpuld pay for a cleaner...paid into & out of an account in her name online maybe ;)

Although we now have a shiny new direct train from London some of the other services have been changed and/or removed by the train company who run out of Blackpool...maybe Preston would be somewhere to consider?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family