PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On the move again this morning, hopefully to the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight.

We met up with a fellow MSEr yesterday Gintotmelinda and ,her husband.

Hugs to all in need
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They quite excite me too FPK! I'm looking forward to learning how to grow in a cooler and wetter climate, we've been in the far south all our lives and have just moved along the south coast but growing conditions here are very harsh, we have poor soil full of gravel and the climate is a micro climate governed by the Isle of Wight being directly opposite so we get very little rain, no matter how much we feed the soil it is always hungry! To have a decent soil to play with is an excellent prospect and on our last visit the allotments on the new site were vibrant and fecund bursting with healthy verdant growth...can't wait! The free greenhouse is possibly the best thing to have happened since the Zebra was born (well maybe it comes a close second to Nell meeting dear James) and gives the promise of tomatoes, peppers etc. and we'll site it in a lovely sheltered sunny spot so things ought to thrive there too!

Currently we've more home in boxes than is left out and I'm getting impatient for it to all be over, waiting was never my forte in life...onwards and upwards OH YES!!!
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2018 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Hester, good luck with the move. I'm not sure that I could live your life, I put down deep, deep roots wherever I am and it takes an earthquake to move me. I'm the same when it comes to holidays, hate leaving home, perfectly happy when I've been wherever it is for a few days but the journey from A to B is tricky. I take my hat off to you Hester, or I would if I ever wore one.

I spent a long time yesterday making a batch of lemon curd to take up to my brother's on Wednesday. He loves the stuff and being yellow I thought it an appropriate gift for this Golden celebration. Fine in theory but I hadn't reckoned on this batch turning out a murky brown colour. Why? It's never happened before. Sod's law I suppose.

Now I hear that the weather is going to cool off by the end of this week. Oh great! I've being longing for it to be a bit cooler, but not when I have just got all my tropical kit ready to pack. Oh well, I'll just add a cardi or two and hope for the best.

Hope all is well with everyone. Hope mar is suffering unbearable heartburn as retribution for eating stray camels. Surprised to hear that Humphrey is being kitted out by softstuff. I could have sworn that I spotted him this morning doing a bit of fruit picking in my pear tree.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

I know I had matured when I realised that not every situation requires a reaction. Sometimes you've just got to leave people to do the lame stuff that they do.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Monna, maybe the curd... er... tarnished?
    And as for Humphrey, he may well still be there. I was just told he had a ticket for travel, so I've been crocheting in advance 1 camel sized kale ghillie suit. Like FPK says, it takes a while so I need a head start.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just HAD to de-lurk to tell you this story.....:D

My wonderful DD has just returned from a two-week vet nursing placement on a game reserve in South Africa.:T
    She was excitedly telling us about her experience - on the first day they had a presentation from one of the rangers about poaching.
    Now, most people think animals are poached for their horns or skins.Anyhooooo, the ranger was telling the students a story of how an elephant had wandered too close to a village and was considered a danger - so they shot him. The villagers then portioned him up and each family had a hunk of meat to eat. All this in a village that had hardly any crops and certainly no access to meat. DD said it was the only meat those families would have had for months.
    She was not best pleased when I sniggered :rotfl:
    Lilli
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Priceless!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hester - is CHS expecting you to do all the !ocks? Could you take a break somewhere? I do think you should helm - you need to just in case CHS was ever poorly. I worry about you. Must admit CHS sounds like my DH - no good at giving clear instructions and zero patience! Mind you he's brilliant at mending and making things.
    Monna - I'm booked in at the marina! Wouldn't you know it's this Saturday when your DB has his golden wedding celebrations - sods law again!
    Softstuff - if you use double kale thread and an extra large hook you will be able to make the suit much quicker ;)
    I took my boat out yesterday - as it was a late tide just motored across the harbour as there wasn't much wind and anchored in the bay. Bit of a squash with DS1 and 3 friends on board. DS1 and two of the friends decided to go for a swim - much hilarity as they tried to get back on board up the little boarding ladder at the stern. Stunningly beautiful evening with the sun reflecting on flat calm water - felt very blessed.
    Got home to find DH has the collywobbles so dug out the pills and at least he managed a good night without any dashes to the loo. BTW DH was doing man things with metal, welding and grinding yesterday - sigh. Today I'll be playing nursemaid and disinfecting everywhere he could have touched Justin :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shucks Silva. How many times is that we have arranged a rendez-vous? I reckon that we are destined never to meet and you will for ever be picturing me as this tall. slim, elegant figure with drop dead gorgeous hair and truly classy clothes. Quite right too.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, to be able to look how I hope other people picture me. Or even how I picture myself :rotfl:

Perfectly tasteful, perfectly fitted clothes. Smooth hair always elegantly styled and never frizzy or fluffy or sticking out at all angles. Quiet in a collected and calm sort of way. Well spoken. Never shrill or mousy. Friendly but authoritative (that one is for my students. Apparently they think I'm a decade younger than I am. This might be flattering in some contexts but isn't in mine). Statuesque.

Oh well.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lilli That's so funny :D glad your DD enjoyed her placement though :)

silva and monnagran What a shame you're destined to miss each other again :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback