PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Karcher try weak tea without milk, it may go down easier xx Hope you are keeping up other fluids too xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    karcher

It does sound like flu so please rest and stay hydrated . I found sips of flat lemonade helped when I had a tummy upset. Maybe a herbal tea bag used to make a cuppa and then cooled down?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Elona was it you who was reading Joe Donnelly? How did you get on with him, did you love him?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha

You are right. I am reading Joe Donnelly and still have a couple more books to read, His writing is very detailed and atmospheric so even as a fast reader usually it takes me longer to read a book of his but I am enjoying them a lot.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 January 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options
    ((((( 0 )))) Karcher . As you live alone I think you should let someone know how poorly you are - your doctor, a relative or a neighbour. Even if you are not friends with the neighbours people do rally round when needed.

I would gladly pop in if you lived near me.

The talking to neighbours thing.... well it is much more difficult to stand chatting in real life nowadays, isn't it? Many people in households both work to pay the ridiculous high costs of mortgages (even on small houses!) or rents. The time taken to travel to and from work is often an hour or a lot more. If you have a young family, or care for older relatives, your time is fully committed. A great shame that we simply don't have enough time to be as neighbourly as we might wish. I gave up full time work after we paid off our mortgage because with all the money in the world you can't buy time, and that is more valuable to me than more possessions.

However (forgive the grammar faux pas), there are plenty of good neighbours still around. My 87 y.o. auntie has a lovely young family nextdoor to her. She bakes cakes for them and babysits every afternoon while dad collects the eldest child from primary school. She is there in a crisis if they need someone to sit with the children (eg, recently one of them works away and was very late home due to road chaos when the other one was poorly). It has given her a new lease of life, having a small human to care for and play with, and the neighbours adore my auntie because this 1/2 hour of her time makes life so much easier for them. In return they take her shopping or pick up her prescription etc. A win win situation.

One of my clients is housebound and her neighbours are fabulous. She has several visitors a day, her shopping is done for her, she is kept up to speed with village gossip, etc. I think the key there is i) she is a lovely person who everyone is glad to visit and ii) her neighbours are mostly retired so they have a bit more time to share.

I like TFTD Monna :D

Welcome, MrAPJI !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karcher just popping up to say I am into week 2 of the dreaded flu and surviving on weak orange squash so don’t be surprised if you can’t take tea, just as long as you manage plenty of fluids in some format. I am a healthy, half marathon running fifty something and this has absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me. Take care and don’t be afraid to call for help!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karcher - as others have said it is imperative that you keep your fluid levels up even if you don't fancy eating much. With the chills and fevers you lose so much fluid and the danger is your blood pressure will drop which is serious in itself. Even if you can just take sips of something (anything!!)
    I do worry that you don't seem to have anyone to check on you. Perhaps when you're feeling better maybe you can get some sort of backup plan in place.
    Stay warm & virtual hugs
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karcher Sorry but I have only just read how ill you are. I can't give you any more advice than others except than when I can't keep much down, I have flat lemonade and water. Half and half. Obviously my healing vibes are not working very well, so will try harder.
    I really hope you start on the mend soon, sending much love and hugs.
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2018 at 10:43PM
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    What a wonderfully supportive thread this is :)

When I first saw this thread title, I was taken back to my early childhood. Memories of returning home from school and seeing mum stood chatting to the lady next door 'over the garden fence'. Those were the days when neighbours spoke to one another and gave support when needed. My goodness how times have changed, and sadly not for the better.

DH and I are from opposite ends of our county. Our families didn't know each other. We got together after a chance meeting 15 years ago.

However, on my landing wall is a black and white photograph of my grandma and DH's grandma sat on my grandma's step. They lived next door to each other in another completely different part of the county and were thick as thieves! They never went in each others houses but they did like to put the world to rights over their perfectly scrubbed steps, cup of tea in hand and work overall on.

It's precious because my girls have both their great grandma's on one photograph. Life is uncanny sometimes. :)
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Karcher , hope your feeling better ... wished we lived nearby , fluid, rest, painkillers to help with aches, steam for the congestion... honey and a squeeze of lemon if you have it would help with cough

Still lots of snow here ... drove about 15 miles today trying to find somewhere with little or no snow so I could run ... Didn't so ended up running 4 miles In very icy conditions , tomorrows football is called off , so will run In the morning , behind bar in the afternoon .and go shopping at some point ...

Right night all, going to try and get a few hours xx
    £223/ £250 GC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport